Other Sorcerous Origins

RhaezDaevan

Explorer
I'd like some feedback on possible other options for a Sorcerous Origin.

Fey Bloodline

Fey Ancestor
Your fey heritage lends you some of the benefits of your ancestors. At 1st level, when not wearing armor, your base walking speed is increased by 10 feet. Additionally, you can communicate with plants and animals, but can only pass basic ideas and feelings back and forth.

Fey Spellcaster
Your fey heritage links you to nature. When choosing spells known, you may choose spells from the druid spell list. Only half your spells known, round down, may be from the druid spell list.

Fey Transposition
Starting at 6th level, on your turn, you may spend 1 sorcery point to teleport half your base walking speed (round down) instead of moving normally. This distance can be increased to your whole base walking speed by spending 2 sorcery points instead of one.

Fey Resilience
Starting at 14th level, you become immune to disease. You also have advantage on saving throws to resist poisons and charms.

Eyes of the Fey
Starting at 18th level, your eyes are transformed into those of your ancestor. You have advantage on saves ability checks and skill rolls to see through illusions and disguises. You also treat invisible creatures as not being invisible.

What do people think? Are there any shenanigans with spell points being spent on druid spells?

I'll work on other origins while I wait for feedback.

CM

Adventurer
What do people think? Are there any shenanigans with spell points being spent on druid spells?

I'll work on other origins while I wait for feedback.

I haven't examined the existing origins in detail but I don't see anything controversial here.

I might move the charm resistance to 6th level. Since invisibility always seemed to me to be a key trait of fey I might add in something like the following:

Fey Trickery: Starting at 6th level, if you know the Invisibility spell you can cast it as a bonus action if you cast it on yourself only.

(standard rule preventing casting of both a non-cantrip spell and a bonus action spell in the same turn applies).

Afrodyte

Explorer
First of all, I'm delighted that someone besides me wants to see more origins for sorcerers. Secondly, I'm glad I'm not the only one who'd want something for changelings and other humanoids who would have ties to the fey.

I can't really comment on the mechanics because, frankly, that's not my strong suit, and I haven't had a chance to play through the rules as-is just yet.

Flavor-wise, I see steps in the right direction, but there are elements of fey myths and legends that I believe would be very appropriate for the fey sorcerous origin. A few things off the top of my head
  • Powerful enchantments and illusions. Think of those stories where fey play with the concept of free will, compelling mortals to perform a task even beyond the point of despair and/or agony. And of all the stories about faerie feasts that vanish into thin air once a mortal wakes up.
  • Magically binding oaths and curses!
  • Vulnerability to iron
  • Agelessness. Fey are often portrayed as both old souls and eternal children.

Of course, the trick would be to distinguish a fey origin sorcerer from a bard or from an enchanter. In my mind, I see it as the difference between using electricity and being lightning.

From the perspective of flavor, it would be interesting to see:
  • Character type changing to that of one's origin. So, in the case of a fey sorcerer, the character would become the fey creature type.
  • Skill proficiencies or expertise pertaining to the fey origins. Deception, Nature, Persuasion, and Stealth spring to mind.
  • Some type of boost or bonus to thematically appropriate spells.

(What I want to see next: celestial and fiendish origins.)

RhaezDaevan

Explorer
I haven't examined the existing origins in detail but I don't see anything controversial here.

I might move the charm resistance to 6th level. Since invisibility always seemed to me to be a key trait of fey I might add in something like the following:

Fey Trickery: Starting at 6th level, if you know the Invisibility spell you can cast it as a bonus action if you cast it on yourself only.

(standard rule preventing casting of both a non-cantrip spell and a bonus action spell in the same turn applies).

The other origins don't have any reliance on choosing a certain spell, so it'd have to give Invisibility as a bonus spell known. Plus, both of the phb origins give the sorcerer something extra to spend sorcery points on.

So, maybe an alternate 6th level ability could be:

Fey Trickery

Starting at 6th level you gain Invisibility as a spell known if you don't already have it. This spell doesn't count towards your spells known maximum. Once per day, you may spend only 2 sorcery points to cast Invisibility on yourself.

I think I like Fey Transposition better though, but it could be the first case of the player making a choice within an origin between the two abilities.

RhaezDaevan

Explorer
First of all, I'm delighted that someone besides me wants to see more origins for sorcerers. Secondly, I'm glad I'm not the only one who'd want something for changelings and other humanoids who would have ties to the fey.

I can't really comment on the mechanics because, frankly, that's not my strong suit, and I haven't had a chance to play through the rules as-is just yet.

Flavor-wise, I see steps in the right direction, but there are elements of fey myths and legends that I believe would be very appropriate for the fey sorcerous origin. A few things off the top of my head
  • Powerful enchantments and illusions. Think of those stories where fey play with the concept of free will, compelling mortals to perform a task even beyond the point of despair and/or agony. And of all the stories about faerie feasts that vanish into thin air once a mortal wakes up.
  • Magically binding oaths and curses!
  • Vulnerability to iron
  • Agelessness. Fey are often portrayed as both old souls and eternal children.

Of course, the trick would be to distinguish a fey origin sorcerer from a bard or from an enchanter. In my mind, I see it as the difference between using electricity and being lightning.

From the perspective of flavor, it would be interesting to see:
  • Character type changing to that of one's origin. So, in the case of a fey sorcerer, the character would become the fey creature type.
  • Skill proficiencies or expertise pertaining to the fey origins. Deception, Nature, Persuasion, and Stealth spring to mind.
  • Some type of boost or bonus to thematically appropriate spells.

(What I want to see next: celestial and fiendish origins.)

Perhaps allow them to pick their 2 class skill proficiencies from those, but they shouldn't get extra skills. I'll have to take a look at what enchantment/illusion spells they get access to, but it would have to be a slight boost to both, as I think the Wizard's schtick is to master one school.

As for a celestial or fiendish origin, can you give some general ideas on what they could/should have? I'm currently working on an aberrant origin, for those who want some madness in their ancestry.

Afrodyte

Explorer
Perhaps allow them to pick their 2 class skill proficiencies from those, but they shouldn't get extra skills. I'll have to take a look at what enchantment/illusion spells they get access to, but it would have to be a slight boost to both, as I think the Wizard's schtick is to master one school.

As for a celestial or fiendish origin, can you give some general ideas on what they could/should have? I'm currently working on an aberrant origin, for those who want some madness in their ancestry.

The thing that springs to mind about a celestial origin is that spark of the divine. Not sure how that would work mechanically, but I definitely see radiant damage being one of their things. Not in the way of clerics and paladins serving a deity or cause, but with sorcerers being like their celestial ancestors. Also, I'd be keen to emphasize that light does not mean good, and good does not mean nice.

For fiendish origin, I'm thinking of someone like Damien Thorn (the Antichrist in the Omen movies). Yes, hellfire and brimstone, but also a way with words and people, a knack for influencing the baser emotions and instincts. Also, it's important to remember that a fiendish ancestor does not make someone evil.

Oooooh! One of the things I was noticing was how, with some sorcerous origins, maybe the character ages slowly or not at all?

yakuba

Explorer
I love this concept. This is exactly what the Sorcerer needs as far as I'm concerned. That said on the mechanics. I think you push too much in the Fey = nature direction. I'd like to see more Illusion and Enchantment based bennie's as another posted already suggested. Also I think opening up the entire Druids list is a too much additional flexibility. I'd prefer to stay with established motif of adding a couple of auto prepared spells per spell level. And I'd like a mix between Nature, Enchantment, and Illusion magics for that list.

Still I want to say again, this is a wonderful concept!

Sadras

Legend
Have to echo @Afrodyte 's and @yakuba 's posts this is a great thread and concept. I think we could see some great ideas springing forth. Other origins that springs to mind is Elemental from the Elemental Kin (Sylph, Pech, Salamander, Nereid) or Genie (Djinni, Dao, Efreeti, Marid, Jann).

RhaezDaevan

Explorer
Have to echo @Afrodyte 's and @yakuba 's posts this is a great thread and concept. I think we could see some great ideas springing forth. Other origins that springs to mind is Elemental from the Elemental Kin (Sylph, Pech, Salamander, Nereid) or Genie (Djinni, Dao, Efreeti, Marid, Jann).

I can already predict that some origins will have to steal from other origins, as they would have thematically similar abilities. An elemental bloodline would probably get the draconic bloodline's Elemental Affinity. A celestial bloodline would probably get something similar to the draconic bloodline Dragon Wings (Angelic Wings?). Etc.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I too would like more origins. Even just a "plain" one would be nice. I don't want to be forced into either wild magic (which I don't like) or draconic (used to death). I think they could probably pull a lot of good ideas from AD&D 2e's Spells and Magic Player's Option book. I know there's some overlap with warlock there, but they could expand some of those origins.

For example, one of the things I think of when I hear "sorcerer" is the old S&S books. Desert sorcerers who also rely on alchemy to augment powers. Or the fire mage (name is slipping my memory) from The Adventurer's comic from the 80s.

Remove ads