D&D 5E Was there a mistake with the sorcerer weapons? (sorcerer and simple weapons)

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I was thinking, could somebody tweet Mike Mearls about this? I mean someone who he is likely to pay attention to? (because he must be very busy right now with the DMG and the media attention post Gen Con)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I'm just happy that 5E doesn't require sorcerers to wear 20+ belts....

1370385502802.jpg

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Q: [MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls Sorcerer equipment says "(b) any simple weapon" But they don't have simple weapon prof. Were they supposed to?

A: [MENTION=13310]Yeti[/MENTION]Moose they did at one point! I remember writing that blurb, but the weapons listed under profs are the intended ones.

Q: @MikeMearls Sorcerer equipment says "(b) any simple weapon" But they don't have simple weapon prof. Were they supposed to?

A: @YetiMoose they did at one point! I remember writing that blurb, but the weapons listed under profs are the intended ones.
Well, that's a fun little quirk of 5E. A sorcerer can start with a weapon that he or she doesn't know how to use. I can see plenty of RP potential for that.

MoonSong

Well that's sad to hear, though I wonder why they would do that? wasn't conversion one of the reasons they withdrew the other sorcerer?

Well I guess that all future sorcerers I play will start as bards or warlocks...

bolo__

First Post
Well, that's a fun little quirk of 5E. A sorcerer can start with a weapon that he or she doesn't know how to use. I can see plenty of RP potential for that.

Anyone can start with a weapon they're not proficient in!
Assuming you're DM allows you to start with Gold per Class rather than relying on Class & Background equipment.

MoonSong

Anyone can start with a weapon they're not proficient in!
Assuming you're DM allows you to start with Gold per Class rather than relying on Class & Background equipment.
But that is different, basically the equipment packages paint you a picture of the class, you wouldn't expect a rogue to receive plate on her starting package do you? It is the same thing, the package is misleading wether you are a new player or someone comming from a previous edition.

But that is different, basically the equipment packages paint you a picture of the class, you wouldn't expect a rogue to receive plate on her starting package do you? It is the same thing, the package is misleading wether you are a new player or someone comming from a previous edition.
It would be more like a rogue starting with a chain shirt, which is now classed as medium armor, after having been worn by millions of rogues ever since 3E.

Remove ads