D&D 4E 4e needs a Definitive Guide

Dungeoneer

First Post
The Late to the 4e Party thread has got me thinking: for tables thinking of giving 4e a try, getting started is intimidating. The first Player's Handbook has a lot of issues that were later corrected and is missing some important classes and races. The skill DC chart was revised twice. The first Monster Manual is completely obsolete. The early adventures were horrible.

Cobbling together an 'optimal' version of 4e requires deep system knowledge. The DDI tools help, but they are on borrowed time. Someone needs to create a 'definitive guide' to 4e.

The reason things are so confusing is that 4e was in many ways a 'living edition'. It got constant updates in the form of online errata. Some of it fixed serious problems in the game. Some of it you could pretty easily live without. Later books superseded earlier books in many ways (example: you really ought to use the Monster Vault rather than the first Monster Manual for your standard monster selection). There are multiple versions of many classes (Should I use a Mage or a Wizard? A (Battlemaster) Fighter, a Slayer or a Knight?). There are racial variants, too. A lot of this stuff genuinely improved the game which was great. But it could easily overwhelm new DMs and players.

4e also offers the players an enormous number of sources for class powers and feats. There were three PHBs; I don't know how many 'Heroes of...' books; two volumes of Martial Power plus Arcane and Divine and Primal Power; settings books; many volumes of Dragon magazine filled with options; the occasional 'power card' that came with a pack of minis; and a lot of other stuff I can't be bothered to remember.

Now we can debate whether 4e ultimately held up its end of the 'everything is core' bargain, but if nothing else that is simply TOO MANY OPTIONS for people new to the game to wade through.

A related issue is that 4e players and DMs have always relied heavily on the DDI tools. The char builder and the compendium gathered the hundreds of options in one place and made sure that where rules applied they were the most up-to-date ones. Well, we all know that DDI is living on borrowed time. In the best case scenario it will live on for a couple of years, but when it is gone it will get a lot harder to build correct characters, especially for 'teh n00bs'.

I think a few brave volunteers need to put their heads together and create a guide that cuts through the cruft and outlines what you REALLY need to play the best version of the game. Here are some things that should be in it:

• Which books you need?
  • Which errata is essential and will really improve your game?
  • What is the correct DC skill chart?
  • Which classes are the 'good' classes*?
  • What sources for feats, powers and magic items should a DM allow?
  • Which published adventure modules don't suck?
  • Also, which supplements are not required for play but would be nice to have access to? (my ex: Arcane Power)

The guide should focus on telling players and DMs what the bare minimum is that they need to play the game the way it was meant to be played. It should not attempt to be comprehensive.

Is anyone interested in working on this?

Now that I've thrown this out there I have to admit that I cannot be the one to take the lead on this. I just don't have the time these days. I hate to be all, "Here's a great idea that other people should totally do!" but I think something like this would be really valuable to future players and DMs. So I really hope others are interested.

If nothing else, we can brainstorm. I'm curious to hear others' answers to the above bullet points.

* Maybe this will be an area where people disagree, but I think there is a consensus that things like the Binder and the Vampire are crap and there's no point in even looking at them. The original PHB Paladin is also widely considered problematic.

Remathilis

Legend
The Late to the 4e Party thread has got me thinking: for tables thinking of giving 4e a try, getting started is intimidating. The first Player's Handbook has a lot of issues that were later corrected and is missing some important classes and races. The skill DC chart was revised twice. The first Monster Manual is completely obsolete. The early adventures were horrible.

Cobbling together an 'optimal' version of 4e requires deep system knowledge. The DDI tools help, but they are on borrowed time. Someone needs to create a 'definitive guide' to 4e..

I don't play 4e, but would not a good starting point be the Essentials line? I know they themselves are a bit contentious, but the Essentials seem like the closest to a "modern" version of the 4e rules: the Rules Compendium was fairly updated, the monster math was fixed, the classes were better balanced, etc. You really couldn't go wrong with the the Two Heroes books, the DM box, and the Two Monster Vaults (+ a RC for quick reference) as far as choices go and expand on from there.

Dungeoneer

First Post
I don't play 4e, but would not a good starting point be the Essentials line? I know they themselves are a bit contentious, but the Essentials seem like the closest to a "modern" version of the 4e rules: the Rules Compendium was fairly updated, the monster math was fixed, the classes were better balanced, etc. You really couldn't go wrong with the the Two Heroes books, the DM box, and the Two Monster Vaults (+ a RC for quick reference) as far as choices go and expand on from there.
A lot of us feel that the Essentials classes themselves leave a lot to be desired and strip out a lot of what we liked about 4e. That's not universal, btw, I think the Essentials Mage is a little bit better than the original Wizard. On the other hand some of the weakest classes in the game were also 'essentials'. It's hard to just recommend everything with 'essentials' on the cover for that reason, although the Rules Compendium and the first Monster Vault would def. be part of any '4e starter set' I put together.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Cobbling together an 'optimal' version of 4e requires deep system knowledge.

Yes, but someone just trying it out does not *need* an optimal version of 4e. They need a working, functional version of 4e. They then learn what the system is like, and figure otu what, if anything, they really want to do with it, and *then* optimize to fit their personal needs.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=91777]Dungeoneer[/MENTION]

I tend to agree with [MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION]. If you're just getting into 4e any starting point is fine. More precision about the optimum experienced is better suited to those with some system mastery.

And I've done my part to make the system more accessible for DMs with my 4e DM Cheat Sheet. A read thru of DMG or the DM's Kit, a few sessions experience, and reading that thread will enable a DM to use just that cheat sheet (and whatever adventure/monsters they need) at the table and no other game books.

MoutonRustique

Explorer
For my 2cp, I believe 4e could be presented as such:

Players - take anything you feel like, it all works. Some things are stronger than others, but not by much and you'll get a feel pretty fast.

DMs - have a little care : buy the Monster Vault (personally, I would suggest the MV:TttNV - man I love that box) and we could list a few of the "easier / more approachable adventures" a list of perhaps 5-6 total w/ 2-3 1st level and the others going up to 6th? Also a short discussion on Skill Challenges, what they are, what they are meant to be and present (vs explain in depth) some of the easier alternates. Lastly, a brief exposé on items / inherent bonuses and the real impact of those items : i.e. not that big a deal at the lower levels!

The thing about 4e, IMO, is that it is intimidating only in that it looks intimidating. If you can show people a "corner piece" the rest of the puzzle always seems to fall into place easily enough...

I see all these posters complain about the "mathy-ness" of 4e, when my experience has been that the game is really hard to break. If you really change the amount of treasure or something, you'll feel some effects in game, sure, but nothing that isn't easier by /miles/ to adjucate and wing than in prior editions (I'm talking about the DM side of things.)

Disclamer : I /am/ glad so many seem to have "found D&D again", but I am very, very sad that 4e was killed-off so quickly... I see so many roads not taken, so much... just, SO MUCH that will never be...:.-(

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
  • Which books you need?
I'm personally a fan of the C4 pdfs, so on the players' side I say 'nothing.' If a player really wants to hold a solid book in hand, I always suggest the original PHB.

On the DM side of things, you can't go wrong with the MV 1 and the DMG.

• Which errata is essential and will really improve your game?
I hardly remember what the errata document actually looks like, so I'm just going to say "Stealth errata, and give all PCs the Expertise bonuses and Improved Defenses."

• What is the correct DC skill chart?
Damned if I know. 10/15/20 + half adventure/enemy level works for me. Admittedly, I don't run skill challenges though.

• Which classes are the 'good' classes*?
As Mouton Rustique says, they're all good...at least until you get to the E-classes. Can't make any specific comments here though, as I don't touch 'em with a ten-foot pole.

• What sources for feats, powers and magic items should a DM allow?
Any and all!

• Which published adventure modules don't suck?
That's a good question. I've heard that the later 4e adventures are good, but I mostly run my own stuff, so the only definitive suggestion I can give is: Don't play Keep on the Shadowfell!

• Also, which supplements are not required for play but would be nice to have access to? (my ex: Arcane Power)
If you're interested in fluff, any and all! If you're interested in crunch, anything that doesn't begin with 'Heroes of the....'

Can you guess how worthwhile I think the E-half of 4e is? ;)

delericho

Legend
I don't play 4e, but would not a good starting point be the Essentials line?

I would agree with this, particularly as a starting point (but skip the Red Box - the best thing about that is the box). Once familiar with that starting point you can then add any and all options you want from other books, since Essentials is almost* 100% compatible.

* I say 'almost' because of the ongoing revisions that 4e saw, which means that very early supplements will work with Essentials, but maybe not terribly well. But then, for anyone running 4e I would strongly recommend the DDI suite, for as long as it lasts anyway.

Since I've DMed 4e far more than played, it's easier to look at the DM side of things for me. I'd propose a list of the best adventures, including from the free LFR adventures. (I've never run any of those yet, so I can't review any properly.)

From the player side, I'd propose a list of classes that are not only good at their role, but fun, and what sort of optimization the class may need if it's on the weak side. Something like this, but more professional: "The fighter is great at its role. The ranger and fire elementalist sorcerer are great at their roles, but might be considered boring since you're doing variations of the same thing over and over again. The warden is okay at its role, and needs optimization, here are some tips..."

Players - take anything you feel like, it all works.

That's not really true. There are some classes that are really weak at their role, or require a lot of optimization to work, such as the binder and vampire. 4e is well-balanced. It is not perfectly balanced. It is clearly written. It is not perfectly clear.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases