What motivates you to act?

Janx

Hero
You don't have to trust them. There are several free third-party services that audit and review charity spending, and then give you the ratings and a breakdown of where the money is going.

a) I have to know such third party exists and trust that third party and go look it all up
b) Based on those review, I have to decide which one is the most efficient and trustworthy
c) If I'm not going to stop what I'm doing to hand a dollar to the guy with the donation jar, I'm not going to take even longer to google up his charity and then decide to not give him a dollar.

Again, one man's reason is another man's excuse.

The short of it is my charity extends to the reach of my hands. If I ain't running it, I ain't donating to it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
a) I have to know such third party exists and trust that third party and go look it all up

Well, now being informed that such exists, the first part of this isn't so much of an issue :)

As for trust - qualified charities do have to report their financials to keep their tax status straight. These third parties just do the review for you. You can double check the services if you wanted. Or check them against each other.

c) If I'm not going to stop what I'm doing to hand a dollar to the guy with the donation jar, I'm not going to take even longer to google up his charity and then decide to not give him a dollar.

Well, there's a matter of risk tolerance. If what you are going to do is spend a dollar here or there, that makes good sense. If you're intending to put in hundreds of dollars and/or days of time into a charity, then some research makes sense.

The short of it is my charity extends to the reach of my hands. If I ain't running it, I ain't donating to it.

That is, of course, your choice. But, in so doing, you fail to take any advantage of economy of scale. For example - your $5 handed to a homeless man on the street probably doesn't go as far as $5 given to a well-run food bank.

reesekj

First Post
So, it turns out that getting people to do good things is like pulling teeth.

The world has issues in it. Everyone likes to complain about them. But, when provided with an opportunity to act in a positive way... folks often ignore it, pass it by, click "like", but don't actually *do* anything.

So, here's the question: What does it take to get you, personally, to take action. Let us limit the consideration, for the moment, to charity works. What does it take to get you to give a little of your time or money for a cause that you already think is a good one? What gets you over the hump?

Cookies. I always buy Girls Scout cookies when I see their stand outside Walmart xD

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I don't give money to charities, the reasons are varied. From thinking that certain charities should be paid for from the collective taxes we pay (and we pay a LOT here) to getting more then a little annoyed at getting three folks collecting money for charity a DAY at certain points during the summer.

I've done the collecting for charity when I was younger with our local boyscout troupe, but I wouldn't do that again.

I have used 25% lower rates for my IT freelance services with non-profits though, mostly because they couldn't afford the normal IT rates and aren't running a profit...

I think that the 'Monkeysphere' is crude but accurate, my zone of action is small and very specific. The neighbor next door is only more on my radar then the one two streets over because they keep making this godaweful racket! I'll intervene if someone is attacked, I'll open the door for folks, even stand for the old (if I notice them).

Getting a person like me to participate in a charity activity is difficult at best. It's easier to do when you do it with groups, church and boyscouts can be as easily subverted to do charity work together as your local chapter of the Hell's Angels ;-)

As a side note. I've given folks that needed money and asked me on the street, twice. Both times it was a scam. One would pay me back later, never heard from him. The other had a sob story about a situation that just came up and gave me the same spiel a few days later (didn't recognize me). Both times I seriously suspected a scam but gave money anyway (~€10-€15), more like an experiment in having fate in people...

Jack7

First Post
A Plan

Nothing in particular for me Umbran. I realize that I have only so much time and so much money. So years and years ago I developed a Charity and Philanthropy Plan.

It is similar to my Investment Plan, but in reverse.

I donate to certain categories of charity, such as church, medical, missions, poor children, animal, local, national, international, etc. Just as I invest in certain general categories of enterprises, stocks, real estate, start-ups, etc. My charity categories determine my general approaches or applications.

My categories decide what what general problems I am seeking to fix or what general types of help I get involved in (monetarily). then I research certain specific charities and how they do, etc. I do not engage in silly and impractical ideas like every charity must give 100% of it’s operating budget to the actual charitable work because I’ve run businesses and my wife works for a non-profit. I know way too much about business and understand that such enterprises are both businesses and charities. Without being run like a business the charity will likely fail. But I do look at how effective they are, and how much of their income goes to their work versus how much to overhead and administrative costs and executive salaries. I have criteria that must be met. I look at charitable operations as I would a prospectus or business plan.

Then when I’m satisfied I donate. I do so on a regular basis as a percentage of income just as I would donate a certain amount of income automatically to both savings and my investment portfolio. That way it’s done and I don’t have to screw with it anymore than I do with my long range portfolio or savings, except that every six months to a year I do a review to see if the charity is still functioning well and operating cleanly. If so I let it sit, if not, I pull and redirect.

A couple of times, due to the economy or personal business and financial situations I’ve had to mostly pull our charity ops temporarily, but with the Plan I always pick up where I left off, no problem.

If something unforeseen comes up like a big disaster or a local event then I’ll make one time donations or actions to do what I can to solve that problem. For instance, once at our church a church member suffered a house fire and their family lost everything. So my family went out and bought a new wardrobe for the young daughter who happened to be about the same age as our daughter. That’s how I handle one time emergencies, otherwise I stick to my Plan. Every few years I might change percentages to certain categories, add or subtract categories, or pull or add specific charities. As our income increases the share that goes to charity increases proportionately. Just as it does with investment or business.

I’m too old and too busy to do much direct charity myself, that is I don’t generally do charity work (I donate instead), except occasionally for church or I might do something pro bono for someone I know in need, that I think needs the help, or that I want to help (for whatever reason).

As for philanthropy I do take a personal involvement in that kind of thing - library support, etc. And when I become wealthy enough I’ll establish a few philanthropic ventures of my own, build a library, help with a hospital, establish a college trust, etc.

But overall for me it is a well defined and automatically executed Plan.

A good plan saves a helluvah lotta work if you ask me.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I do not give money, ever.
I give my time.
I give my skills.
Basically, it has to be there, in front of me, when there is a chance I can actually meaningfully help someone.
I stop to help people with flat tires.
I've done web banners for a couple of sites and (hopefully) inspirational videos.
I helped someone for the last week of his life as best I could. (OK, I did get a great cat our of the deal, when said cat needed a new home.)

But as soon as a "charity" or "non-profit" organization has people on salary, they are off my list of valid or viable donations.
Except for vets or other animal care.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases