ISTARI prestige class for LOTR / d20 Middle-earth

Turanil

First Post
Following the magician core class (on another thread of this forum), i decided to add a prestige class for the Istari (of which Gandalf and Saruman belonged to).

I would be glad to get comments on balance, clarity, writing style (english is not my native language), skills, abilities, and get other suggestions.

There is a doc file with fine editing for this class if you would prefer for ease of reading. Normally attached here; or just ask me (by email).

Thanks,

DOM

---------------------------------------
ISTARI ORDER Prestige Class

- Hit-die: d4
- BAB: as sorcerers / wizards
- Saves: as sorcerers / wizards
- Spell progression: +1 spellcasting level at each level (like Loremaster).

The Istari Order appeared during the Third Age at the instigation of the Valar, to watch over Sauron on their behalf. However, the Istari were not meant to confront and defeat Sauron with raw power. Instead, they would counsel and unite the Free Peoples of Middle Earth in their struggles against him. As such, the Istari originally appeared as wise old men, and refrained from open use of magic. In fact, displays of mighty power could have seem a threat to others, or induced the idea the Free Peoples didn't need do anything against Sauron, since powerful magicians would do it on their behalf. Nonetheless, the original Istari were much more than humans, and despite appearing like wizened sages, lived for centuries, strong of body and mind.

After the War of the Ring, and the leaving of Gandalf the White to the West, the Istari order came to an end. However, it quickly appeared that all evil had not left Middle-earth with Sauron, and despite the world at large had been saved, malignancy would continue to plague the Free Peoples. So, an order of sages that could warn and counsel them, remained useful if not necessary. As such, it befell to Radagast to reform the order during the fourth age. However, where the first Istari were only five, and all of Maiar origin, things would be different for the reborn order. While its purpose would remain similar, its members would be much more numerous, and would be from among elves or dunedain, even sometimes among dwarves, and humans. On the other hand, while the original Istari had been magicians of extraordinary ability, the new order would for the most gather mages of lesser stature. This prestige class relates more to that new Istari order, than the original one.

The name Istar (plural: Istari) meaning Wise One, the role of the order appears to be one of counseling and help, rather than one of "battle mages". Yet, the Istari oppose evil, and will use their spells to that end if necessary. They should otherwise remain discreet, refraining from inconsiderate use of magic and act behind the scene. Their hierarchy is relatively simple. There is a council of five, recognizable by their color, with the white reserved to the order's leader, and the gray to its second. The three others wear whatever color suits them best, such as green or brown. Then, below those five, all Istari are more or less equal and are clad in sea-blue. Istari are otherwise traditionally drawn from the ranks of arcane spellcasters.

----------------------------------------------------------------

REQUIREMENT

To qualify to become an Istar, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
Alignment: non evil.
Race: Elves, Dunedains (half-elves), or Maiar (half celestial). During the 4th age, other races may also apply at GM's discretion.
Knowledge (Arcana): 10 ranks.
Knowledge (any): 10 ranks.
Spellcraft: 10 ranks.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 4th-level spells.
Special: To be accepted into the Istari Order, a candidate must be known to them and have served the Istari before. That is, he must have proved his goodness and willingness to help the Free Peoples in their struggles against evil.

----------------------------------------------------------------

CLASS SKILLS

The Istar's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Alchemy (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather information (Cha), Knowledge (all) (Int), Profession (Wis), Scry (Int), Spellcraft (Int), and Use magic device (Cha).

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + INT modifier.

CLASS FEATURES

All of the following are class features of the Istar prestige class.
Hit Die:
d4 (four).

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Istari are proficient with the quarterstaff. They do not gain any other proficiencies of weapons or armor.

Spells:
Istari continue their spellcasting-progression as in their former class (like the Loremaster in this regard), gaining a new casting level every new level (but no other benefit such as class abilities or else). Characters with more than one previous spell-casting class must select the one that enabled them to become an Istar (see requirements).

Domain Spells:
As an organization defending Arda on the behalf of the Valar, the Istari gain access to a clerical domain. This domain is at the individual Istar's choice, but should be related to protecting the world and opposing evil (also see Secret Fire domain for the Istar prestige class at the end of description). At first level, the Istar only gains the granted power of this domain. Then, each subsequent level he gains one of the nine domain spells to use as a spell-like ability once per day (in addition to his normal daily allotment of spells). So, at 2nd level he gains the 1st level spell of his chosen domain to use as a spell like ability once per day; then at 3rd level he also gains the 2nd level spell of his chosen domain to use as a spell like ability once per day; etc., until 10th level when he may use each one of the nine spells of the domain once per day. Note that these spells do not require somatic or material components to use, only the will of the caster (casting time and verbal components remain).

Lore / Diplomacy Bonus:
In order to accomplish their duties of counseling and uniting the Free Peoples, the Istari need to be credible. As such, each of them specializes in a particular area of knowledge and refines his communication skills. As such, at
1st level the Istar gains a +1 competence bonus to a Knowledge skill of his choice (normally the second Knowledge skill required to be eligible for the class), and to his Diplomacy checks. This bonus increases to +2 at 3rd level, +3 at 5th level, +4 at 7th level, and to +5 at 9th level.

Longevity:
The original Istari lived for centuries, and even if they looked like old men, they remained vigorous as younger ones. Then, when Gandalf was sent back to Middle-earth as Gandalf the White, no weapon could harm him anymore. As such, when gaining levels in the Istar prestige class, a character gains the following characteristics:
• Ageless: At 2nd level, the Istar no longer suffers ability penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged. (Any penalties he may have already suffered remain in place.) Bonuses still accrue, and the Istar still dies of old age when his time is up.
• Long life: At 4th level the character's lifespan is extended by 50 years per level in the Istar class.
• Enduring: At 6th level the Istar gains a +2 bonus to all his Fortitude saving throws against poison and diseases, and his natural healing rate is doubled.
• Immortal: At 8th level the Istar ceases to age, and thus will live indefinitely unless dying from violent death, or leaving to the otherworld.
• Maiar Status: At 10th level, the Istar is forevermore treated as a Maiar (or celestial outsider) rather than as a mortal (humanoid). Additionally, the Istar gains damage reduction 20/+1.

EX-ISTAR

An Istar who would willingly commit an evil act, looses all the special abilities (but not spells) gained from his Istar levels, and cannot further progress in the class. Note however, as it was the case with Saruman, that it may not be obvious at the first sight to the other Istari that the character betrayed their order's ideals.

ISTARI SPECIAL DOMAIN

The clerical domain gained by the Istari should be related to goodness and protection, including: Good, Healing, Knowledge, Protection, and Sun. The Istar prestige class also proposes a new domain :

- SECRET FIRE (FLAME OF ANOR)

This is the holy spiritual fire that gives substance and life to the creation of Iluvatar. All evil followers of Melkor fear this mystical light. Gandalf served the Secret Fire, and used it against the Balrog.

Granted Power: Turn undead and unnatural servants of Melkor, as a cleric of the same level as your Istar levels turns undead. This ability stacks with previous levels of Turn Undead ability.

Secret Fire Domain Spells
1. Protection from evil. altered: +2 AC and saves, counter mind control, hedge out undead and servants of Melkor.
2. Consecrate. altered: Fills area with holy energy, making undead and servants of Melkor weaker.
3. Searing Light. altered: Ray deals 1d8 /two levels, more against undead and servants of Melkor.
4. Fire Shield. altered: Undead and servants of Melkor attacking you take divine fire damage (being of divine power in nature, protection against fire is ineffective); you are protected against evil (rather than heat or cold) as the first level spell.
5. Flame Strike. Smite foes with divine fire.
6. Dispel Evil. altered: +4 bonus against attacks by undead and servants of Melkor. Touch melee attack, kills if there is no outer plane where banish it.
7. Sunbeam. Beam blinds and deals 3d6 damage.
8. Sunburst. Blinds all within 10ft., deals 3d6 damage.
9. Holy Aura. +4 AC, +4 resistance, and SR 25 against evil spells.

Turanil

First Post
:( Well, I really don't have much success with this class. In fact it would be cool if I could get some comments to improve the class. Or maybe the class is fine as it is; but in this case i would be glad to know it too. Or maybe... :confused: maybe you gamers absolutely do not bother yourself with new prestige classes. But as I intend to do a netbook of all my prestige classes to distribute on the Internet, and since this is lot of work... It would be better that I knew if nobody is interested in it!

Turanil

First Post
:D As nobody seems to have anything to say about this class, it can only be because it is perfect.

I think I am going to be the next David Eddings... :p

maransreth

Explorer
If this were the only PrC available for arcane spellcasters in the system, then it would be find and balanced.

Otherwise I find it weak, except for the Longevity ability. But then again it achieves its purpose of knowing about the free people and being able to persuade them.

Airwolf

First Post
I have to agree with maransreth, the class seems a little weak.

In keeping with the outline that you laid out, you might consider adding gather or scry bonuses during the level advancement. This would help the character and the order keep up to date on all the activities of the populace.

As a suggestion, you might add ride as a class skill. Since they don't want to use lots of magic to draw attention to themselves, they will need to get from point A to point B via a horse or similar transportation method.

I think this is a very good class, it just needs to have it's power tweaked up a little. :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases