D&D 5th Edition Starter Set

jadrax

Adventurer
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Starter Set

This box set contains a great semi-sandbox style adventure, which is actually not bad at all.

Bugbear70

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Starter Set

There are two things I LOVED about this set. First, the included adventure is awesome. In the beginning, it is simple enough that new players can work themselves into the scenario, and as the adventure progresses, it opens up into this beautiful sandbox that allows the players to tackle quests in the order they desire. I believe WoTC should have expanded this puppy out to about 10th level and released it as their initial 5E adventure instead of selling us that Tiamat debacle. Second, the sample PCs provided go against expected stereotypes (a cleric who wonders if the gods care about us mortals, etc.). Plenty to enjoy here. Strongly recommend....

Gecko85

Explorer

I ran Lost Mines of Phandelver online at roll20, and found it to be the perfect starting adventure. Reason enough to buy the starter set, even if you already have the PHB and DMG. I think, in years to come, Phandelver will be appearing on plenty of "best of" lists. Overall Imthink it's the best starter set adventure in the long history of D&D. A very good introduction to the game.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad

My headline pretty much summarizes this starter set. For your buck you get: a rulebook, a module, dice, ready to play character sheets, a box to hold it all together. Ive played starter boxes before, but this one has the distinction of being one of the best modules for D&D Ive played. It is, in fact, better than the famous starter module "Keep on the Borderlands". The rulebooks is very nicely illustrated and easily summarizes in introductory form the basic rules of the game. This is in fact one of its merits, because a thick rulebook similar to the PHB, could be intimidating to new players and keeping options easy and simple is the goal, which is clearly achieved. The character sheets are complete and pre-generated and have a nice spread of class and race options. What is excellent about these starter character sheets is that each sheet has backgrounds and elements that tie it directly to the module "The Lost Mine of Phandalin" which encourages these connections to be role-played easily. Need to hide your dice rolls if you are the DM, no worry, the cover of the box easily suits this purpose. The dice are excellent and Chessex quality, in fact the best dice set Ive seen in a starter box set, which alone could retail for $10-15. The best aspect of this starter box set is the price point. It retails for $19, but you can pick it up on amazon.com for $11.99. Wizards has delivered their best intro set in decades and my group just finished the intro module this week after starting play on it in August of last year. There is alot of value and mileage in this set and its one of the best D&D products out there.

Muso

Explorer

Great starting point both for new and old players. A nice sandbox stortline.

Fildrigar

Explorer

This is an amazing adventure. It's quite fun, it has a near perfect mix of dungeon crawling and role playing adventures. Is it perfect? No. Have I ( or would I ) ever run it without making changes? No. But that's a part of who I am. I'm a tinkerer. But I can honestly say that I had more fun running this starting adventure than I've ever had running any starter adventure, anywhere, ever. You can't compare this to the Pathfinder beginner's box. It's half the cost, for Pete's sake. But you have to take into account the free, basic D&D rules that are available on the Wizards website, for free. With those, and this box, you can create some amazing adventures for you and your friends.

alfarobl

Explorer

Excellent box for the price comes with Dice and a very good adventure to introduce new players to D&D. You could very easily start playing right away... each time you play is different so big replay value. Great quality box to hold and add material to it. Quick and nice system mechanics. Only down is that maybe they could have added some additional dice, but its ok for the cheap price you get it.
First couple of sessions don't need much time to get to table, but to really enjoy the sandbox adventure DM needs to spend some time to really get the feel and options that are available. Like how combat is now fast and lethal, like older editions. Characters look like very powerful but reality is they die quick if they don't act careful... don't go into combat without thinking.

RichGreen

Adventurer

We're 10 (3 hour) sessions into Lost Mine of Phandelver and still have 2-3 sessions worth of adventure left to do. Lost Mine is an excellent introductory adventure to D&D 5e for new and old players, with plenty to keep them busy and engaged. Plus a nice set of dice and a decent introductory rulebook, all for $20. You really can't go wrong with this boxed set :)

Remove ads