D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

Henrix

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

One of the things that stuck out in this edition of the PHB was that it was very well written. The texts are inspiring and evocative. Look at things like the backgrounds and you'll find character ideas jumping out at you.The rules are short and compact, intuitive and very easy to use and tweak, while still making the characters fun to play.

Neuroglyph

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

The new D&D Player’s Handbook is a truly remarkable RPG product, and a fine new addition to a very long lineage of Dungeons & Dragons editions. The layout and writing are superb, and the illustrations are breathtaking, making the whole book a fantastic tome to just sit and read through. The contents of the new D&D Player’s Handbook is incredibly detailed, well designed and executed, and many fans and gamers will likely enjoy the ease and diversity of character creation. Admittedly, there’s something oddly meta about an “official” D&D edition feeling a bit like an OSR game, but potentially there is something in this game system that any roleplayer can enjoy – and being able to access the rules online gives a gamer ample opportunity to try-it before they buy-it.

Patrick McGill

First Post

Honestly, I’ve played the play test from the very beginning, so there weren't any surprises here. The book itself, as a product, however, meets the expectations that I have for table use, and that’s a good damn thing.

I have quibbles, to be sure. Better indexing of spells, some missing sub races and sub classes I’d like to have seen. Maybe some more complicated rules for weapons and armor. None of these stain the fact that this book, and the game itself, is great. It’s fun. It draws upon a venerable past, evokes imagery that sets the imagination to work. It feels like the summation of a lot of hard work, and it’s just a pretty book.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

I love this PHB so much. It feels more like a TSR-era edition of D&D than a WOTC edition, with a renewed focus on story elements, mystery, discovery, and rulings instead of textbook-level rules.

JEB

Legend

I've been a D&D player since the 2nd Edition days, but this Player's Handbook has quickly become my favorite. It really does seem to take the best bits from its predecessors (and competition) and combine them wonderfully. It's not 100% perfect, but it seems very near.

Waller

Legend

Best PHB ever? No, that goes to the 1E PHB. But it's the best PHB in decades. D&D is back on the map in a serious way!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

WotC scored a hole in one with this one. A great read, fantastic art, and a solid game. This should be part of every gamer's collection.

bigdill23

First Post

So much about 5e is streamlined for easier gameplay. For example, advantage/disadvantage is a great tool for DM's to resolve previously difficult situations to decide. And, it seems as though wizards have been brought back down to earth and so overly advantageous compared to other classes, while the monk and warlock are finally worth playing. Great job, WOC!!

ashockney

First Post

Everything I would have hoped for from an extensive playtest and worthy of the Dungeons and Dragons brand. Bravo to Rodney, Mike, Greg, and team.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases