D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

koga305

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

The Player's Handbook for D&D 5E is exceptionally well-crafted and shows off the system wonderfully. It has nearly every character option you could want from a first product, a simple and balanced system that makes play a breeze, and some awesome new(ish) innovations like Backgrounds and Advantage/Disadvantage. The only flaws are that a few classes are a little underdeveloped (Ranger and Sorcerer stand out) and organization for spells could be implemented better - but the book's many virtues more than make up for those minor issues.

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher

Are you a gamer? Did you get introduced to roleplaying games through some past incarnation of Dungeons & Dragons? Do you have fond memories of playing D&D with your family and/or friends? If you answered yes to any of these questions, the new Players Handbook for D&D 5th Edition might just be your re-introduction to that fantastic world of adventure and exploration. Beautiful to behold, easy to learn, quick to play, this book contains everything you need to play in a realm of your imagination without bogging it down in miniatures, grids, or too many charts. Get it. You won't be disappointed.

Alphastream

Adventurer

For all that the various beta playtest packages gave us reason to worry, the final 5E PH pulled everything together and smoothed out nearly all the rough edges. The book is gorgeous and incredibly well written. The rules are elegant, speak to the past, but also incorporate much of what was learned in 3E and 4E. This is a fantastic book on all counts.

Nojo509

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

Lots of fun classes with a really nice rule system. There's a return to story telling, rather than simulation that I like. I just wish they went further in that direction.

Last edited:

SpaceOtter

Drifting in otter space

Streamlined, intuitive, but with plenty of character options, this is the best PHB released since 2e. Add in gorgeous art and little errata, it is a truly solid development. Map and minis play are back where they belong: an option, not an assumption or requirement.

grafikchaos

First Post

This book is all of the best of the past editions of D&D put into a very well-written, gorgeous book. I fell completely out of role playing shortly after 3rd edition came out, and tried to get back in with 4th, but the game changed so much from what I knew and loved, that I just didn't bother. But then, the playtest hit, and for free, I thought I'd give it another shot. After a couple iterations of the playtest, and knowing that the best of what was presented was going to make the final game, I knew I had to come back. This is D&D how it's meant to be played. Just enough rules and mechanics to keep things interesting, but nowhere near what could have been done. This edition totally sparks my imagination, makes me want to DM, want to play, and just want to game. I love, love, love this new edition. If you're new, give the basic rules a shot for free. If you want more, then go and buy this book, period.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

Okay, it was about time D&D got back on track and this version of the PHB does do that, bringing back that old feeling. Add to that, great layout and presentation the book is beautiful, there is some great art in the book but also a couple of bad ones. Would have like to see some of the charts repeated in the back of the book for easy reference.

Wolfskin

Explorer

As someone who started gaming with AD&D 2e, the 5e PHB is my favorite D&D corebook since the 1995 edition. To me, 5e is a rather streamlined successor of AD&D that, while learning a lot from the two past editions, stays true to 2e in simplicity and feel.

Nebulous

Legend

Overdone in the art department at the expense of some more rules, but otherwise this is a strong addition to the D&D line and a sure return to the game we all loved that took a misstep in the recent past.

Remove ads