D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

Pensquiggle

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

I've played every incarnation of D&D, especially 1st and 2nd edition. I thought nothing would get me to part with my hard earned cash on any 'new' D&D product, especially with Free Basic Rules Online, but I was wrong. The 5e Player's Handbook is an excellent accessory and I am so glad I purchased it. The free rules are great but you know you secretly want more and so do WotC. It has everything you need to start playing one of many iconic races and classes - you can be any of 8 races, 12 classes and 9 alignments! It is all about what you can do, not what you cannot, and the Inspiration reward for roleplaying your character's background is a very welcome addition.To be fair, for its price, the PHB is good value for money and it has brought me back to the fold. Would I like more - more Feats, more Weapons, more Spells? Heck yes but I don't need them and if I did there is enough basic information here to lead you in the right direction. I am sure the value of this book, along with 5e in general, will only be realised when the Dungeon Master's Guide is released.

cormanthor

Explorer

It's not a perfect product, but it is far and above the best gaming core rule book I've ever seen. The ruleset is simple, yet powerful and intuitive. It seems pretty extensible. I can easily imagine re-running all of my old 2nd edition adventures pretty much as written and handle any differences literally on the fly.

Krypter

Explorer

An excellent new edition that melds the best ideas from 1st, 3rd and 4th editions of D&D into a masterpiece. Full of fun concepts for characters, some new and forgotten spells and superb illustrations throughout. The focus on roleplaying and background hooks bring forth that feeling of wonder, and the mechanics are simple and generally concise enough to quickly run combats and deep acting both. I love the excision of battle-mat tactics from the game (they are optional in the DMG) as 4E always seemed too much like a miniatures wargame to me, but some people may have trouble adjusting to Theatre of the Mind play. Overall and excellent book and a worthy continuation of the classic D&D game.

DM Howard

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

I would rate the 5th Edition Player's Handbook at a 4/5. The reason it did not receive a top score from me is because it does not do a very good job of showing a new entrant into the hobby how to play. It is very much setup to cater to the RPG customers that were already going to buy it. One might argue that teaching and explaining the game is what the new starter set is for, but I don't believe it does a very good job in that regard either. The art is fantastic as it always is, but I miss the charm of 2nd and 3rd edition art, and I can't quite put my finger on what they have that the current art doesn't. It's an awesome book and is a great addition to my ever growing RPG collection, but I am not inspired to DM 5th edition like I am to GM, say, Hackmaster 5th Edition and Shadowrun 5th Edition.

aramis erak

Legend
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

The organizational issues (namely, lack of multiple spell indices) really are the major problem in play. The actual spell list is purely alphabetical, and the spells by class lacks page references. The character art also is inconsistent; the halfling is horrid. Several class features are worded poorly; this leads to confusion. Several more are worded in ways that are plenty explicit, but alien to prior edition players. Probably the best D&D rulebook since Cyclopedia came out.

Grimstaff

Explorer

D&D is back! It doesn't take long, flipping through this book, to realize that D&D "feeling" is back. Kudos to WotC for bringing back the magic of our favorite hobby. If only there were time to play all the class/race/background combos the book offers...

mmtbb

First Post

It seems like 5e would just come and go and no one would jump on board. I was so impressed with the PHB that I switched from C&C back to D&D.

bjmorga

First Post

I entered the world of D&D in 2010 with 4th Edition. I have now since played every edition available, but I mainly stuck with 4th. While I enjoyed that game, it didn't have the feel of what I thought D&D was supposed to be about. Fifth Edition meets those expectations and then exceeds them. I think that was partially the point of this edition: it feels like D&D. Everything from character design, backgrounds, and races breathes life into fantasy roleplaying. I love the fact that you can create a character and be ready to play within minutes. This is a wonderful gaming experience that condenses many of the best aspects from several editions of the game. There's something to love for everyone in this edition.

Rhenny

Adventurer

I love the variety and flavor in the 5e Player's Handbook. The entire system is intuitive and easy to run, and the book makes it easy and fun to read as well.I'm having more fun with D&D now than I've had in years.

ockhamtherazor

First Post

Though there are some ideas I dislike about this PHB, like concentration and too much "ask your DM", I still agree this is an amazing game.

Remove ads