Hoard of the Dragon Queen

froth

First Post
3 out of 5 rating for Hoard of the Dragon Queen

Decent adventure, but having to dl an additional document and the myriad errors (I printed off several pages of errata from Winter answering questions at the WOTC forums) really hurt the value.

SpaceOtter

Drifting in otter space

A grand premise, some excellent concepts, but lamentably laden with errors (including missing map entries) and woefully lacking in flavour and that spark that elevates the mundane to the good. Some flavourful random tables for various locales and events would've helped tremendously. The authors could bear to spend some time looking at what makes some of the best OSR modules shine.

gweinel

Explorer
2 out of 5 rating for Hoard of the Dragon Queen

The story has some very good ideas and concepts but they are ill-presented. Also there is no life in it. It is dull written. Also it has many mistakes in it and you have to rely in extra material from the net. I think the adventure is half-worked. It needed more material in it, more flavor and more polishing.I run this adventure and i have to re-written much of it in order to make it presentable to my players.

talien

Community Supporter

Like Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle, this adventure seems to be way too hard for a well-equipped group of adventurers. It's almost as if nobody wants to make an actual 1st-level adventure and instead opts for something more suitable for 5th level characters. The adventure has a distinctly different feel from a dungeon crawl, but it throws a lot of random encounter fights that seem more like a grind. Between the dragon attack and the showdown, it seems 5E design is brutal for newbies. Our 4th-level party (three PCs, a ranger pony and a dragon) were hard pressed to survive all of the challenges -- and Lektra STILL lost to Langdedrosa.

machineelf

Explorer

The book itself is great, with nice non-glossy pages that work well for highlights and notes, and beautiful art. But the campaign itself was lackluster and too much of a railroad.

Jhaelen

First Post
2 out of 5 rating for Hoard of the Dragon Queen

This module has a lot of problems. It's full of errors, it's incomplete, and it's a basically a railroad with little to no reasonable incentive for a party to follow. If it wasn't for the pretty nice presentation this would be a complete dud.

There are far too many editing errors for this first grand foray into the new edition of Dungeons & Dragons and that is likely due to the release schedule and the back and forth Kobold Press had with WoTC as the rules kept being refined at the same time this adventure was written. Those uncertainties show in the final product.The adventure itself seems to have a good framework, but it is going to take a loving DM to bring it home for his players. It is a large scale adventure without a lot of meat. I can only compare it to the 1st edition Dragonlance series and it pales in comparison to those classics.The next book in this adventure, Rise of Tiamat, however, seems to be a homerun. If the right DM can get his group through this part of the campaign, the later half will blow them away.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer

Full review is in the link but the short version is that there is nothing especially memorable about this adventure. Add in some technical errors and it's not a terribly impressive first big adventure for 5th Edition D&D.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad
5 out of 5 rating for Hoard of the Dragon Queen

Lets face it, few modules are perfect. But Hoard is an example of a fantastic module. This is the module that sets the storyline for the return of Big T herself and it starts off with a bang. I admit I will not run my group through this until they wrap up the Starter Box set module "The Lost Mine of Phandelver" which gives some story seeds for what is to come in the epic Tyranny of Dragons storyline (of which this module is part 1 of 2). The NPCs are clearly described, and the scenes are set up with a few minor corrections. Im of the opinion that not every module should be a bible, the intrepid DM should use it as a guide to change and modify as she's sees fit. The module offers these options, allowing DMs to tailor the combat to prescribed levels. In terms of production values, this module is beautifully laid out in full color with high quality paper that is thick enough for me to write on, and to scribble on margins. The book could use some pull out maps, but I dont mind because I have a Mega Battle mat that I can whip out. Excellent and highly recommended.

Midknightsun

Explorer

I can see the book it wanted to be. There's a lot of good stuff in there- but the errors and poor formatting really detract from the overall adventure. A new DM would have their hands full pulling this off effectively.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases