D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

Henrix

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

This is a very good MM.I would have given it five stars if the monster descriptions had been longer and more detailed.They are better than the one in the 4e MM, but shorter than 3e. And not at all as good as many of the 2e texts.

Neuroglyph

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

It’s possible that the new 5th Edition D&D Monster Manual might very well be the grandest MM ever produced for this RPG. Certainly, the D&D Monster Manual is physically one of the sturdiest designs -not all of the old MM’s were so well made as anyone who owned a 2nd Edition Monster Manual can tell you. And from a writing and illustration perspective, this new D&D Monster Manual is wonderful to read and contains some downright amazing new renderings of iconic fantasy monsters.

Patrick McGill

First Post

Overall, the story content within this book will leave it’s mark on the RPG industry for a very long time to come. Many creatures come away almost reinvented, or simply revitalized, making you think deeply about monsters that have simply been sitting in the tool shed this whole time.

So this volume serves both the purpose as a reference tool, but also as an idea producer. Simply flipping through it and reading a random entry can bring forth a wealth of adventure and session ideas. It is really only a shame that we still have to wait until December(!) in order to effectively use this book to it’s fullest potential.

So, until the Dungeon Masters Guide is released, I can safely say that for me the future of this edition is bright indeed. I just hope that the staggered release schedule that they chose to do, ostensibly due to wanting to give each book a good round of review and editing, won't hurt the edition right out of the gate. I do believe some may feel that this volume goes hand in hand with the one coming, and is thus a lesser thing during the interim. We shall see.

Last edited:

Americancyco

First Post

Overall I like the book there are a few things I would to change like making undead templates but not enough to make me upset I ot the book.

Waller

Legend

A truly gorgeous Monster Manual which you can enjoy reading or referencing. Plenty of ecology and wonderful art. Best looking MM ever, and almost as useful as the 2E Monstrous Compendiums.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

This is an excellent Monster Manual. It doesn't have a monsters-by-CR chart, but there are various fan-made ones around the web. Other than that, it's very attractive fun to read.

bigdill23

First Post

The artwork alone makes this manual worth owning. The dragons are superb, the balor is fantastic, and the Tarrasque is simply terrifying. My biggest complaint, is that there's no list of the monsters by anything other than alphabetical order. Thankfully, I was able to find a list based on challenge rating (http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/MM_MonstersCR.pdf). A list based on size, or AC, or HP would have been nice, as well. But, overall, this is a very nice monster manual.

ashockney

First Post

Should this be rated separately by players and DM's? I'm guessing most DM's will be 4 or 5 stars, and most players will be 1 or 2 stars! Brilliant!

koga305

First Post

This book is amazing. The monsters are fantastically illustrated and their writeups are overflowing with great adventure hooks. In my experience they are all more-or-less mechanically balanced and fun to run as well. It lacks an index of monsters by challenge rating, but there's one on the website to download so it's not a big issue.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases