D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

I must admit, I bought this just to ge the rules for players becoming Lycanthropes. I wanted to play a Werebear. I was swept away by the art and descriptions of the Monsters. For the first time I was planning stories built around all these fantastic beasts. From time to time I still read through it just for fun.

maxnmn80

First Post

Fun to read and plenty of gorgeous artwork, only a little more detailed monster descriptions is what I miss. But overall is excellent.

3 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

only 2 issues I had with this book, and to me they were major, 1 price, this book is overpriced, by a lot. Maybe I am a cheapskate, but some of the other books I have bought for similar prices were much more for the price. Second, this is a radical departure from 4th edition and I think I would have loved more "beginning" type monsters, so far have seen no indicator of a MM2, so having a bunch of high end critters was really of not much use, yeah they are cool, but when designing an adventure, having 3/4 + of the book unusable, that did not give me a warm fuzzy. That being said, the monsters that are in there are better than what I had in 4th, though I think that mechanic is better. the art is completely subjective, some pics I really enjoyed, others I thought were gak. drop it by 5-10 dollars, woulda been a 4, add some more "use right now" monsters woulda been a 4, do both, 5.

TheSwartz

Explorer

A wonderful 5th edition D&D game is only made better by one thing; a wonderful Monster Manual.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

The D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual is not 100% perfect, but it’s 1,000% totally f%$^ing gorgeous! Honestly, it’s so very, very close to 100% perfect. Wizards really did bring the art budget to bear on this book, providing more than just snazzy profile pix of all the monsters, but also neat pre-finalized artwork and concept sketches that often show the creatures in cool stances or doing interesting (sometimes downright silly) things, which helps make them come alive.

There’s a couple things missing — better indexing of the monsters by various things (Challenge, Terrain), ecology “stat blocks” like previous editions (organization, morale) — but some of these exist in the Dungeon Master’s Guide or in electronic form, so at worse we’re looking at a couple small missteps.

Rating: Content 4/5 and Form 5/5.

Read the full review at neuronphaser.com!

Daramere

First Post

[FONT=&quot]Overall, the Monster Manual should be a welcome addition to the bookshelf. It is, of course, a critical component of the GM’s arsenal. But it also looks great overall, has great art, reads great, and is just overloaded with monsters. It’s easy for the Monster Manual to coast and be a very workmanlike tome, but this one really excels. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]With all that said, the book is not perfect, and contains a major unforced error in not including an index of monsters by CR.[/FONT]

Dualazi

First Post
3 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

Pros:
- Overall great art design. There are a few stinkers to be found here and there, but on the whole I found the artwork to be very evocative and inspiring.
- Good print quality. I've had no issue with smudging, tearing, or other damage, and my copy certainly sees some travel.
- High number of iconic monsters. While I'm sure everyone has a couple favorites of old that didn't make it, most of the infamous monsters are included here.

Cons:
-No monster by CR table. I have no idea whose idea it was to put this in the DMG, but this is a truly atrocious choice and I hope they're in the doghouse for it. It doesn't sound like much but this is a huge usability issue in my experience.
-Monsters frequently have spellcasting ability, but all of said spells are in the player's handbook. This means when planning and running sessions, you need to flip between all 3 books regularly, which again is a huge usability issue for me.
-Lore is heavily realms inspired, and places far too much importance on how the creatures fit in with the cosmology at large rather than other aspects of the monster. For example, the goblinoid entries spend too much time talking about their gods and not enough about things like their primary sources of food or technological level. Mabye Volo's fixes these, but as it stands in the MM the lore/ecology sections aren't what they could be.
- Boring monster abilities. This is the real downer here, there are a huge swath of creatures from low to high CR that have barely anything to separate them from the pack, save maybe the odd couple of resistances. What little diversity is to be had typically comes in the form of spellcasting ability, but ultimately a large number of the foes here are just auto-attackers with increased numbers as you progress. Things like auras, marks, and forced movement are all but nonexistent, and it's a real shame.
- In keeping with the above points, most of the monsters aim for the low end of the power spectrum, and savvy or well optimized players can frequently end up punching far above their assumed weight.
- Very few high CR opponents. If you're one of the few lucky ones who sees real high-end play, then be aware that the number of monsters with CRs in that range becomes very small, and you'll either have to homebrew some, check out 3rd party options, or simply go for volume of foes.

Overall the 5e MM is a workable entry to the genre for newcomers (which I suspect was the real goal at wizards) but for those of you that have been running D&D for years or even decades, you will likely need to do quite a bit of work to make them more interesting or more difficult. Those issues combined with faults in the layout stop this one from being a knockout, and with both Volo's and the excellent Tome of Beasts out now, I can't say it has aged well either.

Onslaught

Explorer

At least one page per monster? check!
Dozens of creatures? check
Enemies that can threaten your players for a wide range of levels? check
Easy-to-read and easy-to-use stats? check

Actually I think this is the best Monster Manual in years. Some interesting things were ported from 4E, like minor abilities for every monster (even Kobolds and Goblins), rechargeable powers and pre-made Dragons, all of which work quite nicely.

They even throw up some old-shcool and comic monsters (Modrons, Flumph)... but it doesn't take up space as the book have so many options...

CheezyRamen

First Post

Good source of monsters to inspire any adventure that you might have in mind. If you're ever bored and need pooping material I can't imagine a better read lol.

Remove ads