D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

The Monster Manual for the new 5th edition of Dungeons & Dragons is gorgeous to behold and filled to the seams with useful information. Up to this point, my favorite D&D monster book had been the 2nd edition Monstrous Manual, simply for the amount of content crammed into that book. This one distilled that wall of text for each entry into usable chunks, while maintaining easy to use stat blocks and gorgeous art, propelling it into my favorite monster book slot. So much great stuff. So much usefulness.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
3 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

Monsters are the standard fare, other than updating stats nothing new and that is fine but it is not going to get you a 5. Give me a size comparison chart, some monster motivations and tactics!

Leif

Adventurer
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

...because it follows too closely on the heels of 4E, on which I spent MUCH money, that I now wish I had back. But, the book is quite good, although it is 80%+ just a re-hash of every MM that's ever been published for D&D. Nice presentation of the 'same old, same old' though. Decent beat and you can dance to it. Awfully pricey, though, now that I think about it.* Actually, I would have reduced my rating to a 3 out of 5 if there was a way to do so.

* -- I long for the good old days when a brand new MM cost $12.00 + sales tax! I mean, I know, times change, and everything, but I really don't think the book is worth three times as much now as it was then.

Last edited:

SharnDM

Explorer

If you're going to run a 5th Edition Game you're going to need this book. The fact that it is also a gorgeous piece of work, captivating to anyone who gives it a read through is just icing on the cake. Wizard’s has taken their typical MM framework and embellished a lot more on the Lore side of a monster description and I think things are better for it. Glaring omissions are indexes that help DMs list creatures by CR, habitat, etc. Please read my full review if you want to get a deeper cut. http://melsmifgames.wordpress.com/2014/10/09/the-dd-monster-manuel-hundreds-of-bestial-flavors/

Alphastream

Adventurer

I was prepared to be disappointed in this book, especially given how very good the recently released 13th Age Bestiary is - and the 13th Age Bestiary is fantastic because it is such a departure from typical monster books.And yet, the D&D team managed to create their own departure, all while building upon the best of the past. The 5E Monster Manual is dripping with lore, covered in fantastic imaginative artwork, and full of invigorating ideas. This is one of the finest RPG books I've ever owned, for sure.

Nojo509

First Post
3 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

Good luck finding that right challenge rating creature or the perfect monster to be found in the mountains. The only organization is alphabetical. That said, some nice monsters with great art.

SpaceOtter

Drifting in otter space

Beautiful art, a collection of the quintessential monsters that make D&D what it is, and monster lore that often inspires adventure concepts. Could it have used a section organising monsters by type, by location, and by CR? Yes, but one part of that is already free to download, and the rest is easy to find. Ultimately minor quibbles on what is certainly the best official D&D MM since 2e's Monstrous Manual.

RichGreen

Adventurer

Beautiful art & layout, great selection of monsters, and lots of D&D lore and story hooks. And modrons! What more could you ask for?

Dice4Hire

First Post

Not sue Im gonna play 5E much but this book is gorgeous and has tons of nice info.

Wolfskin

Explorer

I love 5e MM, especially when it comes down to its inspiring fluff, though in my opinion the new statblock format could be better and some of the same-species monsters (such as dragons and giants) could've been streamlined a lot without repeating necessary information. The book fills its purpose, though- lot of monsters, beautiful art and inspiring writing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases