D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

Argyle King

Legend
3 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

The first time I picked up the Monster Manual, I was extremely happy. I was also very surprised because I had been pretty negative toward D&D 5th Edition prior to the core books starting to be released. Over time; while I still am glad I purchased the book, there are some things which have gotten under my skin.The lack of an index which lists creatures by CR is a little baffling. I understand that there are space constraints in a book, but I feel as though an extra page or two to list things by CR would have been extremely helpful; especially given that this is the first MM of the new edition, and will likely be a book which is used quite frequently.Speaking of CR, there are some things revealed about the system which seem odd. I haven't yet seen the DMG, so maybe that book will clear things up, but I still don't have a clear idea of what style of encounter design 5th Edition is going for. The CR/XP budget system is hard to gauge. I have a pretty good idea of what mentality I want there to be behind encounter design; after multiple readings, I'm slightly concerned about what kind of game 5th Edition is attempting to be. In that same vein, there are a few story choices combined with mechanics which go a different direction than what I was hoping for; those things are easy enough to change, but it's still noticeable.Maybe I missed it, but does the Half-Dragon template change the CR or XP value of the creature it is added to? That's a piece of information which seems relevant to the entry.The red shadow dragon artwork was pretty cool. A lot of the artwork is phenomenal, but something about that piece in particular seemed cool. Most of the entries have a good mix of crunch and fluff. There's enough to spark my imagination and tell me about the creature, but the entries also leave enough wiggle room for me to easily change things as I see fit. I also believe there is enough of a blank canvas left to provide opportunities for later books which delve deeper into the ecology of creatures.I'm not quite sure what else to say. I like a lot of the book. The artwork is fantastic. There is a good mix of creature types and styles. However, there are some small details which reveal a game I'm unsure of yet. It's very likely that my opinion of this book is influenced by outside factors; I openly admit that. I still suggest that someone interested in 5th Edition pick up the MM. Though I need to see what the rest of the system looks like once all three core books are released before I can provide a clearer opinion which isn't too driven by novelty or too saddled with reservations about the product line. I chose 3 stars because middle of the road is how I feel right now; I'm waiting to see which way the Monster Manual and the contents within turn once I have a fuller ability to test the contents and see how they function in actual play. It wasn't long ago that I was extremely excited about the 4th Edition MM only to find that the contents weren't that exciting in actual play. I'm optimistic, but cautious; my choice of rating reflects that.

JEB

Legend
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

It was monsters that got me into D&D - 1E's Fiend Folio and 2E's Monstrous Manual were my gateways into the game. And I've seen a lot of monster books since. But the 5E Monster Manual makes a very good case for being the best core monster book the game has ever produced. It's packed full of ideas, wonderfully illustrated, and covers pretty much all the iconic creatures for the game. It's really, really good.

Spykes

First Post

I really like this treatment of the now famous tome. Fantastic art and I thought they did a great job of selecting the most iconic monsters to start things off in 5e. The monster descriptions are very well done and they added enough to each monster that the DM can get clear ideas about how to integrate them into the world. I know first hand that it was very well tested and I think they did a great job with the accuracy of the on the Challenge Ratings. A+

Loki-lie-Smith

Explorer

The biggest strength of the Monster Manual is all the plot hooks and adventure seeds found on each creature description. The art is superb and it also have a great variety of enemies, not only to fight against, but to interact with.

grafikchaos

First Post

I had to just put my two cents in. This book is great! Art is wonderful, the monster stats are well organized and just fit the game, and it has plenty of them across all difficulty levels. This is probably my favorite monster book of all of the editions.

4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

It's so nice to see things returning to normal in the D&D universe. The Monster Manual was the benchmark that started to really get me excited about the 5th edition. While there were a few layout issues, overall the entries are concise, informative and easy to read. The artwork is stunning for the most part and overall a pleasure to behold. The monster selection was good, though some favorites were missing and some inclusions were confusing, it was nice to see the homage to all editions held within its pages.

Last edited:

io9

First Post

You like monsters, right? Of course you do. What about a whole book full of monsters? That sounds cool. What if I told you about the best book of monsters ever? The 5E Monster Manual just might be the one.... I knew I was going to like this book as soon as I saw the screaming beholder on the cover. This Monster Manual is definitely my favorite 5E book so far.

Azzibeel

First Post

This is hands down my favorite Monster Manual. The art is amazing. The monster bios are fantastic seeds for all sorts of encounters.

Hygelak

Villager

I love that WotC added thirty pages to this volume's original 320 pages -- classic monsters here, all keepers. The entries also have the perfect amount of fluff -- enough to get the DM's creative juices flowing without becoming overwhelming. There's some great writing in here too, so it's a fun read. Some have complained that the monster design isn't as detailed as in 4e where crunch is concerned, but for me this MM gets it right with most creatures having just a few special abilities to make them challenging and add flavor. Legendary abilities and Lair Actions are also cool. And as others have said the art is beautiful.

jadrax

Adventurer

A truly fantastic monster manual, that really feels that it contains the vast majority of truly iconic monsters. While there are some missteps (the Tarnasque is ill though out), the vast majority of monsters are fun, iconic and stripped down to provide lightning fast combat without becoming bogged down with dull system mechanic tricks.

Remove ads