D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide

4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide

Yes, I got it, I'm a lucky man. And here what I think: the 5th edition DMG is a masterpiece and keeps up the very good quality of the Player’s Handbook and Monster Manual. It goes on with the new edition philosophy of going back to the earlier spirit of D&D capitalizing on the experiences of its previous editions.The book offers high product value, it’s choke full of valuable advice on how to create and run campaigns and adventures, it has more magic items that you could hope and it includes lots of the promised “rules modules”. My only complaint about it is a certain overabundance of tables to determine…well, everything. While these are often quite useful, there are really lots of them, perhaps more than needed. I mean, with all that valuable content, I would have liked more modules and less tables.That said, with over 70 pages of illustrated magic items, tons of rules options an insight on how to build a full fledged campaign (including planar details) the new DMG really brings the old magic back to full circle. The king is back, all hail the king!

SharnDM

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide

The DMG for 5th Edition is a masterpiece. Coming in at 320 pages it just slightly beats out the PHB for girth but upon comparing it to previous edition's works you can see the sheer mass of this book at least contains more words than ever before. I've never liked the DMG in any edition the most but this time around it wins the cup for me. A real emphasis on training a new DM and enhancing the veteran was given here, and I'm pleased by the effort. The largest chunk of the book is a 100 page arc on tangible treasure. For those like me who lamented the loss of the "Magic" in magic items it is back in full. I could drone away further here but I've already put nearly 3k words into my review on my blog. Check it out and feel free to comment! http://melsmifgames.wordpress.com/2014/11/27/5es-dungeon-masters-guide-the-triad-is-complete/

Neuroglyph

First Post

As Dungeon Master’s Guides go, this new D&D 5th Edition one is a strong contender for the top spot. While it might be claimed that there are quite a few similarities between this new DMG and the older AD&D DMG, it would be hard to argue that the original penned by Mr. Gygax isn’t a darned good template for what a DMG should be in order to be successful at guiding Dungeon Masters in their trade. The book looks and feels fantastic, and it certainly has some wonderful writing between the covers. And just as importantly, the new D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide presents a lot of good useful content that DMs will be able to go back and reference time and again as they lead their players into better and more developed worlds and adventures. It’s a worthy successor to the line of Dungeon Master’s Guides down through the editions, and well worth the price to have as a treasured resource for this new edition of Dungeons & Dragons.

talien

Community Supporter

The final rulebook of the Dungeons & Dragons triumvirate that long-time gamers have come to expect from each edition of the fantasy role-playing game will be released in stores on December 9, 2014. Thanks to Wizards of the Coast sharing an advanced copy, this review is a sneak peak of what to expect. The short version: this incarnation of the Dungeon Master's Guide (DMG) builds on everything gamers have collectively learned about role-playing games. It's also has an unmistakable shift in tone from a simple rules compendium to an honest assessment of what made D&D what it is today -- and how unique it can be in each DM's hands.

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher

The prevailing idea behind the publication of the Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition game seems to be "tools for your toolbox," and in that regard the new Dungeon Master's Guide knocks it out of the park. Alternate rules for lingering injuries and healing, pages of magical items, guidance and advice on crafting monsters, NPCs, and adventures - there's enough stuff in here to keep DMs busy with their own campaigns for a long time, and I think that's the point. The advice is top notch, as you would expect from the company that's been making this game for a long time, and the random tables are enough to keep everyone interested. I don't know what more I could ask for in a Dungeon Master's Guide to be honest, except "more" - more of what's already in here.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

This book is utterly crammed with material. Even if you're not a D&D fan, it's one of the most comprehensive GMing guides to fantasy gaming I've seen in years, and for D&D DMs probably the best DMG in decades. I find it hard to overstate how much I love this book and how - for me - it's like adding together the 1E DMG, a book like Robin Law's highly acclaimed game mastery advice book, and a shedload of targeted inspiration. Most of all, though - it's a book designed to be read, not just referenced. The best of the 5E trilogy and a must-have for any fantasy gamer. Seriously - I know it's cool to be cynical, but this thing really is good.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous

Not only does this book have a wealth of information, it also makes an interesting read and really brings back the idea of what it is to be fantasy gaming. Must have in my eyes, even if you do not intend to run this specific edition.

Rhenny

Adventurer

Usually when D&D core products are released, the DMG is the one that I least like to read even though I don the DM mantle most frequently. This time around, the book is so chocked with goodies, and it is so nicely written, I think I'll spend more time reading it than any of the other books. The amount of interesting charts, advice, options, ideas for consideration, shifts my mind into imagination overdrive. Not only are there options, but the options themselves inspire me to create other options that would work in my own campaign. I can only hope that others feel the same creative charge.While I was reading the section about world building, my son came over to check it out too. The ideas and information contained within the book immediately captured his attention, not only for the creative possibilities, but also because it presented information about religious and governmental systems that really interest him (a young history buff). When I was growing up, I remember reading 1e books, which to this day I believe helped me learn vocabulary and build my world knowledge. This book seems to provide that same "education" for younger people who read it for the first time. That's awesome.Great work WotC.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend

They did it again. All 3 core D&D 5th edition books have far, far more crammed between the pages than I ever expected.Amazing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases