Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide

3 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide

If I was going to add a big new book of new classes and options to my PF game, I’d rather add Occult Adventures, the book announced for GenCon 2015. Counting alternate classes, there’s already 22 classes in the game, and 10 new classes is a LOT. The Advanced Class Guide just feels like filler. It’s just a big book of more: more classes, more feats, more archetypes, more spells. That’s fine for your second or third player-focused release in a campaign line – it worked well for Advanced Player’s Guide – but it’s less essential as the seventh release.The ACG lacks the solid story hook of Mythic Adventures or the planned Occult Adventures and the big unique subsystem of Advanced Race Guide. Which is disappointing for Paizo, as so many of their past books have been focused around providing options necessary for Adventure Paths. Ultimate Combat was released so they could do the Jade Regent AP and Mythic Adventures was released to accommodate Wrath of the Righteous. Nothing in the ACG seems necessary for Iron Gods or Giantslayer. There are no stories that can now be told with the shaman or bloodrager that could not have been told before.But… I’m sure there are a lot of players who just want more options. Despite my cynicism for the class, a player in my group is thinking of an arcanist for our next campaign; he was never fully happy with the spellcasting for sorcerers and wizards. So for anyone who thinks that two-dozen classes just is not enough, this book is for you. Most of the time, the ACG does what it sets out to do, which is faint praise but praise none the less.

CubeB

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide

One of the biggest problems that Pathfinder has is its unusual relationship with multiclassing. On one hand, the way classes are designed means that the best option is often to stick with one class. On the other hand, certain concepts simply require mixing and matching different classes. The Advanced Class Guide seems designed around that blurring of lines, as nearly every option allows classes to pick and choose certain abilities from their peers. The new "Hybrid" classes are the star of the show: Each contains features of two existing classes, as well as a few new abilities. Some, like the Swashbuckler or Slayer, are "Level 1 PRCs" in the same vein as the Magus, designed to enable certain character archetypes without dipping. Others, like the Skald or Brawler, are similar to existing classes but introduce new mechanics that make them worth a look. Others, like Arcanist and Warpriest, are sort of 'quality of life' classes. The Warpriest is sort of a middle ground between Cleric and Paladin, meant to serve as an "out of the box" divine warrior capable of buffing themselves from level one. The Arcanist is a Wizard/Sorcerer hybrid that mostly exists for people who hate preparing spells but still want to be a wizard. It is by far the most powerful class in the book, as its "Quick Study" ability completely invalidates its main weakness outside of battle. My personal favorite class is the Investigator, which carries notes of the old Factotum. The next part of the book contains new archetypes for every class, enabling new options like Sneak Attacking Inquisitors, Charisma Based Magi, and Mutagen using Fighters. The Hybrid classes steal the show here again. Archetypes of note include the Mutagenic Mauler and Shield Champion Brawler (for people who want to be Bane or Captain America), the Eldritch Scion Magus (for Charisma based Swordplay), and the unfortunately named Brown-Fur Transmuter (for people who want to turn the fighter into a Dragon). Rounding it all out are a selection of feats (designed for further class hybridization), spells, and magic items. All in all, the ACG is a must have supplement. It has options for any Pathfinder game, even if you don't end up using the classes. If you want to inject some new life into a 14 year old RPG, then the ACG is worth a look. The only hitch is that some classes aren't quite so differentiated from their inspirations, and (in the case of the Arcanist) run the risk of invalidating them. For that, I give it a 4 out of 5.

was

Adventurer

There were a couple of interesting classes and features in the book. Overall, however, I don't think it was worth the price.

Really exactly what it says; more classes and more options. About half make the game better (more fun), but the others decrease the fun, eclipse other classes and generally seem not to be helpful. So a middling thing

Razz0putin

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide

Love it it allows you to have several options on classes. I am the type that loves to tinker with classes so this book was made for me. I love any book that goes into how to make classes that is a book that will be worth my money every time.

Ramaster

Adventurer
4 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide

The ACG brings in a LOT (and I do mean a lot) of options for existing characters as well as a host of new hybrid classes to experiment with. The crunch is a bit messy on ocations, but the content is solid Paizo stuff. One of the best splats sinces the APG!

marroon69

Explorer

But it seems Pathfinder is getting class and feat bloat. These classes are really hybrids of current classes....so multi-classes with a few add ons. There are few editing mistakes and I am thinking some errata coming out. It is just not to my tastes...

Waller

Legend
2 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide

It's hard to justify ACG. A bunch of multiclass concepts joined together. Pathfinder was already becoming bloated with classes that nobody really knew what they were without explanation, and these concepts often feel like they should just be backstory. No wonder they're doing Pathfinder In Space and stuff now. New edition soon?

Remove ads