Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
3 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide

I'm of mixed feelings about this book. It's solid, looks great, and does what it says on the tin. On the other hand, it's not desperately exciting. There are some great classes, though. I'd recommend it with caution - you can manage without this one, but it has utility for those tired of the old classes.

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
4 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide

The problem with additional classes in any game, is that they all do not fit in a game, DMs have to worry about balance and how they interact in the campaign. The ACG has some great classes but not all are going to work in every game. Still, it is a very good book and does provide options and ideas.

ockhamtherazor

First Post
1 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide

I want to say this book is broken, and it indeed is. However I don't usually take balance as an aspect of rating a book.
IMO the idea of mixing classes together is plain bad. Most of the "new" classes are no more than a mixture of old ones, no creativity there. And these "new" classes also overshadowed some of my favorite old classes, making them completely pointless.
The concept of the new classes are also pretty bad. There is no way to tell what some of those classes are from their name. Who can tell the difference between a ranger, a hunter, and a slayer? It seems to me they should all be archetype of a same class.
This book actually make me finally quit pathfinder...

Last edited:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel

Welcome to Pathfinder's hybrid class guide. This multiclassing/gestalt made balanced. The problem with this book is that some classes are hits and others misses. The needed Arcanist. Mixing Sorcerer and Wizard! It fills a niche like the Sorcerer and the Warlock did. The surprising Bloodrager, a gish class that mixes Barbarian and Sorcerer. Surprising because I didn't know I wanted it and it works, not only because it fills a niche, but because the fluff is great, very evocative. Your bloodline affects your rage and your magic. Simple concept, but it gives the class some oomph. The welcomed Investigator. Mixing Rogue and Alchemist. Right off the bat I remembered the Factotum from late 3.5. Then I remembered something even older: Doctor Rudolph Van Richten from the Ravenloft setting. A Flexible skill monkey that will be very useful in RP heavy mystery campaigns. The necessary Swashbuckler. Mixing Fighter and Gunslinger. I say necessary because it is an archetype a lot of players want to play at one point or another or a GM wants to incorporate as a cool NPC role model or vilain with style. The flavorful Shaman. A mix of Oracle and Witch. Mixing arcane and divine magic with lots of flavor. Seems redundend with the Witch who is already the arcane/divine caster. The other classes left me a bit meh. I'm not sure I will see many Brawlers, except maybe as NPCs the PCs will have to fight. Same for the Slayer. Makes a nice bounty hunter NPC. I just do not care about the Hunter and Skald. Lol. I was forgetting the forgettable Warpriest. Inquisitors and Paladins are already the Warpriest. I would have been curious to see a Witch-Alchemist hybrid, a Monk-Paladin or a Cavalier-Summoner. Certainly more than a Bard-Barbarian, Ranger-Druid or Cleric-Fighter. I still recommend this book as there are many options for other classes and for GMs who like to have NPCs with player classes. The Codex containing these classes cannot arrive too soon. I will say that I would have prefered that Paizo had made a Technology Guide of this seize instead of this book.

Last edited:

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
5 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide

Adds a lot to the fluff, although not all the classes are used much. Was worth the price to us.

Starfox

Hero

A book to love and hate. Introduces the hybrid class, an archetype incoporating one third of two different classes and one-third new material this is not a bad idea, but it leads to rules glut and the solutions choosen seem complex for no good reason. About half the hybrid classes are very unlikely to ever see use at my table, and others (swahbucker) just seem unfinished. The best are probably brawler (a melee controller), investigator (skill monkey to overshadow the rogue while being useless in combat except for limited combat maneuvers), and the warpriest (a simplified selfish cleric).

Last edited:

JLant

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide

Although it requires careful consideration, this book opens up new venues for those who prefer the best of two worlds.

Ezequielramone

Explorer

the concept looks nice in theory, but an entire book to make multiclass classes seems to much. still very interesting material here.

My friends that like new stuff didn't get into the Advanced Class guide at all. It's a nice looking book, all of Pathfinder books have always been but they are now in the bloat waters with classes and feats. The Advance Players guide was the last book that our PF group used anything from with regularity. It brought no excitement to our table.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
2 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide

Gestalt classes was the best they could do? It's disappointing. There are some nifty classes in this, to be sure, but I find it overall not up to snuff for the quality Paizo is capable of. I enjoy new classes very much. I love options and variations, so I thought I would love this one...but not so much. I'd rather see variant classes (like was done with the Ninja and Samurai) for concepts requiring more than an archetype, not gestalt stuff.

Remove ads