PF ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution - Act One: The Investigation Begins
ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution - Act One: The Investigation Begins
[Back to Reviews Index]

Quickly rate ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution - Act One: The Investigation Begins

EN Publishing

Game system(s): Pathfinder RPG, D&D 4th Edition,
Genre: Fantasy, Steampunk,

Tue 26 August 2014
Ryan Nock, Thurston Hillman, Matthew J. Hanson, Jacob Driscoll,
Hardcover (560 pages)
$99.99 | Buy this product

Fun with stats: ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution - Act One: The Investigation Begins is ranked #2 out of 60 products with 10 or more reviews, placing it in the 98% percentile. It is rated 21.2 points higher than the overall average product rating of 76.8%. With 14 reviews, this is the #38 most reviewed product.

98% CRITICAL HIT!

Rated by 14 readers at 98% who deem this a CRITICAL HIT. This should be part of your collection.
Read all 14 reviews | Write Your Own
There are 1 external reviews of this product with a combined rating of 100%. Read these reviews.

These five adventures are the first act of a steam & spell campaign for Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition and the Pathfinder RPG.

Steam and soot darken the skies above the city of Flint, and the choking products of its industrial forges sweep from the majestic harbor to the fey rainforests that dot its knife-toothed mountains. The Unseen Court, the Great Hunt, and the many spirits of the land no longer receive tribute, but they cannot enter these new domains of steam and steel to demand their tithe. The impoverished workers who huddle in factory slums fear monsters of a different breed, shadowy children of this bleak urban labyrinth.

Times are turning. The skyseers Risurs folk prophets since their homelands birth witness omens in the starry wheels of heaven, and they warn that a new era is nigh. But what they cannot foresee, hidden beyond the smog of the night sky, is the face of this coming era, the spirit of the age. The zeitgeist.

This tome contains Act One of ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution, a cinematic adventure path designed for experienced GMs. These five 'steam and spell' adventures will take your party - members of the Royal Homeland Constabulary - from 1st to 11th level as they solve murders, engage in magical spycraft, and unearth villainous conspiracies. Take a step away from traditional fantasy, and play a part in shaping the coming age!
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

Block jacktannery

Friend+

5 out of 5 rating for ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution - Act One: The Investigation Begins

Best adventure path I've ever run - 100% recommended.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    ZEITGEISTGygax Memorial FundI Defended The Walls!

Block Shimrath

Friend+

5 out of 5 rating for ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution - Act One: The Investigation Begins

5 Stars, without hesitation. These are some of the very best adventures i have ever read/played.

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Reviews
    Read 13 Reviews
    13th AgeZEITGEISTGen ConENniesO.G.R.E.I Defended The Walls!

Block Hand of Evil

Friend+

• > Beautiful book - layout, maps, artwork all excellent - don't thin there is a bit of wasted space in the 599 pages.
    • > Adventures - (not yet played) are interesting reads, with great plots and characters, can't wait to run my characters through them.
    • > The Setting - while this is 5 adventures, it is an introduction to the fantasy steam punk / gothic punk / fantasy gothic world of ZEITGEIST.
    • > A damn fine read - there are just books that you get enjoyment from.
    Last edited by Hand of Evil; Friday, 21st November, 2014 at 01:48 AM.

Looking for a good AP? This one is different.
    Remind me, while being better, of Warhammer's Enemy Within campaign for the investigation and atmosphere parts.
    I mean i'm over 40, been playing for 20+ years, now i'm looking for something else in an AP. Dungeons, magical items, hack and slash...are boring. I need original ideas, compelling stories, mature subjects, different atmosphere.

Zeitgeist has it all. Including those pesky dungeons, items and battles but often with little savoury twists.
    And some nice player handouts.
    And some mini-games to simulate some situations.
    And a forum here on ENWorld where you can talk with gamemasters and with the AP creator.

Play style is more social/investigation than combat. Characters ain't adventurers, but royal special task force. Think FBI.

In this Act1, each adventure of the five adventures has it's own unique flavor:
    1st Cinematic and heroic (while level 1!). Really nice intro
    2nd Detective investigation
    3rd Chuthluesque adventure
    4th Orient Express style
    5th Grand finale
    Last edited by Shilubi; Friday, 21st November, 2014 at 11:14 AM.

As of this review my group has just began the fifth adventure, Cauldron Born. Also, I do not have the hard copy, only the PDFs of the individual adventures and the compiled book.

From the story standpoint and as the DM for the game, I appreciate the depth of the details, as well as the open ended nature of the adventures. The players and DM are given a vast amount of leeway on how events unfold and are resolved. The conspiracy takes off well from the outset of the path, transitioning smoothly between adventures. I have to give high praise to the second adventure, The Dying Skyseer, which especially shines with its investigation threads. Truly a remarkable, and highly enjoyable adventure for players and DMs. Adventures three and four are greatly enjoyable as well, with adventure three's subtle inclusion of world history tied into the player's story to adventure four's feel as a spy adventure. My player's and I are looking forward to Cauldron Born finishing up the first act, as well as the remainder of the adventure path.

From the game mechanics standpoint, my players, as well as myself as the DM, enjoy the unique nature of the NPCs. Each are well thought out and balanced. My players have commented that each major combat is different from the last and how the unique nature of the major combatants is a refreshing turn from battling standard Monster Manual bad guys. Furthermore, the quality and production standards for the PDFs are excellent, from the layout to the art.

Highly recommended.

I am of the firm belief that this tome belongs into a DMs arsenal and that running this, will one day be a kind of rite of passage. If you thought the War of the Burning Sky was good it has NOTHING on Zeitgeist. My final verdict will come as no surprise, seeing how the first 5 installments were the first ever AP to succeed at such an unbroken string of superb ratings from yours truly; it will clock in at 5 stars, seal of approval and a nomination as a candidate for my top ten of 2014.

I wasn't at all looking to seeing this here in New Zealand, and yet here it is. The quality of this AP goes without saying, Google Endzeitgeist's review (and he knows his stuff). However he only got the PDF and MAN he is missing out. The hard cover is a thing of beauty, it is a pleasure to just browse through. So buy for the beauty, stay for the awesome AP :D

Absolutely amazing in it's scope and greatness.

A work of art, this AP offers a new and refreshing take at adventure design. My players and I enjoy it very much. Thank you so much!

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast