Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Technology Guide

Kettlebriar

Original Old School Gamer
4 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Technology Guide

Now I can restart my DRAGONSTAR campaign. PAIZO needs to do more books like this so their rules can be used for other campaigns other than just fantasy. They should also do more sci fi, super heroes, horror, and other genre rules to expand their product line beyond just sword & sorcery.

CubeB

Explorer

First, a brief disclaimer: If you're hoping that Pathfinder's Technology Guide will help you round off your futuristic pathfinder campaign, you're going to have to be prepared to do some extra work.The Technology Guide is designed for use with the Iron Gods adventure path, and seems heavily inspired by adventures like "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks". They even have the old color coded key cards! As a result, the book is pretty biased toward the idea of "technology in a fantasy setting". The book itself is divided into three sections. The first, "Technology in the World" contains character options for use with the Iron Gods AP. There are new uses of several skills (several of which require a special feat to be proficient in), as well as a collection of new Crafting Feats. The Technology Guide is very restrictive over when and how new technology can be crafted, so it's questionable as to how useful these can be. There are also a set of new "technological spells". Greater Make Whole is excellent for players of construct characters, and there are a surprising number of spells that deal with radioactivity. Finally, there is a small set of archetypes and a prestige class. Oddly, the Technologist prestige class requires magical knowledge to even use. After that is a selection of technological items, many of which are quite potent. Not to mention obscenely expensive. If you've ever wanted to be a chainsaw wielding cyber paladin, Pathfinder has you covered. If you have gold, of course. And a way to get charges. The items are flavorful and quite interesting, though the lack of energy swords is a disappointment. Finally there's a brief section on hazards and artifacts, as well as a list of "sky metals" that seem more magic than sci-fi in some cases. The artifacts are interesting (they include Power Armor!) and could make an interesting plot focus for an Iron Gods game. Finally, the front cover contains an (optional) list of glitches for people using time worn technology, which range from the helpful to the annoying. None are particularly lethal though. All in all, the Technology Guide is useful for its purpose. The art is decent (especially the cover), and the items are flavorful. My one concern is that I wish they handled the item pricing better for a more "high-tech" campaign. The bias toward Iron Gods style campaigns means that any high tech campaigns (in the vein of Dragonstar, for instance) would need some way to handle the gold disparity. I suppose it makes sense for balance reasons, but it was a nitpick I had.Overall, I give it a 4 out of 5.

marroon69

Explorer

It is a good book, put together great, fits well with the systems...but it will have limited use depending on the setting you want to portray. If you are looking at a Sci/Fantasy game it is a must have....otherwise not much use

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic

It is a niche book but it opens doors for the creative; things like robot overlords, Flash Gordon, Spell Jammer, John Carter, etc. for Pathfinder...you just have to work the material into your games.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel

This is a book that introduces hightech weapons, armor an other items to be used in a fantasy setting, like Pathfinder's Golarion. I think my opinion of one item resumes what I think of the book. There is a chainsaw that can be used as sword! I just wish it explained what damage it does if you hit creatures with it when the engine is not running. So the book has lots of great stuff in it, but it leaves you wanting more. More items, more details, more info...It is a very good book, good art and design, with lots of goodies. I just wish it was more diverse. Like were are the mechas and varied power suits/armor? More cybernetic implants would have been awesome. Genetic manipulation too!All and all, it is not wasted money and it will leave you wanting for a Technology Guide 2.

werekraken

First Post

The technology guide has all sorts of tech gadgets, a good take on how they are powered, and a good take on how to add super science style technology into a D&D style universe. My biggest complaint is has to do with the specific rules for various technological items. The price to effectiveness ratio of technological items makes them inferior to magic items in most instances. For example, a 10,000 gp laser pistol lets a character who as become proficient (requiring a feat for most characters) make 2 ranged touch attacks at -2 for 1d10 fire damage each. Compare that to, say, a wand of scorching ray or a necklace of fireballs. But if you don't mind ignoring high tech weapons that can barely keep up with a mighty composite bow in effectiveness, the *ideas* for the tech items are super cool.

Zil

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Technology Guide

This is a must-have book if you're planning on running the Iron Gods adventure path or if you are otherwise interested in running a game in Golarion's Numeria. As others have said, the philosophy of the design would also work if someone wanted to create their own home-brew Expedition to Barrier Peaks or Metamorphosis Alpha style adventure. For those who are using the Pathfinder Golarion setting, they should consider also picking up 'Numeria, Land of Fallen Stars' which works well with this book.

Last edited:

was

Adventurer

The book is pretty useful for anyone interested in running, or playing in, a tech-based campaigns. Other than that, the unreliable timeworn tech, costly sci-fi weapons and gear needing expensive batteries/charges are unlikely to see much use in general campaigns or society.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
5 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Technology Guide

Yes,must have for tech fans. No need to say more.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases