Everything D&D Ever - Temple of the Frog

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
In the year 2052, humans finally set foot on Mars.

Less than five years later, humanity was nearly annihilated. Magic was unleashed on the world in an apocalypse of energy and vengeance by the dragons.

Dragons, ancient enemies of Atlantis, had long ago sealed away Earth's magic in an artifact known as the Crystal Prison. When humans finally reached Mars, the ancient birthplace of the dragons, devastated in the war with Atlantis, the dragons knew that humans were once again a threat.

The dragons sent ships full of their minions but they vastly underestimated the technological advances of humanity. The war reached a stalemate and the Dragon Emperor, unwilling to acknowledge anything less than total victory, fractured the Crystal Prison. The Dragon Empire's capitol ship was caught in the devastation and crashed, splitting in three pieces as it came down amidst the onslaught of magical energies.

Nearly 1,000 years later, humanity is finally beginning to rebuild in a world unlike the Earth of old. Massive geographical changes have rendered the old continents unrecognizable. Creatures of magic and nightmare roam the world. Humanoids and demi-humans of various sorts, once servants and slaves of the dragons, now populate the world alongside humans.

In the last 100 years, the nation of Blackmoor found the mid-section of the crashed capitol ship of the Dragon Empire. Wonders of mingled magic and technology have found their way into the hands of the noble and elite. Craving ever more power, the humans of Blackmoor continue to scavenge from the ship and learn the secrets of its magic.

Elves from the western continent have now come to Blackmoor. At first, they sent diplomats to dissuade the humans of Blackmoor from their path, but they failed. Now they send troops. War is coming. The elves see Blackmoor as a threat - children playing with dangerous toys they do not understand, ignorant men delving into secrets they cannot comprehend.

Both Blackmoor and the elves have heard tales of a large bandit city hidden in the Great Swamp of Mil. If rumor holds true, the head of the crashed Dragon Empire ship lies at the heart of the city, half-sunken into the swamp, resembling a massive amphibian and now known as...
The Temple of the Frog

What secrets does the Temple hold? The elves would see it destroyed. Blackmoor would see it exploited. Whoever conquers it first will most certainly hold the fate of the coming war in their hands.

Everything D&D Ever is an experiment - Can one campaign setting hold every official D&D adventure ever published (not including magazines)? I have created a mash-up world that will try to do just that. A lot of setting details are altered, jury-rigged, and otherwise mangled from their original forms in order to fit into this mega-setting. I've also added in my own little twists just for kicks here and there.

What's more, we'll playing through those adventures in order of original publication, thus starting with Temple of the Frog. The adventures will be played mostly as written, with some setting details and NPCs reworked to fit the world. Also, for adventures like Temple of the Frog where the details are vague, I'll be filling in the blanks with my own material.

For this first adventure, we'll be using the rules and character options in the free Basic PDF. Please use the customizing ability scores variant (with 27 points) to determine ability scores. Starting gear should be per class and background.

When determining personality traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws, try to integrate them into the setting as described above (and below). I know there's not a lot of details, yet, but feel free to ask for any specifics, clarifications, or any other information. Please use the starting equipment described in your class and background or buy equipment with 125 GP for fighters and clerics and 100 GP for wizards and rogues.

I'm hoping for at least four players and will accept a maximum of eight.

Some miscellaneous setting details...

Dragons are the stuff of legends and history. People know there was a war with them long ago, but only the oldest elves know any of the details of that war.

There are no gods. The Church of the Healing Light offers some spiritual guidance but it is small and faces persecution from the nobility of Blackmoor. Various cults dedicated to demon lords have gained secret power and influence in Blackmoor as the decadent nobles find new ways to amuse themselves.

There is a huge class gap in Blackmoor - nobles have access to the magitech of the ancient dragon ship, using hovering divans to move about the city and animated servants to tend to their estates; the poor, on the other hand, can barely scrape a living together and often go hungry. Disease often strikes the most impoverished.

Elves, dwarves, and halflings come from a continent to the west (what was once North America). The elves have all but declared war on Blackmoor, though the dwarves and halflings have not chosen sides.

Blackmoor is a vast empire, the nobility using the magi-tech from the ancient dragon ship to assert control over a variety of other human nations and cultures. However, Blackmoor's reach exceeds its grasp. The further from the capitol (built at the base of the mountain where-in the dragon ship lies) one gets the less influence Blackmoor actually has.

Shayuri

First Post
This looks neat, but I am in a looooot of games right now. I need to see what happens with a few other games before I can commit to this. I would like to try moar 5th Ed though.

Edit - Hup! Just saw it was basic.pdf only. Okay, I'll wait for that to open up a bit before throwing my hat in. :)

Shayuri

First Post
Hm. Although...I have been wanting to try a thief. And they're in basic.

Would we get to upgrade to PHB stats when the game gets there?

fireinthedust

Explorer
and how long are chapters?

dibs on wizard, I'd prefer High Elf or Human (or Tiefling, heh), and if it doesn't matter until 2nd level (which could be chapter 2?) I could have an eye towards Abjuration, Transmutation, or Diviner... but they're all so cool!

There's a basic random character generator on this site, in the tools thread, iirc. Excel sheet, some PBH stuff mentioned (but not filled in yet). I'm strongly considering figuring out the code and expanding it drastically with homebrew or PHB stuff. Just need to figure out how to add things as they increase, like levels, equipment, etc.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Each chapter is intended to be its own self-contained mini-campaign except where adventures are intentionally linked together (the GDQ series, for example).

For this chapter, I wanted to start at level 1, but the Temple itself is a bit more high powered than that so I plan on doing some introductory stuff that reveals more of the setting and the conflict between Blackmoor and the elves before diving into the Temple itself.

Regarding the PHB, once I get my hands on it, I'd be willing to allow level upgrades to contain PHB material (feats instead of ability score bonus, etc). With any luck, I'll have it before most characters have to make subclass choices. I'll also let characters retrain within reason (not an entirely different class, but clerics could choose a new domain, wizards could choose a new tradition if we've already passed 2nd level, etc.

I'd also allow a new PHB character to join after I acquire the PHB, assuming you're willing to let me kill your old character in some story-motivating but suitably awesome manner. :D However, for story and campaign world reasons, Dragonborn do not exist in the world yet.

fireinthedust

Explorer
This is a randomly generated character. I'll fix the ability scores later, and as he's 1st level I won't need to worry about "Illusionist" (ie: I could, I think, make him an Evoker, which I'm thinking of doing anyway)

Just getting my hat in.

Urth StormwindHuman(Illuskan)

Young Adult, MaleChaotic Good

Wizard (Illusion)Background:Sage

ABILITY
ModSAVES

Height:72"

STR9-1-1

Weight180lbs

DEX1311

Speed:30

CON1000

HIT DICE6

INT1635

Hit Points:7

WIS1424

CHA1522

SkillsScore
Personality

Acrobatics (Dex)1
4 There’s nothing I like more than a good mystery.
Animal Handling (Wis)3

Arcana (Int)5
Ideals

Athletics (Str)-1
4 No Limits. Nothing should fetter the infinite possibility inherent in all existence. (Chaotic)
Deception (Cha)2

History (Int)3

Insight (Wis)3
Bonds

Indimidation (Cha)2
6 I sold my soul for knowledge. I hope to do great deeds and win it back.
Investigation (Int)3

Medicine (Wis)5
Flaws

Nature (Int)3
2 Most people scream and run when they see a demon. I stop and take notes on its anatomy
Perception (Wis)3

Performance (Cha)2

Persuasion (Cha)2
Equipment

Religion (Int)3
MeleeQuarterstaff

Sleight of Hand (Dex)0
RangedDagger

Stealth (Dex)1
ToolExplorer's pack

Survival (Wis)3
Other:No armor

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I really like the "sold the soul" angle as it could potentially tie into the various demon cults operating in Blackmoor's capitol. Any ideas on which demon lord your character may have sold his soul to? And, possibly more importantly, why? You'll also need to pick some spells, both cantrips and 1st level spells in your spellbook, as well as spells prepared.

Remove ads