Everything D&D Ever - Temple of the Frog

Brother Dave

First Post
@Brother Dave: I like your shifty wizard concept. While I'm playing a Bard, I'm going Lore versus Performer, so there won't be toe-stepping. Most of my spells will be the buff/debuff/heals kind.

Also, we're pretty barren in the "outdoors-y" department - Barbarian, Ranger, Druid - and no one's even hinted at wanting to play Monk. :3

I think someone has the Survival skill, though...

I've worked up several characters since the Basic rules came out, and then more since I got my PHB, trying to get a good feel for how the character development works in 5e. I've only really fleshed out a few of them with solid personalities and backstories, though. The Wild Mage/Actor is one of my favorites, but I have some others I like, too. Only one "woodsy" type that I've really fleshed out - a troubled Wood Elf Ranger/Scout who retired from the army with PTSD after his entire squad was annihilated by hill giants. If he ever tracks down that particular band.... Anyway, he was a roll-up, so I'll have to adjust his stats to fit the 27 point buy if I want to use him for this. Or I might just make up a new character from whole cloth. I'll think about it once I get home this afternoon.

Brother Dave

First Post
Heh...now that Mudbunny has posted Alara, I'm tempted to go with my Noble High Elven Duelist. :) Would make for interesting interactions, since he has a certain...<sniff>...disdain...for the common folk.

But...I think I'll stick with my Wild Mage/Actor instead. I'll get his sheet up as soon as I can.

Shayuri

First Post
Hm. A shadow monk might be neat.

Okay!

I really like the Urchin background. I'm thinking of maybe doing the La Femme Nikita thing, with some orphan waif taken off the street and trained to be a death machine by some sinister bwacha that I then rebel against etc etc etc CREATIVITY.

That could be a shadow monk, or an assassin rogue...will work this quandry out.

Last edited:

sithramir

First Post
Mudbunny, that looks good to me. Kobold Stew is right, go with the Calligraphy tools proficiency. Abyssal is fine. Draconic, for campaign reasons, is not (dragons are myth and legend to the uneducated and ancient history to the educated).

Herobizkit, Pelor is the first of several saints of the Healing Light. Others, like Heironeous and Cuthbert, have not yet gained the recognition that Pelor has in the church, but they are slowly gaining renown.

Sithramir, have you considered an Eldritch Knight (Fighter subclass)?

Shayuri, sounds awesome. I was just researching Doctor Who's regenerations yesterday and found the idea to be a great storytelling technique. The Dread Pirate option also sounds quite nifty.

All, if you want to establish connectivity to future characters, here are a few other options...

1. Family Line - Each character is a member of the same family. Works best for races with long lineages, like dwarves.

2. Same Order - Each character is a member of an organization or group. The Church of the Healing Light is a good option here, as is a demon cult, bard college, or a knightly order.

3. Literally the same character - At some point during this first adventure, the character is turned into a vampire or lich or other immortal undead. Years and millennia erode the character's skills so they have to start over the learning process most of the time, but their memory of prior events is mostly intact (subject to the usual memory confusion people tend to suffer).

4. Artifact - Through circumstance, fate, or being passed down, each character is the possessor of a magic item.

5. The "Chosen One" - Each character is the "chosen one" of their generation, prophesied to destroy a great evil or some such.

Feel free to come up with other options as well.

Hmm. Late to respond but I really hate Eldritch Knights. The spells are given too late in the game and only reach level 4. I want more caster power. My background is mostly the DM (somewhat tired of that) but i've always been the arcane caster with a twist (fighter/rogue, etc). Bards are probably the first time they've hit what i really am looking for in an edition to fit it.

I want the higher levels to still have the cool "teleport or fly, etc" spells which is somewhat hard with the half casters (or 1/3 for EK). But here's the concept I really wanted to start working on:

I liked the idea of a Fey origin and being a Sidhe or Half-Sidhe. I don't care about specific powers so I would probably use human or half-elf and this be more "flavor". Specifically from where you discuss keeping iconic characters in the several other future campaigns I LOVE the idea of that being my character. His "magic" fluctuates (which fits with the concept of us changing levels) and he's a fighter style versatile character. Levels would mean his fighting fluctuates too but it would "match" the situations.

I am caught on the concept of a long lived character stuck in an ever changing world dealing with "mortals". I envision there being a royal "court" he belonged too that is likely destroyed now or perhaps not (you can fit that however you'd want in) but he's kind of "caught between" the elves and the humans and dragons and just trying to help how he can.

I typically like to get a "concept" and find the best way to fit that in with character levels.

It sounds like we've got a fighter, wizard, paladin, bard, rogue? So most everything is met. I just never work playing a pure Cleric unfortunately.
[MENTION=6747879]Hero[/MENTION] what is your concept? If i kept with the bard perhaps we wouldn't really be crossing in roles?

My idea was a bard fighter style who uses haste and other buffs like smite, etc to burn spell slots and be a front line fighter. I'll build him a bit tougher (maybe Resilient feat, etc). Maybe take a level or two of fighter?

Didn't want to get too serious to others seem acceptable with it, etc.

Shayuri

First Post
Okay, I'll go with a shadow monk then. With Urchin, I get proficiency in thief tools, so that lets me cover the 'rogue' role pretty decently.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
@sithramir My concept is Loreseeker. Skill-monkey/Librarian out questing for the Holy Land. I might be able to pull off the same thing with dusty ol' Cleric, but the idea was being decisively NOT a front-liner.

Someone willingly playing a Bard is generally unheard of, which is why I like the class so much. To have two in the same party defies all laws of reality.

I could just as easily go Knowledge Cleric/Sage background and probably accomplish roughly the same thing. If you want Bard, go ahead. Valorbard is where I see you going anyhow. lol

Unless there isn't a Knowledge-focused Cleric. IDHTBIFOM at the moment.

If not, there's always Lightbringer. Pew pew. lol

Last edited:

sithramir

First Post
I think the point is we wouldn't really clash at all. I'd rather you keep bard if it better accomplishes your idea.

Maybe we are siblings or friends both from the same college?

I could see us both going adventuring knowing that I fight melee and you assist.

In fact maybe you quest for knowledge is the why and you dragged me as the punching bag for when things go awry?

I won't have int so I won't be a scholar per say anyways.

*Edit: my intent is fey style warrior who's boosted by his magic. Haven't thought what skills I should focus on yet.

The song/instrument concept of bards wouldn't be the typical tavern story telling bard but is that music and art are part of the culture so everyone from my background had it

Last edited:

Remove ads