The Strange Corebook

TrickyUK

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for The Strange Corebook

Numenera presented a good system. Now MCG gives you an alternative setting. The system works well and has been adapted effectively. The one negative I would mention is there is a lot of similarity in the text with the previous Cypher System book.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
4 out of 5 rating for The Strange Corebook

Using the same engine as Monte Cook's Numenera RPG, this rule-lite game starts to show the flexibility of the system. Like its predecessor, it's gorgeous, and the setting and rules conspire to inspire.

Nojo509

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for The Strange Corebook

Most of the alternate worlds are created as fiction on earth, and take on a reality out in the strange, a malevolent world of dark matter and beings that eat planets. Clean, easy rules, and you can mix and match most of the creatures and items from Numenera with The Strange.

FallenAkriel

Explorer

Combine the excellent Cypher System with a campaign setting of infinite possibilities, remind us of the best in Planescape mix with World of Darkness Mage.

marroon69

Explorer

OK first off I have been a Cypher system fan boy from the start. I picked Numenera because of the setting but love it due to the system. This uses the same system, easy, fast, and fun. But once again the setting is the setting that is the focus, X-files meets Doctor Who (sort of). Basically modern day with ability to travel to recursions, a recursion is something totally new..it could be another dimension or it could be someones video game world given life. Once again the setting is the key with a great fast rules system.

DocSER

Explorer

I followed the development of this game from its kickstarter through its release. I was excited by the possibility of mixing different genres with play focusing on a fantasy setting one week with a visit to a Sci Fi setting the next week (or any other combination we can imagine). It seemed like a fun way to explore several other settings that I wanted to play but was not sure about developing a whole campaign there. The release of the book did not disappoint. The Cypher System is rules light and allows for the story to take the lead. The core book provides the whole system, character creations, along with heaps of setting material. You will find not only a basic Earth setting (with a bit of an X-Files feel), a fantasy setting and a Sci Fi setting (biomechanics themed), you will also find exotic realms -- called recursions -- like a marketplace of crows and the land of Oz. The core rulebook could supply countless hours of cross-genre play and I look forward to playing in this setting for years to come.

Dahak

Explorer

Powered by the Cypher System (originally used in Numenera), The Strange nimbly walks a line between traditional and narrative RPGs. It does feature parallels to traditional classes, feats and backgrounds, but attributes are treated as resource pools rather than static ratings. The layout is reminiscent of an annotated college textbook (though much prettier) with two column text supplemented by sidebars containing definitions or cross-references. In the PDF version, the cross-references are hyperlinked, as is the index and table of contents. Without giving much away, the setting brings to mind Torg, Nine Princes in Amber, Stargate SG-1, Fringe and Sliders, among others, with its mix of worlds of different genres.

Umbrathys

Explorer

Yep, this book is really, really good. Imagine a rule-set / game where ANY world or ANY game you can come up with fits within the paradigm and coverage of the rules. The Cypher system is elegant in its simplicity (possibly a tad to simplistic, but that is a minor quibble). Where this book shines, however, is not in the use of the Cypher system, it is in the purely fantastic and remarkably imagined infinity of ideas. You can literally drop any of your favorite RPG worlds into this book as a recursion with very little effort. Given that most fantasy, horror, and sci-fi RPG's can have their protagonists translated to the Cypher system with very little effort (trust me, Vampire, Ravenloft, Heroes Unlimited, it only takes a small amount of effort :), this book offers truly unlimited future potential.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases