The Strange Corebook

Dark Kain

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for The Strange Corebook

So we have a game that sports Demons, Dragons, Golems, Robots, Green Men from Mars, Animated Heart Trasplants, Crazy Cyborgs (addicted to grafting body parts), Dark Energy Pharaohs, Shoggots, The Jabberwock and Professor Moriarty. And somehow it manage to blend them in a way that Makes Sense and is incredible fun to play!

Welcome to the Earth of The Strange, where basically any fictional story worth of mentioning spawns dozens of "recursions", worlds in miniature where most of the populations is made of literal NPCs that follow blindly their made-up lives with near-zero autoconscience, while only a selected few are capable of recognizing the nature of their world, learning how to travel to our own Earth and how to benefit from this (often not in a friendly way).
Of course there is also the problem of 100% genuine Earth natives thinking that an army of Undead Skeletons armed with Laser Rifles would be a good investment.
All due to a billions years old alien thingamajig made to create a galactic network that wasn't really ready to the overwhelming amount of fiction the modern human society produces and consumes daily.

The game use the Cypher System ruleset that, by now you surely know ad nauseam, is the same rule system of Numenera. That system was good for Numenera, but is just wonderful for The Strange: a game were a GM is involved in narrating a story about stories gains quite a lot from eschewing DM dice rolls entirely and keeping a purely narrative approach of having things happen when they should (or when it is cool) and rewarding XPs to the players for this. Not to mention that the whole Descriptor/Type/Focus character creation is even better in The Strange, giving the ability to change your character's persona on the fly by swapping foci (a procedure that requires two minutes top, but create notably different characters) when translating (aka traveling and adapting) to a new recursion.

And the amount of gaming potential is incredible: want to play Doctor Who meets X-files? The Earth is your playground. Traditional heroic fantasy with a twist? Ardeyn. Political based Sci-fi? Ruk. Mafia wars (where everybody is an humanoid crow)? Crow Hollow. Lovercraftian horror? Obviously. World of Darkness styled horror? Easy as pie with a couple of extra rules to be a vampire or a licantrope as a bonus. Want to play Superman VS Goku? I swear there is a recursion just for you. So go and grab this manual: even if somehow you don't like the rule system (Don't worry: I won't judge) it is filled with enough ideas to keep you GMing for a couple of centuries.

Last edited:

3 out of 5 rating for The Strange Corebook

I bought this book because a) Monte Cook is a gaming genius and b) the concept reminded me of WEG's Torg. I spent many a happy gaming day during college around the TORGasbord. Unfortunately, I'm disappointed, even though the art is gorgeous, and I think the world of the Strange may well provide fruitful for my own gaming experiments. It's a beautiful coffee table book, but too pricey if that's all you get out of it.I have yet to run or play a game, but I already feel hemmed in by the character options. For my money, the biggest flaw of D&D is the level-based system, and the Strange/Numenera system unfortunately duplicates it with the structured character options. There are only three classes, modified by a set of descriptors and foci. Normally, character generation is my favorite part of a book, but I found it hard to slog through the options, and I was not inspired to start crafting a character. That can't be the effect the designers hoped for. Perhaps the world is expansive enough and game play will be sufficiently exciting enough that I'll change my mind in time.

Wystan

Explorer

This is an interesting and unique take on the multiple worlds theory, I backed as a KS backer, but then also bought a second copy and additional PDFs to give away. The system is amazing and is fun to read and play.

JLant

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for The Strange Corebook

Nice graphic design and creative concepts. Re-stating the cypher system was a minus for me; would've preferred expanded setting specific material but YMMV.

Pros:- A very rich and original setting, that will take time to sink in and digest. - A character creation slightly different from Numenera.Cons:- Choosing focus the first time characters go to a recursion can be time consuming.

Diehard GameFAN

First Post

All in all, The Strange is another fantastic release from Monte Cook Games. I’ll admit I prefer Numenera‘s setting but that is 100% subjective. The Strange really is a fantastic game that came out in this summer of consistent top notch products. As such, I’m glad I’m covering it a little later than I normally do, because otherwise it might have been lost in the shuffle of all the big releases that came out around the same time. So if you missed the game in August when it first came out, here’s your chance to add it to your winter holiday of choice wish list and hopefully receive a copy of it in December. In many ways, The Strange reminds me of the old game Lords of Creation mixed with Numenera rules and trust me when I say, that’s a pretty big compliment.

ibkevg

First Post

The Strange setting offers so many possibilities with the idea of recursions being worlds that you can travel between. The Cypher system at it's core is straightforward and flexible, while the book itself is well written, well organized and is beautifully illustrated. Overall this is a great new RPG!

Blitzner

First Post

The general ideia and the setting are brilliant. But the system and players options don't keep the same pace. "You can be anyone anywhere", except that is somewhat like 8 characters options.

spiggs18

First Post

Just like Numenera Before it another beautifully illustrated and well organized book. The setting is great for pretty much trying different genres and playstyles. Then again I love the Cypher System for pretty much everything.

Daramere

First Post

The Strange promises new experiences and exploration. However, as presented in the core book, the game is not focused on that sort of play, instead emphasizing intrigue between a small number of worlds. Additionally, the Cypher System is not the best fit for the Strange (for example, the most defining aspect of a character in the Cypher System becomes essentially meaningless in the Strange).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases