D&D 5E What do players spend their treasure on?

Skullrama

Villager
I've been playing in a campaign since the early release of the PHB and we're having a good time so far, but the latest session has introduced a little hiccup. After completing a fairly perilous quest, our party received 1000 GP of treasure, along with enough XP to get up to level 4. Of course, without any real treasure guidelines until November, the GM kind of had to just make up a number.

Now, from the get go, I've been all for abolishing the magic item economy; finding a magic item in this edition brings to mind the troll's treasure hoard in The Hobbit, where you knew these swords were rare and special things. The other end of the problem only just occurred to me as we began to experience it though. Without magic items to buy, what do players spend their enormous wealth on?

Even with only a few hundred GP each, we scratched our heads at what we could possibly do with it; no one in the party even wears heavy armor. Sure, we could get our weapons silvered, maybe pick up a flask of acid or an alchemist's fire in case we ever run into a troll, but after that, we're pretty much at the bottom of the barrel for adventuring gear that's actually useful. What's worse, we're only level 4. Should we survive until the lofty heights of level 12, where we will certainly have tens of thousands of gold pieces worth of treasure, and a significant amount of raw coinage, where in the world will we ever spend it?

So what do you think, denizens of enworld? Should the GM start putting money sinks in quests that help expedite information gathering? Limit adventurer rewards to more 'realistic' amounts? Introduce stronghold building and hope the players go for it? Or maybe the players should go the dragon route and hoard all their wealth in a cave somewhere so they can go for a swim whenever they feel particularly Scrooge McDuck. Or have I missed something obvious?

Ale and prostitutes are the socially acceptable means of spending loot. I will agree that it feels a bit weird though - the players in my game spent some time trying to shop, but couldn't find anything that they wanted except Full Plate, which they naturally couldn't afford. I suspect that the DMG might bring more downtime/strongholdy stuff to waste money on though.

Paraxis

Explorer
Magic Items.

Researching where magic items might be for the taking, finding out what temples and merchants have a few magic items in vaults to steal, paying a team of thieves to take said magic items for you, ohh and bunches and bunches of potions of healing.

Besides magic items, I would guess the normal stuff.
  • sex
  • drugs
  • taxes
  • art
  • land
  • entertainment
  • children
  • servants
  • slaves
  • church
  • hirelings
  • monuments to their greatness
  • buying good will from the people
  • charity

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Lifestyle costs money. If the adventures are spaced out enough the characters should want to get a move on as that daily cost can really add up.

My character is pouring money into renovating an orphanage (the existing buildings are now waterproof), with an eye to also get a warhorse and better armour. I imagine in the future he could:
- buy/build a keep
- buy/clear/rent land
- finance an expedition
- pay a dowry
- grease some palms for timely warnings
- buy a stack of potions
- help finance better equipped followers
- throw a party/stage a tournament
- buy a ship
- wage a war

I just look at the character and ask myself what would they want to do to achieve that? My current character has a deliberately impossible ideal so he'll never have too much gold.

SuperZero

First Post
You can spend part of in on training in new languages or tool proficiencies. That's not a fast way to spend treasure, though, since it takes 250 days of downtime to actually gain one and you only pay 1 gp per day spent training... it's very adventure-pace dependent whether you actually have time to spend the whole 250.

Remove ads