Non Weapon proficencies

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
Folks:
I am a long time AD&D 2E player (since ’92); however, I recently discovered the D&D and Basic Rules in the Dungeons & Dragon Rules Cyclopedia. I like some of the ideas, which keeps the game simple, and fast. Due to heavy work schedule - I am looking for something that plays fast, which enables me to focus on the roleplaying aspects.

With that latter in mind – I see the Rules Cyclopedia has ‘non weapon’ proficiencies, which are governed off attribute stats; however, unless I am overlooking it, I see no rules related to ‘how to’ increasing Non Weapon proficiencies.

I can add AD&D 2E proficiencies rules; however, I was thinking about using the ‘ Weapon Mastery Level Table and rules’ for a Human character, so a character would also get a ‘non weapon proficiency’ bonus to the selected D&D non weapon proficiencies, but I want to see how the ENworld community handles this.

Crothian

First Post
It has been a while but I thought in Rules Cyclopedia it does say if you select the same non weapon prof again it gives you a bonus on the roll. That's what we always did but it could have been a house rule. It has been a couple decades since we played that.

Nellisir

Hero
Folks:
I am a long time AD&D 2E player (since ’92); however, I recently discovered the D&D and Basic Rules in the Dungeons & Dragon Rules Cyclopedia. I like some of the ideas, which keeps the game simple, and fast. Due to heavy work schedule - I am looking for something that plays fast, which enables me to focus on the roleplaying aspects.

With that latter in mind – I see the Rules Cyclopedia has ‘non weapon’ proficiencies, which are governed off attribute stats; however, unless I am overlooking it, I see no rules related to ‘how to’ increasing Non Weapon proficiencies.

I can add AD&D 2E proficiencies rules; however, I was thinking about using the ‘ Weapon Mastery Level Table and rules’ for a Human character, so a character would also get a ‘non weapon proficiency’ bonus to the selected D&D non weapon proficiencies, but I want to see how the ENworld community handles this.
Many non-weapon proficiencies couldn't be improved. You got more, not necessarily better. I think we might've allowed characters to repeat for a +2 or +3 bonus, but some classes get a lot of nwp slots, so it needs to be watched.

That was in 2e, at least - I never actually used the D&D Cyclopedia.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
As my favorite D&D book ever, I know the RC pretty well. :D

On page 86 under the header of Improving Skills, it states...

"Characters' skill can be increased to higher scores. Simply use more skill choices to improve skill rolls, and the PC will get a +1 to his skill roll for every skill choice added to that skill. A skill choice can be used to either improve an existing skill by one point or to buy a new skill, not both."

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
As my favorite D&D book ever, I know the RC pretty well. :D

On page 86 under the header of Improving Skills, it states...

"Characters' skill can be increased to higher scores. Simply use more skill choices to improve skill rolls, and the PC will get a +1 to his skill roll for every skill choice added to that skill. A skill choice can be used to either improve an existing skill by one point or to buy a new skill, not both."

Wow!!! I can't believe I missed that chapter - I only purchased the pdf download when I posted the message, so it looks like 'more reading for me'.

I am liking this edition a great deal - 2E is a great version, and the version I started with; however, I wanted something different and streamlined.

Thanks again Masquerading Vampire....

dr_venture

First Post
Might I suggest checking out C&C if you're looking for something really fast to pick up and run on a busy schedule, and that is very, very much in the realm of AD&D 1e & 2e. Having been a huge 1e fan, I *love* the system... like AD&D with all the convoluted stuff ironed out, leaving a system that doesn't require a lot of rules checking. Also, original AD&D material can be rune very easily -- the conversion can be done right on the spot, right in your head. I'm currently using C&C to run a Greyhawk campaign that I started in 1982 with AD&D1e, and it works great with the source material.

The free quick start rules can be downloaded from the publisher here -- it'll tell you everything you need to know about the system so yo can see if you like it:

http://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/cnc_qs.pdf

cimbrog

Explorer
Cyclopedia D&D and AD&D 2e work together surprisingly well. My homebrew up until the arrival of 3rd edition was a mish-mash of the two and it was great.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases