September what are you reading?

delericho

Legend
We missed August, didn't we? :)

I'm currently reading the latest Pathfinder Tale: "Reign of Stars" by Tim Pratt. It's okay so far, though I'm barely into the meat of it. (Plus, 'okay' should be taken in the context of it being game fiction - it's never going to be the best novel ever!)

Next up will be the Ninth (or is it Tenth now?) Doctor novel from their 50th Anniversary set - "Only Human" by Gareth Roberts. And then "Bleak House" by Dickens.

Somewhere along the way, I might find time to read my shiny new D&D 5e books - probably "Hoard of the Dragon Queen" first and then the PHB, but that's subject to change.

Richards

Legend
I'm reading a short story collection, Songs of the Dying Earth, in honor of Jack Vance. I was concerned not everybody would be able to write in his very distinctive style, but so far, all but one of the authors have managed to do fairly well. And considering this collection is just shy of 800 pages (in paperback) and I'm over halfway done, that's not a bad average.

Johnathan

delericho

Legend
Incidentally, something happened in August that I did not expect - Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath" replaced Dickens' "Tale of Two Cities" as the best novel I've ever read. (ToTC remains the more enjoyable read, right enough - GoW mostly just made me very, very angry. But it's also the better novel, probably because of that. Much like "Star Wars" remains my favourite film, but it's not the best I've ever seen.)

Stephan King's The Stand..... complete and unedited edition
*has a coughing fit* i showed up to my 4th grade class one day with that book and the other kids couldn't believe that i was reading it....

EDIT: And now i have both the original edition and the complete and unedited on my bookshelf

biotech66

Explorer
I'm reading The Magician's Land. Its a great book, but like the others in the books in the series, DON'T READ IF YOU GET DEPRESSED EASILY!

*has a coughing fit* i showed up to my 4th grade class one day with that book and the other kids couldn't believe that i was reading it....

EDIT: And now i have both the original edition and the complete and unedited on my bookshelf

t is a massive read. But one I have been putting off for a bit.

Jhaelen

First Post
Stephan King's The Stand..... complete and unedited edition
I have some fond memories about that book because reading it I finally learned how to actually read an English book rather than translating it word for word, sentence by sentence. It took me about six weeks to finish, reading 1-2 hours a day on the train while commuting.

In August I read 'Redshirts' by John Scalzi which was just the right length to be a fun read from beginning to end.

After that I started to read the complete collection of Sandman comics by Neil Gaiman. I'm still at it, currently reading volume seven (originally issues #41-49). The stories (and the drawings) are a bit of a mixed bag. So far I liked 'Seasons of Mist' best.

Richards

Legend
I had a similar experience, only in my case it was 6th grade and The Annotated Sherlock Holmes, volume 1 of a 2-volume set. Together, it was all of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novels and short stories about Holmes, complete with notes by a number of Holmesian scholars. Each hardcover volume was about 18 inches tall and about three inches thick. And yes, I finished volume 2 immediately after having finished volume 1....

Johnathan

Remove ads