Hoard of the Dragon Queen - Prologue

epicbob

Explorer
Robert Weaving

[sblock=ooc]Is the boy's name Wyrt? XD[/sblock]

Robert finishes his meal before getting up and following Kerri.

"Very well, then, forest dweller! That eastern lodge seems like a good place to start our hunt. The sooner we clear out those Gnolls, the sooner I get a good look at that bonus promised by the Dwarf."

Before leaving, however, he turns towards the others before saying : "Although, we should probably wait for the others, as they seem to be seeking some information of their own."

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
"Yes miss... er, misses... " says the boy, as he grabs for the bread with his free arm. He looks at Renestrae and Mirri, and smiles gratefully before tucking in.

In between greedy mouthfuls of food he says, "My name's Tim. Tim Wyrt. I was in the woods two days ago with my friend Eric... we was playing in the stream and tickling for spratfish. Y'know... you reach under a rock, feel for a fish, wiggle your fingers and they go really calm and quiet... you just scoop them up."

He wiggles his fingers to demonstrate, almost losing his grip on the stick and hobbling for a moment. He winces in pain. As you glance down at his leg, you notice the ragged edge of some bandages peeking out from underneath his clothes, and patches of what could be dried blood on his trouser leg.

"I got my leg caught in a trap... it hurt so bad... my friend Eric went to go and get help. But while I was waiting I heard something coming from up the stream, near the stones... scary sounds. The trap weren't chained down proper, so I dragged myself away and hid under a fallen tree. I saw them... the Guh-nolls. They walked right past me, five of em I think. Was looking for their trap. I kept really quiet, and they went away again."

A few tears form as he finishes off the bread. He wipes his grimy sleeve across his face, drying his eyes. "Then my pa came with a crowbar, and got me out of the trap. Carried me home. Said I had to walk with the stick now 'cause he can't afford no gold for healing at the temple... them Guh-nolls are nasty. Be careful where you walk. I bet they've got more traps out there."

----------

RECAP:

Renestrae, Erevan and Mirri remain in the tavern bar room, speaking or listening to TIm Wyrt
Kerri is making for the door
Robert is about to leave, but waiting for his companions

OOC fo Erevan:
[sblock]Your sleight of hand beats the passive perception of everyone still at the table, so you pocket one of the gems unnoticed. To someone with a passing knowledge of gems they could reach 15-18gp perhaps. Your stealth check is more than good enough to sneak up to the boy unnoticed. You've overheard pretty much the entire conversation.[/sblock]

Last edited:

mips42

Adventurer
Hearing the boy's tale, Erevan slinks quietly away again and joins Robert at the door. In a harsh whisper he says to Robert 'We find the gnolls. When we find them, we end them' and then stalks outside.

industrygothica

Adventurer
"Well thank you, Tim Wyrt," Renestrae says as she straightens the boy's sleeve. "I'll be on the lookout for traps, I promise you that. You promise me you'll take care of that leg, and I'll bring you a gnoll's tooth when we come back."

Renestrae stands and joins the others at the door. "They've got the area trapped, and patrol in groups of five or more."

Li Shenron

Legend
"Tell the other to wait for me, please." says Miri to Renestrae leaving, "I want to check this boy's wound is properly bandaged at least."

Miri addresses the boy in the kindest possible way, to make sure to lessen his distress. "Tim, let me take a look at your wounded leg. I have some experience with tending at injuries like this." She then proceeds at inspecting the wound, both for the immediate purpose of seeing if she can in fact do something to at least secure the bandage or lessen his pain, and to perhaps gain some additional insight about the kind of trap that he was a victim of.

If necessary here's a proficient Wisdom(Medicine) check: 1d20+4 → [7,4] = (11)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4642301/

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
The boy nods and allows you to inspect his leg. He scrunches up his eyes and grimaces as you peel away the dirty bandages and inspect his injury.

There are several vicious puncture wounds around his leg, but nothing too deep. The wounds are ragged and the flesh torn - possibly exacerbated by the lad dragging himself to safety, but even so it's clear that the trap was designed to inflict pain and suffering, as well as immobilizing their victim.

As long as the bandages are changed regularly, and the leg kept clean, Tim should recover form his wounds with nothing worse than a few scars. If you wish you can clean and re-dress his leg with a scrap of clothing or something similar to replace the old bloodied bandages.

Li Shenron

Legend
"This ain't too bad, kid. Just be patient, and your leg will heal in time, and return to normal. But make sure to wash the wound and put on a new bandage every day."

[I don't think Miri has any healer's kit at the moment, but if she has something clean enough and suitable, like a strip of cloth, she will immediately replace the boy's dirty bandage. After that, she will greet the boy and join the others.]

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
"Yes miss.. thank you miss!" says Tim cheerfully as he hobbles off, a fresh piece of cloth wrapped around his injured leg.

With the group reunited, you head off to find Henric's lodge. After a short walk through the tiny hamlet, you come to the stone bridge that crosses the small, rocky steam that marks the unofficial boundary of Shad's Copse. Off to one side of the road, on the edge of the woods, you can see a cart of some sort stopped outside of a wooden dwelling. A bored looking pony is hitched up to the cart, absentmindedly chewing on the grass, and you can see a figure in the back of the cart, waiting patiently.

As you get closer, you can see the woodsman's lodge. Small but sturdily built from hewn logs, the eaves and corners have been carved into various decorative shapes and patterns.

You overhear fragments of an argument taking place on the other side of the wagon between a male and a female voice.

"...told you you were going too fast over that rocky patch..."
"...would have hoped to be in Greenest by mid-day..."
"...always know best, don't you..."
"...well we won't be going anywhere without getting this wheel fixed..."

As you reach the woodsman's house, you can see more clearly what is going on - the cart has a broken wheel, and two gnomes are arguing animatedly about whose fault it was. Meanwhile, a hunched over human figure with greying hair and a handaxe on his belt is examining the damage.

Sitting in the cart is an elf of some sort, with untidy blond hair, and wearing a chainmail shirt. A shield is propped up in the cart beside him, and any elves in the group immediately recognise the symbol of Sehanine Moonbow embossed upon it.

[OOC: Bit of a railroad but I wanted to move things along to get our new player involved ASAP]

OOC for Rolen:
[sblock]You have managed to negotiate transport to Greenest in the form of a cart of trade goods (mostly turnips) with James and Jenna Hoptodd, a Gnome couple who so far have spent most of the journey arguing. Damage to their cart has forced them to stop and seek aid in Shad's Copse before they can go any further. They have found an experienced carpenter/woodsman, Henric, who is currently assessing the damage.[/sblock]

mips42

Adventurer
Erevan

As Erevan stalks up to the man repairing the cart, he says 'Henric, I presume? Grundiz told us that you were the person to talk to about the possibility of creatures lurking around the standing stones. What can you tell us?'

Brother Dave

First Post
Rolen Galanodel had done his best to ignore the bickering gnomes during his journey. His gratitude for the transportation quickly waned as he endured their constant back-and-forth. Even the damage to the cart wheel only changed the focus of their argument. In days past he would have sought solace in meditation, but these days that brought little in the way of peace.

Rolen sighed again as he waited for the grey-haired human to finish his examination. He had hoped to reach Greenest by nightfall, but the chances of that were diminishing rapidly. In his mind's eye he again relived the dream, the almost prophetic vision he had experienced every 5 nights like clockwork for the last few months. He didn't need to do any mental calculations to know that the next was due tonight. He almost cringed in anticipation.

"...creatures lurking about the standing stones. What can you tell us?"

Rolen's ruminations were suddenly interrupted as he realized that another person - a fellow wood elf, if he wasn't mistaken - had been speaking. He had been so lost in thought he hadn't even noticed anyone else approaching. He quickly looked up, his interest piqued at the mention of creatures. He saw a small band of humans and elves, apparently addressing the human inspecting the cart. His curiosity warred briefly with irritation at the thought that this might delay his journey even further, but the possibility that someone might be in need of help or healing decided him. He lightly hopped down from the cart and approached the group.

He stood awkwardly for a moment, unsure how to proceed. It had been so long since he had dealt with anyone else, much less a fellow elf. With the gnomes it was easy - they did most of the talking, requiring only minor conversational contributions and occasional grunts from him. Finally he blurted out, "Did you say creatures? What kind of creatures? Are there any injuries? Just let me gather my gear."

Rolen started back to the cart, then stopped and realized he hadn't even introduced himself. Red faced, he turned back to the others, the manners hammered into him by his mother seemingly ages ago finally asserting themselves. "Er...sorry. I'm Rolen Galanodel. I'm an initiate of Sehanine Moonbow." He flushed again. "But you probably already gathered that from my shield." He paused uncertainly. "Um...I have some healing gifts granted by the goddess. If...if anyone needs them", he finished lamely.

He paused again, then abrubtly turned back to the cart to grab his things. Idiot!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases