is it me? FFG Star Wars

aramis erak

Legend
As much as I want to do the whole, "I respect your opinion, and tastes differ," etc., there's a part of me that wants to scream at the top of my lungs "YOU COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG!!!!"

:) :p

So instead, I'll offer up some actual evidence --- Savage Worlds is the only game that's not a flavor of "D&D" to register a high enough percentage of games played on Fantasy Grounds to show up on the pie chart as its own segment. No other non-D&D game comes close. Savage Worlds has more games being played on Fantasy Grounds than all of the entire Star Wars variants combined.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/conten...t-Played-On-FANTASY-GROUNDS-In-2015-(Hint-D-D!)

It's definitely doing something right, even if JeffB isn't a fan.

:cool:

And, for dead tree, Star Wars outsells it by a considerable margin... which means there's a lot of people buying the SWRPG...

Fantasy Grounds is not a fair sample of the gaming in general, because, while it's VERY reliable as a data generator, it measures a segment that is strongly different from the general playerbase of RPGs. Many of us won't touch FG no matter what - either because of price or because we don't care for play via VTT, or because they use other VTT's...

It also doesn't hurt that Pinnacle specifically released a FG ruleset pack... something which FFG cannot legally do due to the license.

Last edited:

cmad1977

Hero
I'm playing in a SW game now.
I like it. I have some issues with it.
The dice: not that complicated after a few throws. I do run into issues of narration. Sometimes I just want to start the ship and go, not narrate a wacky triumph/despair/complication. Other times I just don't have the 'juice' to make stuff up on the fly.
The Rules: probably just an issue at my table, our GM has all the books. It's too many rules for me sometimes. Why do I need the rules for modding my blasters mods? Even some of the basic rules seem a little too convoluted for the payoff.

One good thing though, one of our players started with D&D and didn't like it. However she really likes SW. The non-binary resolution helps when her dice are cold. In D&D, if your rolling 7's... sometimes it feels like you're not doing anything. In SW oftentimes even if your dice are 'cold' you're making something happen.

I'm having fun, give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water Bob

Adventurer
The dice: not that complicated after a few throws. I do run into issues of narration. Sometimes I just want to start the ship and go, not narrate a wacky triumph/despair/complication. Other times I just don't have the 'juice' to make stuff up on the fly.

Doesn't sound like I'd like it at all.

I'll stick with D6 for Star Wars.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Doesn't sound like I'd like it at all.

I'll stick with D6 for Star Wars.

It's like orphan tears, you don't know how good it is until you've tried. The FFG dice mechanics are fantastic. I tried d6 and couldn't stand it. Goofy as all get out. Knowing WHY you get a negative die is fantastic.

It's normally average difficulty to cross that tightrope, but you're holding on to a kid while doing it, so upgrade a purple to a red. Oh, It's also raining, so add a setback die. Now Roll.

1 success, 2 threat, and a despair.

You managed to make it across, but along the way, you slipped, barely holding on by your fingers to the rope, so it took longer to cross than you wanted. Oh yes, despair, you dropped the kid an he disappeared into the cloud layers beneath the speeder lanes. But hey, YOU made it across :D

Water Bob

Adventurer
It's like orphan tears, you don't know how good it is until you've tried. The FFG dice mechanics are fantastic. I tried d6 and couldn't stand it. Goofy as all get out. Knowing WHY you get a negative die is fantastic.

It's normally average difficulty to cross that tightrope, but you're holding on to a kid while doing it, so upgrade a purple to a red. Oh, It's also raining, so add a setback die. Now Roll.

1 success, 2 threat, and a despair.

You managed to make it across, but along the way, you slipped, barely holding on by your fingers to the rope, so it took longer to cross than you wanted. Oh yes, despair, you dropped the kid an he disappeared into the cloud layers beneath the speeder lanes. But hey, YOU made it across :D

Seems much too...I don't know...random, I guess. Too gimmicky.

Like the poster before, I like interpreting dice rolls. I don't like being forced to interpret EVERY dice roll.

The D6 system is one of the best systems ever designed, imo. It can be gritty. It can be swashbuckling. It's fun and fits Star Wars like a glove.

It also seems like it might lead to un-necessary arguments with some groups: "Hey, you rolled a dispair. You dropped the kid."

"I dropped the kid? No way I did that. I nearly fell on the tight rope, caught myself, and my blaster pistol jiggled out of my holster and fell to the depths. I don't have a weapon any more. But, I'm still gripping the kid."

"Nope. That's not how I interpret the dice. You dropped the kid."

"When Jimmy rolled that despair about an hour ago, you weren't this hard on him!"

"Sure I was--and he wasn't holding a kid while trying to cross a tight rope! You dropped the kid!"

"Man, this game sucks. Let's go back to D6."

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
We get it Bob, you hate everything new...

That said, it's a great game for emulating the feel. Better than WEG, and WEG was never bettered by anything WOTC did.

As for "Start and go" - when you want to start and go, if you're the GM, you can just "Say yes" and move on.

cmad1977

Hero
I wouldn't use WeG rules again. FFG Star Wars is the only system I'd play in.
But that's really neither here nor there so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases