Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood (SPOILERS)

MarkB

Legend
That was a rather fun romp, showing a side of Capaldi's Doctor we hadn't seen yet. The best moments were definitely the buddy-cop bickering/bantering between the Doctor and Robin, but Clara was also on excellent form.

Sadly no more from Missy this time (I was half-expecting the Sheriff to end up with her after his bath), but apparently the Promised Land is going to be a Thing this season. It'll be interesting to see where that goes.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hmmm. My least favourite episode this year so far. Just kinda silly and kiddie. I guess I'd have enjoyed it when I was 7.

when i heard the following :

"Perhaps, others will be heroes in our name.” -Robin Hood

I automatically thought of "The children of Time" and the following quote from Davros "... how many have died in your name? "

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Just watched it on iPlayer. Loved it. High paced, funny and silly. There are brilliant scenes, as was the case of the two other episodes. Even though we could have substituted Matt Smith for Capaldi straight off, I liked the portrayal of the Doctor.

/M

delericho

Legend
Yep, I liked this one as well. This was also the first time I've really liked Capaldi's Doctor - until now, it just hasn't felt 'right'.

I also really hated the
bit about firing the gold arrow at the ship at the end. Not only is it stupid to think just sticking a bit more gold on the ship would give it enough to make orbit, it was really stupid to think it would fly, what with not having proper fletching. Oh, and being made of gold.
That bit alone almost ruined the whole episode for me.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yep, I liked this one as well. This was also the first time I've really liked Capaldi's Doctor - until now, it just hasn't felt 'right'.

I also really hated the
bit about firing the gold arrow at the ship at the end. Not only is it stupid to think just sticking a bit more gold on the ship would give it enough to make orbit, it was really stupid to think it would fly, what with not having proper fletching. Oh, and being made of gold.
That bit alone almost ruined the whole episode for me.

No spoiler tags needed - the whole thread is marked as a spoiler thread. :)

So, yeah, my main issues were:

1. The spoon fight was just silly, and not in a good way.
2. Firing the gold arrow at the spaceship to give it a tiny bit more fuel.
3. All that reflecting the shots back at the robots, like every shot was exactly horizontal and nobody's legs or head got hit.

There was a bit cut from the episode for sensitivity reasons given recent news where the Sheriff gets beheaded and revealed to be a robot.

Anyone notice this little cameo from Patrick Troughton back when he was Robin Hood? I thought that was nice.

d21-600x339.png

No Missy this week, though there is a reference to The Promised Land.

Richards

Legend
And I noticed it's another ship full of robots trying to get to the Promised Land. It'll be funny if the Promised Land ends up being Red Dwarf's "Silicon Heaven," where good little robots, toasters, and calculators go when they die.

Johnathan

Felon

First Post
No spoiler tags needed - the whole thread is marked as a spoiler thread. :)

So, yeah, my main issues were:

1. The spoon fight was just silly, and not in a good way.
2. Firing the gold arrow at the spaceship to give it a tiny bit more fuel.
3. All that reflecting the shots back at the robots, like every shot was exactly horizontal and nobody's legs or head got hit.

Pretty shoddy episode overall, at least for the irascible malcontent sort like myself who does not subscribe to the notion that a Doctor Who episode is wonderful as long as it's glib about its silliness and unabashed in its contrivances and ooh there's people being all giddy and plucky and capering about gaily, tee-hee-hee. :hmm:

So, the bad guys made a golden arrow that was actually just the amount of gold that was needed to get the ship into orbit? I mean, if gold is a vital component in making ships go :)erm:), wouldn't it all be used to, y'know, make the ship go? There are all kinds of things that can be given away as prizes. I guess we're supposed to write a lot off on the Sheriff of Notthingham just being such a caricature of a knucklehead villain that he feels safe doing something that he has absolutely no reason to feel safe doing.

It was just, what, two episodes ago that we had robots disguising their crashed spaceship as a building? I know Doctor Who is basically just a non-stop recycling of the same tropes ad infinitum, but I'd hoped there was some kind of implicit buffer between rehashings. Couldn't they have used this week for a "rickety, steamy ship/station full of sweaty people dying Ten-Little-Indians-style while facing imminent explosion/crash/release of pure evil" episode? Haven't seen one of those in a while. :)

I totally missed the Patrick Troughton reference. Thanks for pointing it out.

Last edited:

Remove ads