Thinking about picking up a guitar

Janx

Hero
Having bought the guitar only a couple weeks ago, I have not made any such plans, no.

It's all good. My goal was to get good enough for the backyard BBQ. Play a few songs at a friend's party and then eat.

I ended up playing in a jazz ensemble. I guess it worked out.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's all good. My goal was to get good enough for the backyard BBQ. Play a few songs at a friend's party and then eat.

I ended up playing in a jazz ensemble. I guess it worked out.

If you are happy, then certainly, it worked out!

For me - I don't know many musicians locally. I don't think anyone in my social circles plays an instrument. That's was actually a bit of the draw, actually - it is a bit unique among my friends, and, well, I don't have to worry about being compared to others. So, unlikely to be getting into a band any time soon :)

Janx

Hero
If you are happy, then certainly, it worked out!

For me - I don't know many musicians locally. I don't think anyone in my social circles plays an instrument. That's was actually a bit of the draw, actually - it is a bit unique among my friends, and, well, I don't have to worry about being compared to others. So, unlikely to be getting into a band any time soon :)

One never knows. My musical journey was similar. But through it, I met people who've become good friends.

In any event. Just keep practicing. You need to get good enough to Filk. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In any event. Just keep practicing. You need to get good enough to Filk. :)

Yep. :) My wife has a number of musician friends who attend the Ohio Valley Filk Festival. We even went as a tail end of our honeymoon. While they are very welcoming there, it can seem a bit awkward when neither of us perform. If I can whip out a guitar in a circle every now and again, it'd be a more fun trip.

Got myself a cheapo guitar strap yesterday. Some of my difficulty in fingering seems to have been alleviated by not having to hold up the neck of the guitar. The balls of my middle and ring fingers still tend to mute strings, but it easier to find a position that doesn't, which is good.

Something in my head just clicked last night about using a pick. I was strumming with a pick way too hard, causing strings to buzz. Found the right pressure, and it works much better now.

I find I like playing the E-phrygian scale more than the chromatic. Not because is it shorter, or easier, it is just... more fun.

My local Guitar Center apparently has a rank-beginner class for free on Saturday morning. If I have gumption enough to be up that early, I may go.

Janx

Hero
Yep. :) My wife has a number of musician friends who attend the Ohio Valley Filk Festival. We even went as a tail end of our honeymoon. While they are very welcoming there, it can seem a bit awkward when neither of us perform. If I can whip out a guitar in a circle every now and again, it'd be a more fun trip.

Got myself a cheapo guitar strap yesterday. Some of my difficulty in fingering seems to have been alleviated by not having to hold up the neck of the guitar. The balls of my middle and ring fingers still tend to mute strings, but it easier to find a position that doesn't, which is good.

Something in my head just clicked last night about using a pick. I was strumming with a pick way too hard, causing strings to buzz. Found the right pressure, and it works much better now.

I find I like playing the E-phrygian scale more than the chromatic. Not because is it shorter, or easier, it is just... more fun.

My local Guitar Center apparently has a rank-beginner class for free on Saturday morning. If I have gumption enough to be up that early, I may go.

guitar solos tend to be made from the interesting scales like Phyrigian. Remember, you can move that scale. Set the starting point to the 5th fret on the E string, and now it should be A-Phrygian because A is the note at the 5th fret on the E string.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, I've been quietly plunking away at practice. My desire to do a half-hour *every* day has given way to practical reality, unfortunately.

However, there is a plus - lessons. A local folky/indy cafe/music/arts venue offers classes, and my wife got me a round of them as an anniversary gift. First lesson is today. We'll see how it goes....

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases