Thinking about picking up a guitar

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As I last reported, it was going slowly. I was having a hard time getting my hands to just go to a given shape of chord with any speed.

Then, I had to set it aside for a while. There was a period of financial and personal stress, such that I couldn't responsibly pay for lessons, and trying to practice on my own was *damnably* frustrating. I found that while I can amiably fail and keep at it when times are good, doing so when worried about mortgage payments... not fun.

New job, reduced stress, and I picked it up again a week and a half ago. It is back to being amiable failure, which is good. I still have very fond feelings for the physical instrument, which is awesome. Unfortunately, the place I was going for lessons doesn't offer them over the summer. So, I'm looking for other sources.

Ultimately, not a whole lot of progress on this front. :(

Janx

Hero
As I last reported, it was going slowly. I was having a hard time getting my hands to just go to a given shape of chord with any speed.

Then, I had to set it aside for a while. There was a period of financial and personal stress, such that I couldn't responsibly pay for lessons, and trying to practice on my own was *damnably* frustrating. I found that while I can amiably fail and keep at it when times are good, doing so when worried about mortgage payments... not fun.

New job, reduced stress, and I picked it up again a week and a half ago. It is back to being amiable failure, which is good. I still have very fond feelings for the physical instrument, which is awesome. Unfortunately, the place I was going for lessons doesn't offer them over the summer. So, I'm looking for other sources.

Ultimately, not a whole lot of progress on this front. :(

That's a bummer that real life got in the way, but I'm glad for you that things are better now.

What all have you learned so far? Best thing to do is keep plugging away on that, so you keep what you do know in the noggin.

I haven't played in a year or so, but I still could fumble my way through:
when I come around
7 nation army
the beginning to SOaD's Hypnotize
Used to Love her

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Even when not taking lessons, I have found that there is something relaxing about sitting down and strumming out some chords I enjoy hearing.

Remove ads