Thinking about picking up a guitar

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And right now, there has never been a better time to be a guitarist, because the technology of the day is so damn powerful. For instance, my comments above about recording your sessions? Well, this is a thing now:
http://www2.gibson.com/Memory-Cable.aspx

That is one of those things that is exceedingly clever of the person who thought of it, and then bleedingly obvious once you've seen it. I hope the person who thought of that earns some good money off it.

I am reminded of a story about the Rolling Stones. Keith Richards was drunk in the studio after everyone left. Next morning, he found a reel on the tape deck that had the basic riff for "Jumpin' Jack Flash", and 30 minutes of drunken snoring. (This being opposed by Bill Wyman's claim that he came up with the riff, and is uncredited for it.)

Either way, Keith wouldn't have to worry too much about missing such stuff if he had one of those cables.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's excellent, I'm really happy you're taking to it and enjoying it.

The danger, of course, is in keeping it up long term. I have a few tools to do that.

It so happens, for example, that my wife things the guitar just looks cool, and is happy if I keep it in the living room. So, it will be staring me in the face most evenings.

Technically, the riff I gave for Smoke on the Water is sloppy to play it on one string. As you learn where the notes are, and why the 5th fret is important (hint: subtract 5 and move to the next skinnier string).

Okay, so, let me see if i get the concept.

What you told me is

Code:
String 1:  2, 5, 7.  2, 5, 8, 7.  2, 5, 7, 5, 2

But it could be played:

Code:
String 1:  2, 5, -. 2, 5, -, -. 2, 5, -, 5, 2.
String 2:  -, -, 2. -, -, 3, 2. -, -, 2, -, -.

Not that it would be convenient for the hand, necessarily, but that'd be the idea? Transpose the higher fret on the low string to the lower fret on the next higher string.

You could even transpose that String 1, 5th fret to a String 2, open, yes? Cluster the whole thing down at the head, with a 2, and an open, 2, 3.

This would also be a way to check relative tuning, if you have a good ear, by checking that the fretted lower string matches the open higher string. So, you might not be perfectly in tune, but at least the whole thing would be off by the same amount.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That is one of those things that is exceedingly clever of the person who thought of it, and then bleedingly obvious once you've seen it. I hope the person who thought of that earns some good money off it.

I am reminded of a story about the Rolling Stones. Keith Richards was drunk in the studio after everyone left. Next morning, he found a reel on the tape deck that had the basic riff for "Jumpin' Jack Flash", and 30 minutes of drunken snoring. (This being opposed by Bill Wyman's claim that he came up with the riff, and is uncredited for it.)

Either way, Keith wouldn't have to worry too much about missing such stuff if he had one of those cables.

Some similar tales have been told of how Johnny Marr came up with the riff for "How soon is now?"

[video=youtube;hnpILIIo9ek]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnpILIIo9ek&sns=em[/video]

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
The danger, of course, is in keeping it up long term. I have a few tools to do that.

It so happens, for example, that my wife things the guitar just looks cool, and is happy if I keep it in the living room. So, it will be staring me in the face most evenings.

Okay, so, let me see if i get the concept.

What you told me is

Code:
String 1:  2, 5, 7.  2, 5, 8, 7.  2, 5, 7, 5, 2

But it could be played:

Code:
String 1:  2, 5, -. 2, 5, -, -. 2, 5, -, 5, 2.
String 2:  -, -, 2. -, -, 3, 2. -, -, 2, -, -.

Not that it would be convenient for the hand, necessarily, but that'd be the idea? Transpose the higher fret on the low string to the lower fret on the next higher string.

You could even transpose that String 1, 5th fret to a String 2, open, yes? Cluster the whole thing down at the head, with a 2, and an open, 2, 3.

This would also be a way to check relative tuning, if you have a good ear, by checking that the fretted lower string matches the open higher string. So, you might not be perfectly in tune, but at least the whole thing would be off by the same amount.

You're getting the idea. You've also clued in on how guitarists can tune a guitar without a tuner. When you know the next higher string is equal to the 5th fret of his predecessor, (5th on E = A), then you tune the 2 strings so they match. This is also how you check if your guitar is actually tuned correctly (remember intonation...)

Soon you should be reading up on Guitar Tab, but to give a quick example using the Smoke on the Water Riff:

Code:
6-------------------------------
5-------------------------------
4-------------------------------
3-------------------------------
2 -----0-2---0-3-2---0-2-0-2-
1 ---2-----2--------2----------

Hopefully I layed it out right and got the notes right, but this is the formal way to display how to play a riff. Very close to what you came up with. The 0 means play the string open (unfretted).

String 1 = E (the big fat string on the top)
string 2 = A
string 3 = D
string 4 = G
string 5 = B
string 6 = E

Another core lesson, which will eventually lead to music theory:
remember how that practice riff has you playing all 4 fingers on each string?
And how the 5th fret = the open note of the next higher string?

If you go all the way back to the list of the "notes", you'll see that the B is NOT 5 frets (half-steps) from G, it is 4. B breaks the rules. I suspect it is because if they made it C (because there's not B#), then the next string would be E#, and the point is to use whole notes.

this isn't rocket surgery, but I don't want to overload your brain with more stuff than you need. You are going to encounter these factoids later.

The key points:
learn how to read Guitar Tab (it's easier to share riffs and most examples online are Tab)
keep practicing that practice Riff
do that riff forwards and backwards (1234, 4321)
practice playing the riff evenly, even while changing strings
start learning some of the CAGED chords

The About lessons will get you to doing the blues scale which is a subset of that practice riff.

I will also give you Iron Man, because it rocks, and because you wife will think you are a prodigy if you learn a new song riff every day:

Code:
6) ------------------------------------------------
5) ------------------------------------------------
4) ------------------------------------------------
3) ------------------------------------------------
2) ------------------------------------------------
1) -2--5--5-7-7--9-10-9-10-9-10-7--7-5-5-2-

Notice how I used extra dashes to reflect shorter/longer notes. Also, I might not have done the right quantity of 9-10 repeats. practice it out to get the feel for it and fix it. or google up some Tab :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Did my practice tonight.

GuitarTuna - so far, a good tool for tuning. Having tuned the instrument, we'll see if it holds tune for tomorrow or not...

Ran through my scales 5 times - so, is it supposed to be noticeably easier even the second day, or am I fooling myself? I was only running them forwards - I'll start with running them backwards as well tomorrow.

Found it *much* easier to do the riff using two strings instead of one.

Started getting my fingers familiar with G,C, and D major chords. Still very awkward. So many strings and places for fingers to be. Will see how they are tomorrow.

Janx

Hero
Did my practice tonight.

GuitarTuna - so far, a good tool for tuning. Having tuned the instrument, we'll see if it holds tune for tomorrow or not...

Ran through my scales 5 times - so, is it supposed to be noticeably easier even the second day, or am I fooling myself? I was only running them forwards - I'll start with running them backwards as well tomorrow.

Found it *much* easier to do the riff using two strings instead of one.

Started getting my fingers familiar with G,C, and D major chords. Still very awkward. So many strings and places for fingers to be. Will see how they are tomorrow.

Good job.

You've got the practice riff,2 song riffs and some chords. That's actually probably a weeks worth of material to work on so you get muscle memory and stuff.

unless you got fumble-fingers, the practice does get easier. I don't know if its miraculously overnight or not, but the exercise wasn't meant to be hard, just functional.

Keep up the good work.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As you practice, you'll notice that many chords share a common or similar shape.* These fact has been exploited by many guitarists throughout the ages- George Lynch (of Dokken) has often talked about playing "in shapes".

Because of this, anytime I learn a new chord, I also experiment to see if that shape works anywhere else. As a result, I may not know right away what a certain shaped chord at a certain position is called, but I know it exists. I know what it sounds like. It is a bit unstructured, but IMHO, it does facilitate understanding the fretboard.

* this is especially true of what are called barre chords. If you haven't seen that term before, that is when one finger- usually the index finger- frets all (or most) strings across the neck and other fingers fret other strings. As long as you maintain the same chord shape, you will be forming chords at any position on the neck.

Here's a non-exhaustive chart for E Standard Tuning

Barre+Chords1.jpg

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
another handy thing about these shapes that Danny's chord chart illustrates, is that they are moveable.

as with the barre chords, or scales (the Blues Scale or the "everything" scale I gave you), they have an anchor point that you can set at any fret position on the neck, and then play the rest. basically transposing it to a different key/starting note. For scales, that first note is called the Root.

Once you start looking at stuff as being anchored at a starting position, and what you play is relative to that, then changing the key is as simple as moving that anchor point to somewhere else, and playing the same pattern relative to that anchor point.

That's why, if the Smoke on the Water riff I gave you is in the wrong key, it's easy enough to fix...

When you're further along, I can show how this concept helps understand chord progressions.

Remove ads