Critical Hit House Rule (and some thoughts on hit points and healing)

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
So I've been kind of going back and forth with the new healing rules. Originally I was thinking that the healing was too much. And for many campaigns it might be. But I came to the conclusion that whatever level of healing that wasn't 'too much' just set a new level of standard hit points. For example, let's say that you decide a long rest heals 1/2 max hit points. OK, so the first day of the adventure the PCs have a bunch of bonus hit points. Otherwise, you've essentially just redesigned the character classes with 1/2 the hp.

So, maximum hit points is the new 'standard' and the PCs start each day fresh. I can come to terms with that. But next I had an issue with the party stopping everything and saying, 'we take a short rest' after every combat. To say that they just find a place to heal for an hour all the time was annoying. So my first reaction was to limit them to 1 short rest every 4 or 6 hours. But that's just as contrived. Then I realized that what I was really annoyed with was the intrusion of the rules on the story. Combat - rest for an hour - wander for a little bit - combat - rest for an hour - ran out of hit dice? Time for a long rest.

So I shortened a short rest to at least 10 minutes. I was also going to change the name to Recover, but decided there wasn't much point. Instead, the assumption is that after every combat the characters will take a few minutes to catch their breath, tend to their wounds, and (in game terms) recover hit points. This makes sense if hit points represent a mix of health, endurance, and skill in combat. I've even added additional healing with healing kits so the Hit Dice last a little longer and the adventuring day can revolve around, well, a day instead of how many hit points the party has.

I've used (and designed) several wound and vitality systems in the past, and it sounds like there will be an option in the DMG. Even Lost Mine of Phandelver has NPCs who are injured. One states he's too injured to help the characters, and the implication is that the PCs can't just cast a healing spell and have him come along.

Enter the critical hit, and injuries. Here's what I've come up with and it seems to be working fairly well. More importantly it uses existing mechanics and retains the abstract nature of D&D combat and hit points. Anything that adds additional randomness to combat will impact the PCs more than the monsters. But that's the purpose of these rules, to introduce more serious results from combat that have a more lasting effect than loss of hit points.

For a critical hit you deal double damage, as noted in the PHB.
In addition, the target makes a Constitution save (DC 8 + your attack bonus) or suffers an injury.

An injury imposes one level of exhaustion. Multiple injuries impose additional levels. To recover from an injury, after a Long Rest you make a death save. You need to make 3 nonconsecutive successful saves to regain one level, so a minimum of 3 days. If you get 3 failures first, it worsens by one level.

You can heal an injury with a cure wounds spell cast as a 6th level spell, or a heal spell.

If you'd like, if the injury worsens to a level 6 exhaustion (0 hit points and dying), then after recovery you suffer some permanent effect (such as the loss of a Constitution point, a limp and reduction in speed by 5, or whatever the DM and player come up with as appropriate for the character and the story).​

Just for fun we've also added some additional effects based on the weapon type if the target's Con save is a critical fail:
For a bludgeoning attack, the target is knocked Unconscious. (Death save each round, 3 successes means you're conscious, failures mean nothing).

For a slashing attack, at the beginning of each turn the target must make a CON save (DC 10 + your attack bonus) or roll additional damage for bleeding. A successful save, or taking an action to apply a healing kit or any kind of magical healing stanches the bleeding.

For a piercing attack, the target is stunned; at the beginning of each turn the target must make a CON save (DC 10 + your attack bonus). A successful save, or taking an action to apply a healing kit or any kind of magical healing ends the condition.

We originally eliminated the double damage, but found that it actually made criticals too weak. The problem is that the exhaustion penalties didn't really impact the monsters much because they didn't live long enough for it to make a difference. On the other hand, while the characters haven't suffered an injury yet, knowing the risk has really made combat more exciting.

If we get to the point where they seem to be too much of an issue, then I might make only one or two death saves reduce an injury, or I might allow advantage on the death save if a 3rd level healing spell or lesser restoration is cast on the character just prior to the death save.

If a character is suffering from exhaustion, and suffers an injury, the effects stack. But the exhaustion is recovered separately from the injuries. So the exhaustion itself is reduced by one level each Long Rest regardless of whether the effects of the injury is.

I have a minor concern that since there are only 6 levels of exhaustion that as we get to higher levels that there may be more criticals against the PCs. Of course they'll have access to better healing as well. But I might opt to treat each injury independently. In that case, instead of a new injury increasing the level of exhaustion, it has its own measure. If you have 3 injuries with a level one exhaustion, you'd have to heal all three to eliminate the effects. I thought about rolling a d6 to determine the severity of each injury, and if we switch to this variant we may try the potential of more severe injuries from each hit.

Another alternative is to give them a CON save during the Short Rest immediately following the combat to escape the injury altogether. We'll just have to see. So far the PCs haven't suffered their first injury. If they start to occur too frequently then we'll tweak it a bit more.

I'm curious as to what others think, and if you're using anything different.

Randy

I've also been pondering using the exhaustion table for injuries, though I hadn't gotten as far as you have. It just makes sense to me.

Another possible or additional approach: I seem to recall that half-hit-points is where the assumption gets made that damage is actually serious. Perhaps a long rest can restore you to full only so long as you're not 'bloodied', as 4e used to call it. Otherwise it just gives you hit dice back.

Or perhaps when you dip below half-hit-points, your hit point maximum is reduced by the same amount until some extra healing step is taken?

LandOfConfusion

First Post
This is a fantastic idea. One (of many) thing that bothers me about D&D is the hit point system and how it is an all or nothing system. Your character goes from fully functional at 1 HP to helpless at 0 HP. Furthermore once dropped to 0 HP or lower they can be healed up to 1 measly hit point and be ready to take on the world again. Of course I understand this is a game, but this system was fine when I was 13 years old. Now that I am considerably older I'd like a little more realism in my games. Many of the "modern" RPG systems have some kind of penalty for being wounded. Your system makes it simple to apply a penalty for suffering grievous wounds in D&D.

I think I would added gaining an exhaustion level anytime a character is dropped below 0 HP. This in effect would make the Hit Point system more like a "modern" system; applying penalties for accrued wounds.

Also I think I am going to remove the healing all hit points for a long rest rule. I like your idea of a short rest being 10 minutes. Players can use hit dice to heal up during a short rest. During a long rest they will regain spent hit dice, but no hit points. So, during a long rest a character can spend hit dice and then regain them at the end of the long rest, but they won't directly gain hit points because of a long rest. Also have hit dice replenish after a long rest that has occurred at least 24 hours after the last long rest taken by the party. This is a little cumbersome, but it reduces the, "Hey we are out of hit dice. Let's rest!" problem.

I would just like to capture the thrill of adventure. Adventuring should be dangerous. The players should have to manage their resources. If they automatically gain all the hit HP after a long rest the choice between drinking a healing potion late in the day or saving it for later in the adventure becomes a little easier.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Great minds think alike - I added a level of exhaustion after reaching 0 hit points. Cheating death is tiring.

I originally planned on removing the full hit point restore from a long rest, but decided against it. I figured that with injuries and such that it wasn't really worth the trouble. Plus I've been finding that they get pretty beat up at each combat anyway, even if they don't suffer a critical. So they don't last long.

Randy

LandOfConfusion

First Post
Excellent. Yeah I haven't actually had a chance to run 5E yet. I am busily (actually procrastinatingly) creating my game world. So, I don't have any experience with how beat up characters actually get. I have been basing my analysis on running 3.5. I never played 4E. Anyway even the inclusion of exhaustion level was a cool addition to the rules for me. I didn't even think to use them for effects from critical hits until I saw this thread. Again this simple injury system really helped me overcome my distaste for the hit point system. I hope to be running games in a month or so. I'll post results when we try this system out.

Murkmoldiev

First Post
I also HATE the healed back to one Hp - PC is fully rocking.
Often in my game the players have been bashed to Negatives because of stupid decisions. This cannot be rewarded. Here is my system

COMING BACK FROM THE DEATH EXPERIENCE

When a character recovers from having under 0 hit points, that character is exhausted To a certain level depending on how far down he went. only the Heal 5th or up spell or similar powerful magicks, will wipe this out. This repairs at over a peroid of days or a week.

The Severity is based on how far below 0 they went.

1. The character has disadvantage on attacks and checks and saves and cannot maintain concentration on spells.

2. Speed reduced to half and DC 10 Con check to cast a spell. Hp 3/4 Max

3. Speed 1/4 max Hp max reduced to half. 3 d 20 disadvantage.

4 Speed 0 Max Hp reduced to 1/4 and above.

Also, all memorized Arcane, spells are lost for a Wizard.

Murkmoldiev

First Post
I use this chart , but the critical has to be confirmed - otherwise its just regular double damage.

CONFIRMED CRITICAL CHART
Compiled by Murkmoldiev.

A Fighter of level 5+ adds 1d3 to the roll on chart one.

Any time a piece of armor saves you from an effect it is destroyed.

On a confirmed crit - Roll a d 12 .

If crit is a comfirmed on a Natural 20 use chart #3.

Chart ONE

1 Power of the blow knocks opponent prone and back 5 ft.

2 Power of the blow causes opponent to fumble- Roll on fumble chart.

3. Your blow painfully hacks into foes leg. Your foe is knocked to the ground and unable to stand due to agony for 1 -10 rounds. Movement halved due to limping until healing received.

4 Your blow opens a painful wound in your opponents shield arm.( Shield will protect reducing damage to totally normal but destroying it. ) Anything held in hand is dropped and arm is incapacitated Until healing received.

5 Your blow opens a deep wound in your opponent’s weapon arm. Anything held in hand is dropped and arm is incapacitated Until healing received..

6 Hard hit - Weapon does its damage dice again on final damage count.

7 Powerful Hit - Add the unmodified maximum weapon damage as extra damage on final damage count

8 Brutal Hit- roll modified damage again and add, extra Damage on final damage count.

9. Shattering blow - You destroy enemy’s weapon or shield and drive him prone with your smash. Extra Multiple.

10- 12 Roll on Chart 2.

------------------------
CHART 2

1 If blow exceeds half total hit points it destroys hand at the wrist ( Left / Right ) and blood gushes from the wound at the rate of 1d6 damage per round until stanched. Anything held in the hand is dropped and victim must make a Con save DC 10 each round or fall unconscious. Shield protects or Heavy Gauntlets will protect ( but is destroyed ).
If the blow does not do over half the character HP then treat as arm hit as 4. Damage is EXTRA MULTIPLE.

2 If blow exceeds half total hit points it destroys your opponents arm at the elbow and blood gushes at the rate of 2d6 per round until stanched. Anything held in the hand is dropped and your opponent must make a Con save DC 10 each round or fall unconscious.Shield protects Left arm if one is worn. If the blow does not do over half the character HP then treat as arm hit as 4. EXTRA MULTIPLE

3 If blow exceeds half total hit points it destroys foot at the ankle. Blood gushes from the stump wound at 1d6 per round till stanched. Knocked to the ground and your opponent must make a Con save DC 10each round or fall unconscious. If the blow does not do over half the character HP then treat as leg hit on first chart. EXTRA MULTIPLE.

4 . If blow exceeds half total hit points it destroys leg at the knee. Blood gushes from the stump wound at 2d6 per round till stanched. Knocked to the ground and your opponent must make a Con save DC 10 each round or fall unconscious. If the blow does not do over half the character HP then treat as leg hit on first chart. EXTRA MULTIPLE

5. If blow exceeds half total hit points it destroys foes leg at the hip. Knocked to the ground as blood showers the area at the rate of 3d6 per round till stanched. Knocked to the ground and your opponent must make a Con save DC 10 each round or fall unconscious. If the blow does not do over half the character HP then treat as leg hit on chart 4. EXTRA MULTIPLE

6 . Massive Chest Chop Foe exhausted ( Level 2 ) from Lung Bash till back on full HP and had a rest.. EXTRA MULTIPLE

7. Eye removed- stunned for one round - blinded in one eye. Visored helm protects. EM

8. Ear removed - Stunned for one round -deafened in one ear Helm protects. EM

9. Your attack lifts foe into air 1d10 feet then to slams them to the ground. They are stunnedfor 1-3 rounds. EXTRA MULTIPLE

10- 12 Roll on Chart 3

------------------------
Chart 3.

1. Your strike smashes foes nose stunning him for 1- 3 rounds and blinding him for 1-3 rounds. Full helm protects against this.EM

2. Your blow strikes foes forehead also causes them to fall to the ground and drop any hand held items Foe is stunned for 1-3 rounds. Helmet protects against this.EM

3. Your blow lands on side of face cracking foes jawbone. Foe is knocked down and stunned for 1 round. Foe must make Con save DC 15 or be knocked unconscious. Speech impossible till healed. Full helm protects against this. EM

4. Exceptional blow- weapon passes deep into body, Con save DC 15 or stunned 1-3 rounds. Blood loss 1d6 hp round. Breast Plate protects. EM

5. Throat slash - Muted. Bleeding 1d6 hp round. Med armor Gorget protects. EM

6. Throat cut -Muted - Two extra multiples. Bleeding 2d6 hp round. EM Heavy Armor Gorget Protects.

7. Hideous Blow - Weapon Passes through body Con save DC 15 or stunned 1-3 rounds. Two Extra Multiples .Bleeding 2d6 hp round. Plate Protects.

8. Your attack causes a sickening crack against side of foes head. Foes eyes stare out in different directions right before foe drops. Foe is stunned for 1-12 rounds, foe must make Con save DC 20 or be knocked unconscious. Full helm protects against this. Two Extra Multiples

9.Superb spinning jumping screamed blow drives foe to the ground in a twisted heap and does three multiples.

10 - 12 SUPER DOOPER HIT. Chart 4.

Roll 1d6.

1. Your blow Cleaves foe in Twain. Your evil grimace causes all foes within 30ft to become frightened till end of combat.

2. Your blow pierces foes heart and drives through to the other side. Foe drops dead in 1d3 seconds. Your evil grimace causes all foes within 30ft to become frightened till end of combat.

3. Devastating hit to the head, your opponent staggers back for 1d6 yards and falls dead. Thrashes once. Your powerful slam fills you with hope. Any exhaustion or physical condition effects you suffer is removed and your burst of heroism shakes off some damage. You Heal 50% of your HP instantly and prior good effects.

4. Your attack drives through foes eye and into brain, Foe screams but dies instantly.
Your skill and confidence gains you an action surge! And prior effects.

5. With a cry of “There can be only one.” You behead the enemy. Foes head flies off in random direction, landing 1d20 feet away. Option to kick head if it flies off near enough. You receive all the good effects of 1-4

6. Wrath of the Gods of War, Attacker is filled with the wrath. And after chopping the foe down and flinging the body aside like a headless rag doll, he gets an immediate free move action and an Immediate free attack with advantage or action with a + 20 to the roll. As well as a Hero Point and all other 5 effects.

LandOfConfusion

First Post
@Murkmoldiev - Wow you're pretty hardcore. :) That's a pretty cool critical effects chart. That must make for some suspenseful and hilarious dice rolling. In a way it reminds me of the critical charts in Dark Heresy only your's goes deeper with the possibility of continued rolls. While this may be a little more than I'd be comfortable using, how does it work out for you? Does it take a long time to sort out critical hits? By the end of the night does everyone still get excited using the charts? I am becoming more of a fan of extra effects based on a critical hit. For D&D I'd probably prefer a simpler system like Ilbranteloth's where it is based on weapon type, but a critical effect chart does open possibilities for some fun and exciting rolls.

On a tangent I am kind of hoping they add a lot of optional rules in the DMG. I liked the skill system in 3.5, if only to allow for more character customization. My group likes to personalize their characters as much as they can. Having a decent amount of skills to pick from and assigning skill levels to those skills added a nice bit of customization for us to tinker with.

Quartz

Hero
That chart reminds me of Rolemaster. :)

I've yet to play 5E, but I don't actually like criticals at low levels. One of my 3E house rules was that of weapons only masterwork weapons could critical.

Murkmoldiev

First Post
Rolemaster was an inspiration for this and my Elemental critical hit chart which I will post in the next reply.

As for how it works - It works great ( Much better now that someone with a keen rapier still only crits on a 20 ) .

It can get a little deadly , as the monsters use it as well but criticals are not confirmed all the time so it does make it rare. We are talking about one crit per 5 combats pretty much. Sometimes a whole game will go by without a roll on the chart and of course sometimes there will 3 in one fight... The escalating chances make the real bad ones rare.

I do have a BALANCING FACTOR which prevents a PC getting critted by a goblin and dieing...

Its called the NOOOO ! Just like in a movie where a character may scream NOOOOO ! And try to save himeself or someone --- The NOOOOOOOOOOO !

Once per game session , a player is allowed to use a NO.
This allows a reroll of a save or attack or a check with 3 d 20 advantage. Or can be used to avoid something horrible like a crit or oven push a friend out of the way of a death blow by rolling a 7 or higher on a D20 .
This no may be saved up from session to session.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases