Gaming through denial

Greenfield

Adventurer
Answers in no particular order:

TranceJeremy: The player is an odd hopscotch of "familiar with 3X". Knows a lot of tricks and clever builds, knows obscure rules, but show surprising gaps in that knowledge. Often convenient gaps, but sometimes just plain doesn't know things. For example, challenegd the Spiked chain, demanding to know if that was from an approved source.

The gender thing was the most recent and blatant example. The trend is the problem. I let the "I have lighter armor" thing go, as we had just begun the adventure and the party had had time to equip in town. I allowed that the PC could have anticipated a problem that the player didn't. The "I'm not wearing armor" thing I didn't let pass. But there have been other issues where the player may have actually believed that he said things that never left his lips, or he's blatantly lying and more or less daring someone to make an issue of it. Normally I'd be happy to make the issue, but I hate to tie up the game, session after session dealing with it.

DannyAlcatraz: I do say "no" when I'm DM (we pass the duty around), and I play "no" when I'm not. The player goes off, insisting that I'm wrong, that my PC can't tell his female character isn't male. (BTW: There's a medical reason girls "throw like a girl" and "run like a girl". It has to do with hip joints and the presence of a birth canal requiring a wider pelvic ring, among other things.)

I asked him once for a disguise check, when his female character was bunking with the male crew of the ship. The result was a 12, which according to RAW sets the target number of someone to Spot/Observe that something's wrong. That was when I had to ask how many ranks of Disguise she had. Even with the -5 Distracted penalty on the Spot/Perception check, 12 was hardly a safe number. And that's ignoring the RAW requirement of a 30.

Herobizkit: That would be the one. Knows obscure rules well enough to take advantage of them, but doesn't know them enough to know why he can't.

TheJester: Because of the way we run our game, everybody gets a chance to be a player in the game. We pass the DM hat around. I wrote and DMd our last adventure, but right now I'm a player. Personally, I'd humor the person and call her a "him". My character isn't that polite, a point I made before I ever know about this masquerade. My Ranger is a hard drinking lout without a diplomatic or polite bone in his body.

Starfox: First, we're playing in a semi-historical setting, rather than an enlightened 21st century one. Women in leadership or combat roles is part of the game, so we play an "equal rights" version of the age, but the relatively recent acceptance of "alternate sexual behaviors" probably isn't going to translate well. Most would think that it calls for a Remove Curse or whatever gets used to cure insanity in your game world.

I have no problem with the player exploring the transgender thing. Last campaign, the player would often declare, "My character has a wand in his hand", referring to one of several Eternal Wants h e owned. And somehow it always turned out to have been the one that was needed when trouble started, whether it was Mage Armor or Alter Self or Invisibility or whatever else. And he got offended when I, as DM, had the nerve to ask, "Which wand is that?" to his declaration. He commonly tries to make retroactive claims about action and preparation. Or to put it more succinctly, he cheats, and gets pissed when we notice.

Second, thanks for the laugh.

Shiroken: I'm not the DM all the time, and I really don't want to spend my game session being his adult supervision. It's not that I'm afraid of being disliked for playing the spoiler, it just takes me away from my fun at the table. I mean, what kind of person actually enjoys spending their game time preparing to pounce on another player? I don't like playing with that person, and I sure as hell don't want to *be* that person.

Steeldragons: Not only was a "bathing suit" not specified, the character enjoyed the "help" of a man in her bathing. I could be more explicit but forum rules discourage that sort of detail.

The player insists that he had declared that this was in a private place. One of those things that he somehow managed to say without he DM or anyone else ever hearing. Normally I might have even given it, retroactively, because no woman is seriously going to strip down and cavort like that in public unless she's very drunk or very exhibitionist. In this case though, there was no "private place" in the middle of the Fey Court, and the Unseelie are just debauched enough not to care about participating in such a display. Also, at the time I specifically pointed out that this "hot bath" required undressing, and that several men offered that "help". There was absolutely no room for doubt about there being witnesses, no possibility that it was private.

Yet the player now insists that it was, and that nobody in the group knows that she's not a man.

Hence my description, "Gaming through denial".

And, to be clear, the player lied about having bought a rank in the skill. The character has *HALF* a rank in the skill, a condition allowed under the rules for acquiring skills, but for which there are no rules for play. All we have is the general, "Halves round down" rule. Being reasonable, I might say tht it's enough to allow use of a "trained only" skill with no actual bonus, although the RAW says "You must have at least one rank in the skill.

A correction on myself: Looking at the skill text it says that "Disguising as a different gender" carries a -2 penalty, not a "30 minimum". 30 may apply to disguising gender in a bath or similar situation.

It should be observed that while the party has been invited to, or paid for the use of public bath houses, this PC has always made it clear that he/she would like a private bath. It was my character's offer to watch the door for her that set off our most recent argument on the issue.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Besides, from the original post, we can see that the disguise issue is just one example of a pattern of play.

Yeah. I would be fine with letting a female character dress as a male, maybe just for one point in disguise. It's not game-affecting really to let a character to affect a single disguise as a different gender, nor terribly unrealistic to make learning one specific disguise much easier then learning the general art of disguise. The whole Unseelie thing is weird and frustrating. It's something that in many groups, it would be easy to let go, though. (Which is not a recommendation about what to do in the OP's campaign; it's very socially complex and would require a lot more detail then you can probably get into here for me to really understand what was going on.)

(Edit: To expand a little bit, without the Unseelie incident, the female dressing as a male is hardly more improbable then many D&D character stories. If you've got a kitsune monk noble in the west or half-orc wandering around civilized lands, why stress about the details of the crossdressing female? That of course varies depending on the style of the game, but just letting someone have it seems most fun to me in most cases.)

But the armor stuff? That's problematic in most any style of game, and as it seems to be part of a larger problem, I'm afraid that "It's becoming impossible to play with" may be entirely right.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
However you cut it, the player in question is not playing by the same rules as everyone else at the table. This maybe OK if you're introducing young children to gaming, but not for adults.

You claim- honestly, I believe- you don't want to play gotcha or be in the role of adult supervision. But you're also here complaining about the player's playstyle. Either way, you're unhappy.

That's why I emphasized the use of the impartial dice. Dice don't care who says what; who wins or loses. You're not being the heavy, you're not playing gotcha. The dice are saying the PC simply didn't succeed.

Oryan77

Adventurer
What a nightmare of a player. Guys like that make it hard for others to really absorb themselves into the game world and their characters. This sort of thing just ruins immersion.

I personally wouldn't tolerate it and he would get the boot if it kept happening. I won't make other players (or me as a DM) suffer from some guys disruptive behavior. It's unfair to everyone else.

You've already explained all of this to him. I say, explain it one last time and let him know that from now on, you will be requiring disguise rolls at any time in the game when it might be needed in order to properly roleplay NPCs. Tell him that he failed his disguise check long ago vs the other players. They don't believe she's a guy. If he insists that they do, tell him that if that is how the game works now, then he now believes that the other PCs are his masters and he's afraid that if he doesn't do what they say, they'll murder him. Sure, they didn't roll any bluff or intimidate checks vs his sense motive, but that should be ok according to his use of the skill rules, right?

As for everything else, if the entire group didn't hear him declare his action, it didn't happen. It's that simple. If that bothers him, tell him to speak up at all times so he doesn't screw himself over. My players know that if they don't have items written on their PC sheet or on their notes, they don't have it. And they know that the item has to be named exactly as I gave it, or close enough that we both know what it was supposed to be. Players hate when they found a magic item, but can't prove to me that they found it (or bought it) because they forgot to write it down. If I remember them buying it or finding it, I'll give them a break. But if they found a "wand" that hasn't been identified yet and they can't tell me where they found it, and I can't match it up with which wand it is in my notes, they just lost that wand. They start taking better notes real fast once this happens once or twice.

I had a player that kept pulling out scrolls of Fly at 4th level. Even the other players were questioning him on how many he actually had. That's right around when I implemented the rule of "if I don't see it written down and remember you getting it, you don't have it".

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
To be 100% clear, there are RPG systems which have a more seat-of-the-pants style in which some of what you describe would not only be permissible but possibly even expected. But D&D isn't one of them, and what I'm reading of the one's behavior isn't fair to the other players.

TheJester: Because of the way we run our game, everybody gets a chance to be a player in the game. We pass the DM hat around. I wrote and DMd our last adventure, but right now I'm a player. Personally, I'd humor the person and call her a "him". My character isn't that polite, a point I made before I ever know about this masquerade. My Ranger is a hard drinking lout without a diplomatic or polite bone in his body.

I had a badly-behaving player in my group for some time, in a similar situation (multiple DMs). We don't have "rules" for booting people or anything like that. I declared that I would not run games for him. Said player can leave the table when you're running, and maybe come back when you're not. (In my case, the player never came back.)

I'd have words with the player to either change his conduct or leave.

This. I'll normally give players like this a little bit of leeway, but it sounds like he's already used more than his fair share of chances up.

Problem gamers are generally not worth the effort to keep them in the group.

Celebrim

Legend
Seriously? Still with this same player?

He's got to go. He refuses to play the game; he has to go. You've been more than accommodating. You have been patient and you have tried to make space for him to engage socially. He's now refusing to interact in a socially functional manner. He is dictating outcomes to the GM rather than making propositions and he is quarrelling and obstinate. He habitually metagames and makes retroactive declarations of intent and fictional positioning to his own advantage. He appears to have no understanding at all how behave in a social situation and he is refusing to share the imagined world or to interact with it through the agreed upon rules.

He has to go. It's not fair to you and not fair to the other players.

Last edited:

Remove ads