D&D 5E Highest DPR Build Yet?

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Beaten by the sharpshooter+crossbow expertise combo in a real game or for melee polearm mastery+ great weapon master. An archer can get away with using sharpshooter easier than a elee PC who needs someone else in the party to offset the -5 to hit part and that means someone who can cast bless or provide advantage which normally means Faerie Fire, Greater Invisibility, Gold Person, Foresight, an Avenging Paladin, or someone using the Shield Master Feat to knock NPCs prone.

The Barbarian is also one of the weaker classes, melee overall is also semi weak in a real game and DPR isn't actually that good. Building your party around having a DPR death machine fighter and helping him achieve that won't matter that much if he gets nailed by hold person and now the whole party is in trouble.

This is an old thread as well but the DPR builds were figured out very early in this game on the WoTC boards. The Eldritch Blast abuse was week 1 or 2 of the PHB launch, slightly longer for people to figure out how good Bless, advantage and GWM/Sharpshooter were.

The main problem with the melee DPR builds is that they are melee and strength based. At ranged they are reduced to throwing a single spear for 1d6+strength damage more or less. A gish who can use eldritch blast, an archer or dex based PC or a Paladin (any) in the part is more useful than a DPR machine along with a PC using the shield master feat.
Could you provide a link please?

Zardnaar

Legend
Could you provide a link please?

Not really the information would be long buried. The best I can do is provide this link.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/player-help/threads/4138726

Which is about the closest thing 5E seems to have of the old 3E/4E char op boards. The designers also indicated that Polarm Master+spamming eldritch blast should not be allowed although it is RAW it is regarded as semi illegal/cheesy and a few DMs will not allow that combo to work.

Minsc

Explorer
Its just a nova build that wiull run out of gas fast. I prefer DPR/versatility myself over one trick ponies.

Look at it compared to a single classed Paladin: more attacks per round, and both will "run out of gas fast" since the power of the class lies in both characters smiling away.

Minsc

Explorer
When I look at that Sorcerer17/Warlock 3 build, I'm very impressed. Since the Polearm mastery combo won't work with EB, going pact of the chain is very attractive. Going pact of the tome is nice too: get a CHA based Shillelagh in case you get stuck in melee. Plus, you can cast all Ritual spells.

I'm wondering if adding 2 levels of Fighter in there is worth it, for an Action Surge.

Anyway, I see mentioned a couple of times casting warlock spells at a higher level with sorcerer slots. But I don't think it works that way. Please confirm. TY.

Minsc

Explorer
Its just a nova build that wiull run out of gas fast. I prefer DPR/versatility myself over one trick ponies.

The tempest thing I think I would prefer a storm sorcerer or favoured soul:tempest domain.
I've been thinking about this build.

While I think it would work (worst case scenario is you've run out of spells... And then you're "just" a tank with a great AC and you're dealing 1d8 + STR every round), I think going to Paladin level 6 or 7 (Oath of the Ancients) and filling the rest of your levels with Sorcerer or Warlock levels would be extremely effective as well.

Last edited:

Remove ads