Starcrossed: A Ravenloft Webcomic (Discussion Thread)

NeoTiamat

First Post
Everyone knows Ravenloft, yes? Gothic horror, vampires, castles, all that good stuff.

Well there’s also a Ravenloft webcomic.

It's called Starcrossed: A Ravenloft Comic, and it's on both the Fraternity of Shadows fan-forum, and has its own site. The FoS forum also has a discussion thread (with Cast listing).

Now, I'm a fan of it (disclaimer: and a friend of the artist), but because the FoS fan fiction forum is about as lively as a headshotted zombie, I don't have anyone I can talk to about it. Which is why I'm here.

So what is Starcrossed? I’d call it a Dark Fantasy/Horror comic, set in the Ravenloft campaign. It’s not a gaming comic per-se (it’s all in-character, there’s no talk of levels or spell-slots), but the main crew definitely has a whiff of ‘PCs’ about them. It’s also an actual horror comic, in that there are some genuinely dark and frightening moments in it, though it’s less gore and more psychological horror. Though given that the main cast are borderline-PCs, there is humor and there is action in there, so it’s not unrelievedly bleak.

Why should you read it? Because good horror/dark webcomics are rare, and Ravenloft comics are really rare, and Starcrossed is a good one. It has pretty good art (you can see for yourself – it’s this black-and-white style heavy on shading) and very good storytelling, with the creator, Isabella, possessed of a genuine ear for dialogue and skill at characterization. The cast is memorable, likable, and believably complex, and it’s just fun to watch them interact. Here’s two of them from the Cast page:
marie.jpg

Marie Delacroix
Marie spent most of her youth working the hard life of the poor in Souragne. She managed to escape and make a better life for herself... until she made the dumb mistake of coming back. Despite this setback, Marie does her best to keep in good spirits: she prefers rum, but is willing to try anything else that seems interesting.​
gauvain.jpg

Elias Gauvain
A quiet, pale man who looks like he's in the dying throes of a heroin addiction. By all accounts, an accountant.​

And at 218 pages at the time of this post, there’s plenty of comic to read.

So! Go read it (please), and let me know what you think?

[Note, I'm not entirely sure this is the right forum for this, but I couldn't find one that seemed more appropriate -- if there is a preferable one, I would appreciate being pointed to it]

Remove ads