What feats are "missing"?

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
I've done a slightly tweaked version of Arcane Archer that allows for cantrip-imbued arrows.

ARCANE ARCHER
Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell, proficiency with the long bow or short bow.

As an action, you can imbue a spell into an arrow you are holding. You cast the spell as normal, but the spell effect does not occur until after the arrow is used in an attack. You can only imbue a spell that affects one creature or a spell that has an area such as a sphere, cloud, or cylinder. The arrow holds the spell effect until the end of your next long rest or until it is used in an attack that hits.

• If you cast a spell that affects one creature, the next time the imbued arrow hits a creature with an attack, the attack deals damage as normal, and then you resolve the spell’s effect against the target.
  • If you imbued a spell that has an area, the creature does not need to be hit for the spell to take effect. Instead, you resolve the spell’s effect from the space or creature you targeted. If the
  • arrow hits a creature, damage is dealt as normal.

Once you resolve the spell’s effect, the spell vanishes from the arrow

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Great idea, but it shouldn't be limited to bows: let it apply to any ranged weapon with the ammunition property (and so crossbows and slings too). Slings need some love.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Great idea, but it shouldn't be limited to bows: let it apply to any ranged weapon with the ammunition property (and so crossbows and slings too). Slings need some love.

Slings DEFINITELY need some love! My thinking in posting the slightly modified feat from the playtest was that the feat let players emulate the Arcane Archer prestige class. Also, feats seem pretty specific about applying to certain weapons and not others (i.e. Crossbow Expert).

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I've done a slightly tweaked version of Arcane Archer that allows for cantrip-imbued arrows.

ARCANE ARCHER
Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell, proficiency with the long bow or short bow.

As an action, you can imbue a spell into an arrow you are holding. You cast the spell as normal, but the spell effect does not occur until after the arrow is used in an attack. You can only imbue a spell that affects one creature or a spell that has an area such as a sphere, cloud, or cylinder. The arrow holds the spell effect until the end of your next long rest or until it is used in an attack that hits.

• If you cast a spell that affects one creature, the next time the imbued arrow hits a creature with an attack, the attack deals damage as normal, and then you resolve the spell’s effect against the target.
  • If you imbued a spell that has an area, the creature does not need to be hit for the spell to take effect. Instead, you resolve the spell’s effect from the space or creature you targeted. If the
  • arrow hits a creature, damage is dealt as normal.

Once you resolve the spell’s effect, the spell vanishes from the arrow

What keeps you from stockpiling dozens of arrows imbued with spells and unbalancing the spell slot economy?

Last edited:

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
What keeps you from stockpiling dozens of arrows imbued with spells and unbalancing the spell slot economy?

Hmmm... I guess that's why cantrips weren't included in the original feat. Other than that, you must expend spell slots and the arrows lose their enchantment at the end of your next long rest.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Slings DEFINITELY need some love! My thinking in posting the slightly modified feat from the playtest was that the feat let players emulate the Arcane Archer prestige class. Also, feats seem pretty specific about applying to certain weapons and not others (i.e. Crossbow Expert).

That's sort of my point: there are reasons for a non-crossbow user to get the crossbow expert feat. So should it be here:

ARCANE ARCHER
Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell of level 1 or above.

As an action, you can imbue a spell of level 1 or higher into an arrow, bolt, or sling bullet you are holding. You cast the spell as normal, but the spell effect does not occur until after the arrow is used in an attack. You can only imbue a spell that affects one creature or a spell that has an area such as a sphere, cloud, or cylinder. The piece of ammunition holds the spell effect until the end of your next long rest or until it is used in an attack that hits.

Suggested changes noted in bold: it's still most useful for archers, and then name can stay, but players who want to use a less effective weapon aren't punished further.

I'd also clarify whether the spell replaces the damage done by the ammunition or not. I imagine not, which would be a reason to argue the effect lasts until your next [short] rest.

Remove ads