D&D 5E What happend to Know Alignment and Detect EVIL OMG !

Murkmoldiev

First Post
I must have totally missed this up till now - but Know alignment is GONE and Detect Evil no longer detects evil ? Detect evil will now detect a good Fey but not an evil high priest of IUZ ??

I get why its being designed this way - all to often these spells would ruin the plot or the game.

But there was no warning for me. I just opened up my PHB and there it was !

Has anyone else been shocked by this ?
How will it affect our games ? I can see it being pretty good actually.

Your thoughts ?

GameDoc

Explorer
It was this way the NEXT playtest version and I think 4e's removal of alignment from any mechanical aspects of the game was predictive of this even before NEXT.

I imagine it's more of a surprise to anyone who wasn't involved in those versions.

I was glad to see it go starting with 4e. As the OP mentioned, it was always a potential plot-killer and I know more than one DM from 2e and 3e that either removed or nerfed the paladin ability for that very reason.

the Jester

Legend
Know alignment went away after 2e. To the best of my knowledge there was one monster that could do it; everyone else was limited to detect [alignment component] spells.

Even those vanished in 4e.

I do like what they've done with the alignment based spells in 5e; they're now more "protection from supernatural creatures" than protection from evil per se.

Grainger

Explorer
Yeah, alignment never made any sense to me. No-one (well, very, very few) people go around thinking "I am evil". To risk Godwinning the thread, even the Nazis didn't think they were evil. I can't get my head around a world in which a common spell definitely tells the world whether someone is "good" or "evil". It just isn't workable if it's to be at all a believable world.

And where do realpolitik and shades-of-grey storylines fit into this very simplistic framework?

Also, it's all so subjective. If I'm DMing a game, what happens if a player's Paladin does something that the player considers "good" and I consider "evil"? A big argument, probably. In my view, it's best not to go there, and just to accept that morality is all very much in the eye of the beholder.

TL;DR: Alignment is no longer an actual thing in the game world, and that's a good (not neutral or evil) thing.

rjfTrebor

Banned
Banned
did you want them to send you an Email or something prior to finalizing the spell list?

alignment has been removed as a mechanical element for the most part so it makes sense that the spells that used to rely on it would go away too.

Henrix

Explorer
Note that it is actually only in 3e that detect evil works on mundane evil creatures.

In AD&D2 it is stated explicitly in the spell description that normal evil beings are not detected.
The same is stated in the 1e DMG.

It did work on a high level evil priest, though.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I am so glad that this world-building PITA has at last been done away with :) It was easy to house rule and I mostly ignored it, but the feeling it engendered by it's very existence was always there, like a tooth that has recently been pulled.

Remove ads