[OOC] Pathfinder: Iron Gods

Hannerdyn

Explorer
Evandar Hane of Torch

I'm thinking a front-line type would help. I'm going with a ranger who will be built as a melee combatant.

Here's my background. @grtrtle, I've connected my character to yours. If there's anything I wrote that's not accurate or warps your concept in anyway, let me know. I'll be happy to work around it.

@Tailspinner, I've chosen two traits from the player's guide. If I should only have one from that source and one from another, let me know. I should have the completed character up in the next couple of days, but the background and concept are below.

Obviously the connections I've written don't preclude being able to form an investigative team or something similar, Evandar will simply have some extra baggage.

[sblock]
Evandar Hane of Torch

Young Evandar of Torch left promising work as a barrister in Torch ten months ago. His last act as a barrister was to complete the execution of his father’s will.

Evandar being Salvador’s only son and surviving relative (his mother left when he was a child for reasons unknown to Evandar), inherited a small amount of his father’s savings, overshadowing debt and trinkets for property.

Most of Evandar’s friends about Torch knew only that Evandar was leaving on a sabbatical. A trusted family friend, however – Khonnir Bane, was informed via carrier that his services as his legal council would no longer be secured. Instead, Evandar revealed to Khonnir that he would be searching for the people who he believed killed his father; the Technic League.

The League employed Evandar’s father Salvador on occasion to help them support land claims and property rights over various forms of technology – typically through underhanded (though legal) practices. Salvador was becoming more disenchanted with his work for the League, telling Evandar that they were devising ways to secure property without payment, wrenching land from farmers and ranchers in the area for purposes only known to the League itself. Salvador always knew that he was working for people with suspect morality, but the money had always been prompt and the work was near-constant. Prior to his death, Salvador decided to make a stand against the League and filed a complaint to the town councils in both Iadenveigh and Torch regarding their practices and demanding reform.

A mere week passed after those complaints were filed and Evandar’s father died of what was described to him by a priest of Erastil as a sudden heart attack, though the coincidence was striking for Evandar, one piece of evidence secured in his mind that the League was responsible: a black injection point, just behind his father’s ear. Small enough to be dismissed as a mere bruise, but strange enough to work on Evandar’s imagination.

Within days of Salvador’s death Evandar walked into the wilderness outside Torch. For ten months he has wandered, and now finds himself again near his old home.

Traits: Against the Technique League, Local Ties
Religion: Erastil
Party Connections: Evandar and Aja grew up together – Evandar’s father’s practice being near the church-home of Erastil in Torch. He’s always felt protective of her, though he knew she could handle herself well enough. Evandar considers Aja one of his closest friends and feels guilty for not telling her the truth about his decision to leave.
Race: Human
Class: Ranger
Profession: Barrister

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
I had this ready to go yesterday but then we were struck by more update downtime.

[sblock=Courtesy Code]The man waited outside of the study. He waited with some impatience and much annoyance, for his way was blocked by a brutish guardsman. A distant cousin; a very large not-distant-enough cousin. For all of the man's studies into clouding the minds of others, he dared not employ them here.

The man was tall, though not quite as tall as his present relation, with medium-length, coal black hair and a goatee, all neatly trimmed. He had a long face and sharp, angular features. And for anyone brave enough to meet his gaze, it was apparent his eyes were not the same, though evenly matched in their own way: one, a deep greenish-blue, and the other a deep blueish-green. He appeared to be in his early thirties.

The man wore a well-fitted long, red coat, lightly decorated with gold and black embroidery. It befitted his station as a son of the noble Henderthane family of Cheliax. The guardsman likewise wore a tabard in the family colours.

"This waiting is getting rather tiresome," commented the man in a rich, tenor-voice.

"Oh, you can go in whenever you like," replied the guardsman with a toothy grin. "I just wanted to see you squirm a bit."

The man rolled his eyes. What had he done to deserve being subjected to such immaturity? Members of this House all had important duties to attend to. Would that some of the lesser placed family members just appreciate their stations and stay out of the others way. He moved past the guard, knocked lightly twice on the door, and then opened it to enter the study.

The room beyond was about fifteen feet to a side, with the walls lined by bookshelves, a few tables, and one or two more exotic devices. It was grand enough, though more on account of its owner's position that on his flare for extravagence. The study was functional. That is, if you were a powerful practioner of the arcane from a noble house of Cheliax, it was functional.

Over an old but handsomely crafted wooden desk hunched an elderly man writing letters. He was dressed in fine white silk, fantastically embroidered in gold, black, and red in the same style as the younger man, but much more detailed and beautifully done. His long white hair was thinning, but he was by no means balding. His eyebrows were quite bushy, but he was otherwise clean shaven.

"Uncle," said the man.

"You are late, Olrich," said his elderly uncle.

"I-" the man began.

"Do not bore me with the details of your excuse," said his uncle, cutting him off. Raising a hand he indicated a chair on the other side of his desk. "Please, sit down."

Olrich did as instructed.

The old man dropped his quill into the inkwell a handbreadth away and looked up, then sat back into his chair. "You know, whenever I see you I cannot help but feel a twinge of disappointment," said the old man, and Olrich was a bit taken aback. "You are a skilled young wizard, but you could have been such a fine conjurer under my tutelage. A diabolocist. My protege, even."

Olrich relaxed a bit, though he was unsure where this conversation was supposed to be going. "When I was still some years younger than I am now I had considered it strongly, Uncle. But the troubles..."

"Ah, yes. The troubles," nodded his uncle, who had almost certainly been expecting this answer. "I suppose that business that Einmarch's family got us into could put one off of it. But the Henderthane family deals in weapons and armaments, boy. And in these days of the Thrune dynasty, devils and other creatures from the beyond are the weapon of choice in Cheliax. At least among the circles we must travel."

The old man briefly paused to take a gulp of water from a mug on his desk. Though good wine was plentiful here, he valued clarity over the pleasures of the drink. Olrich's uncle, or more accurately, great uncle, was not and had never been the head of the family. But he was one of its most valued and accomplished minds.

"Still, your divergence from my preferred path makes you more suitable for a bit of business I have been brewing. A future master of conjuration I would have had to keep here under my tutelage. But with whatever it is you are studying now, and I am sure you are studying it ably, I can afford to send you off into the wilderness."

"The wilderness, Uncle? But I am hardly suited to-"

"It is the route, not the destination!" snaps the old man. "No, I can think of no one in our close family more suitable for what one is likely to find it that strange and perplexing land of Numeria. No one else I know has both your intelligence and your ability to pick up new skills on the fly. And you are going to need those."

Olrich really was taken aback now. Numeria? That was on the other side of the continent!

"The troubles, as you call so politely and maddeningly call them, have been a major setback for the Henderthanes. In times of weakness such as these one must find new sources of strength. I am sure you have heard many stories of the strange wonders of Numeria. Through my agents I had made advances to its rulers, the members of the Technic League, to share some of their secrets. But they are much too protective of the treasures found there."

"What I need is someone who can separate the rumour from the fact. Someone who I can count on to not just obtain what the Technic League would rather keep for themselves, but that can be counted on to correctly discern its use. Maybe even to reproduce it. I cannot be sure that whatever it is they have managed to find in those lands can be put to efficient destructive use. But if it can, then the Henderthanes supremacy as Cheliax's merchants of war demands that we possess it."

"I see," says Olrich quietly. "You are asking quite a bit of me, Uncle."

"Yes, I am. Travelling to a distant land, facing unknown enemies with unknown weapons. It will be quite dangerous. I am sure you can understand how important this task must be though if I am sending an asset with as much potential as you. Unfortunately, you are about all I can send. I do not want to openly risk the aggravation of the Technic League, in case I am able to change their minds. A richly equipped and guarded member of House Henderthane would arouse unwanted suspicions."

"So I must ask that you leave the wealth you are accustomed to behind, and most of your possessions. They will be well looked after, and in case you should not return I shall see that they are distributed appropriately among your siblings. Your name, Henderthan, as well. You can choose another that suits your fancy, though I would disproportionately pleased if you travelled under 'Kentarre' . That was my mother's maiden name. It is a noble name as suits you, but a very minor one. I might be persuaded to send with you one companion of your choice. I have prepared special transportation for you to Druma, but from there you will have to find your own way to Numeria. Avoid Ustalav and Galt if you can. Unpredictable and nasty place right now."

Olrich is very quiet for a moment as he thinks deeply. He looks up and asks, "When would you have me leave?"

"In no more than one month," answers his uncle. "Events have been set in motion. They may move of their own accord now."

After another moment a confident smile spreads across Olrich's face, and he puts his fingers together. His mind raced as his uncle explained the task before him, but now he has convinced himself of his own angle as well.

"Alright then. I will do it gladly."

The old man did not smile per se, but he did look pleased. He removed a ring from his finger and handed it to Olrich. When the younger man looked at it appeared to be made of iron in covered in runes.

"Here, takes this. It should aid you in focusing your magic. It has graced my finger for many years. Try not to lose it."

Olrich Henderthane, male Chelish enchanter 1, lawful neutral
str 11 dex 12 con 14 int 20 wis 12 cha 14
traits Against the Technic League, Influence (Diplomacy)
feats Faster Learner, Improvisation, Scribe Scroll
arcane focus Ring
skills Appraise, Bluff, Diplomacy, K (Arcana), K (Engineering), K (Local), K (Geography), Perception, Spellcraft
spells in book 0-Level All, 1st-Level Ant Haul, Charm Person, Crafter's Fortune, Jury-Rig, Magic Missile, Memory Lapse, Shocking Grasp

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Hannerdyn

Explorer
Here's Evandar. He's a pretty straightforward ranger with the skirmisher archetype (APG).

I'm usually on enworld a few times during the day throughout the week, a little less on the weekends. Basically I can post daily, sometimes more during the week.

[sblock]
NameEvandar Hane

RaceHuman

Class/LevelRanger / 1

AlignmentLawful Good

Favored ClassRanger

Experience 0

Hero Points 0

AbilitiesScoreBonus

STR14+2

DEX15+2

CON16+3

WIS14+2

INT14+2

CHA10+0

SavesTotalAtt. BonusLvl. Bonus

Fortitude+5+3+2

Reflex+4+2+2

Will+2+2+0

AttacksDamageTotalAtt. BonusBABSpec
Longsword1d8+2 19-20+3+2+1
Shortsword1d6+1 19-20+3+2+1
Two-weapon attack1d8+2 / 1d6+1+1+2+1-2
Touch-+3+2+1
CMB-+3+2+1
[Two-weapon fighting]

[Against the Technic League]

Defense

HP13/13

AC

SkillsTotalRanksAbilityProfSpec
Climb+6+1+2+3
Handle Animal+4+1+0+3
Knowledge, Geography+6+1+2+3
Knowledge, Nature+6+1+2+3
Perception+6+1+2+3
Profession, Barrister+6+1+2+3
Sense Motive+6+1+2+3
Stealth+6+1+2+3
Survival+6+1+2+3

Feats

Two-Weapon Fighting

Endurance

Special

Archetype: Skirmisher (APG)

Track

Favored Enemy - Construct

Local Ties

Languages

Common

Elven

Dwarven

EquipmentCost
Weight

Bedroll1sp5

Rope (50ft. Silk)

Studded Leather Armor25gp20

Longsword15

Flint and Steel1gp

Canteen

Pouch x33gp1.5

Rations x525sp5

Shortsword10

Explorer's Outfit10gp8

Gold50gp

Total Weight

Light Load 70lbs.

[/sblock]

Here's Evandar in excel format:
View attachment Evandar Hane.xlsx

grtrtle

First Post
[MENTION=6777934]Maldavos[/MENTION]: Thanks for incorporating Aja into your past. I like it. Aja has always enjoyed when Evandar took the time to travel with her in the nearby regions around Torch, and did often wonder why he vanished as he did this past year. Evandar's recent reappearance around Torch is welcome news.

Here are some crunch behind Aja.

STR 14 / DEX 16 / CON 12 / INT 10 / WIS 18 / CHA 14
Human Cleric (LG) of Erastil
Domains: Animal(Feather Subdomain[APG]), Good
Traits: Robot Slayer [Campaign Trait], Beast Bond[UCa]

I would like permission to pick up Boon Companion at level 3 for when Aja gets an animal companion at level 4, assuming she survives that long. I believe it first came out in Pathfinder Chronicles: Seeker of Secrets, and is in the Animal Archive.

I can post daily everyday both M-F and weekends. I can usually make multiple postings if things are moving quickly (not daily, but over 50% of the time).

Shayuri

First Post
Hm! Spellslinger or Gunslinger?!

Man, this is tougher than I expected!

Magitech, or pure tech?

Bwah, I'll try to get a sheet posted tonight once I put this eternal question behind me.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Ugh, why are Rogues so _boring_? lol

If you don't Gunslinger, @Shayuri, it's looking awfully tempting to me. :3

Or maybe Monk.

Or maybe Oracle.

Still waiting to see how the group unfolds, but I think so far all we have is a Ranger and Cleric confirmed.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
I'm definitely feeling gunslinger. I kind of like the idea of someone who is all about technology and SCIENCE rather than that stupid magic...and can actually pull it off in a fantasy setting.

Might even do some alchemist in there...mix it up a bit. Siege Engineer Gunslinger has some spiffs for Intelligence too...yeah...

Alright, I gots it! Siege Gunner Gunslinger, mixed with Grenadier Alchemist. I see probably going even-stevens between the two for awhile, but eventually will break to favor Alchemist. This character is all about the BOOMS.

The Story So Far:
Deezy (nickname based on her initials) is the daughter of some of the great minds of Torch, at least in her opinion. Her father and mother were people who were fascinated by and constantly researching the nature of the devices from the ruins that fell from the sky...hardly alone in that endeavor, but unusual in their insistence on independence from politics and other 'contaminating' viewpoints. They believed that so long as they remained neutral, they would be left alone. Deezy was as hyperactive a child as she is an adult, and they used that energy to good advantage, asking her to run messages and deliver and fetch things. Always eager to help, she had been gone most of a day when she returned just in time to see individuals she later discovered were from the Technic League using magic to destroy the lab, with her parents inside. Though she rushed to help the moment it was safe, it was too late.

Since then she has made a living trading in artifacts and helping to repair and maintain machinery around the town of Torch. She keeps her aspirations to follow in her parents footsteps, and to rid the town of the League's oppression on the down low for now, waiting for the right opportunity (DOT DOT DOT).

[sblock]Name: Deezy Klatta
Race: Human
Class/Level: Siege Gunner Gunslinger 1
Exp: 0

Desc: Little redhead pigtailed ball of CRAZY.

Strength (STR) 10
Dexterity (DEX) 18 (17)
Constitution (CON) 14 (5)
Intelligence (INT) 18 (10)
Wisdom (WIS) 10
Charisma (CHA) 10

Alignment: Neutral Good
AC: 14 (10 + 4 Dex)
Hit Points: 12
Movement: 30'/60'/120'

Init: +4
Base Attack Bonus: +1
Melee Attack: +1
Ranged Attack: +5
Fort: +4
Reflex: +6
Will: +0

Race Abilities
+2 Int
Bonus Feat
Bonus Skill points
Favored Class: Gunslinger
- +1 skill point

Class Abilities:
Proficiencies: All simple, martial and firearm weapons. Light armor.
Gunsmith: Begin with a starter firearm and the Gunsmith feat.
Grit: Intmod grit points per day. Can be regained during day with critical hits and reducing foes to 0HP.
Deeds

Skills: 10 (4 class + 4 int + 1 human + 1 favored class)
Acrobatics (Dex) +8
Craft: Alchemy (Int) +8
Craft: Mechanical (Int) +8
Craft: Traps (Int) +8
Disable Device (Dex) +5
Knowledge (engineering) (Int) +8
Knowledge (local) (Int) +8
Perception (Wis) +4
Linguistics (Int) +8
Sleight of Hand (Dex) +8

Traits
Against the Technic League (+2 dmg against targets associated with the League)
Firebug (+1 atk with thrown splash weapons and bombs)

Feats
b Gunsmith
b Technologist
1 Point Blank Shot

Languages - Common, Hallit, Androffan, Orc, Dwarf, Gnome, Draconic

Grit (4/day)
Deeds
- 1g - Targeted Blast: Single target within AE takes +1 dmg/lvl, one more target per 5 lvls.
- 1g - Gunslinger's Dodge: move 5' or drop prone as reaction to rng atk; gain +2 AC vs triggering atk or +4 if prone
- 1 min grit - Std action to remove broken condition due to misfire from firearm. Spend 1 grit to do it as move act

Money - 14gp

Weapons -
Battered Pistol, +5 to hit, 1d8 dmg, 20' rng (misfire on 1; std reload), 4lbs
Throwing Axe, +1 to hit (+5 thrown), 1d6 dmg, 10' rng, 8gp, 2lbs

Armour -
Leather Armor, +2 AC, maxDex +6, ACP 0, 10gp, 15lbs
Traveller's clothes

Gear -
Gunsmith Kit, 15gp, 2lbs
Black Powder (20), 200gp
Powder Horn, 3gp, 1lb
Bullets (20), 20gp
Alchemist's Fire (1), 20gp, 1lb
Acid (1), 10gp, 1lb[/sblock]

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'm starting to get a feel for a concept: Wrecker.

"Broke everything he tried to fix; decided to make that his job."

I'm thinking of starting as a Dwarven Terra-Cota Monk and dipping into Rogue for 3 levels. Thinking of taking Robot Slayer as one of my traits and doing some specialization in demolitions/trap removal and underground work, though I'm not 100% sure how to model this as yet.

G

Guest 11456

With the recent addition of the Advanced Class Guide to the PRD, I have added those 10 classes to the list of classes and added the book to the list of sources. Enjoy!

Remove ads