D&D 5E Bardic Lore: A Basic College of Lore Bard Guide

Rub

First Post
Circle of Power
Another one of those level 17 Paladin spells that you can steal and use at level 10. This more or less gives you spell resistance and the level 6 Oath of the Ancients Paladin ability in a spell for for 10 minutes. Also this spell requires no concentration to use either. That means it can only be dispelled and if you can make it last for 2 or 3 fights or if you know you are facing spell casters this spell is really really good. Taking spells like this also means your party will love you.

-AND-

Destructive Wave
A "lost" spell that is probably a 5th level Paladin spell. This spell doesn't appear on any classes spell list and RAW only appears as a 5th level domain spell for tempest clerics. It is one of the best blasting spells in the game. 10d6 damage total half thunder, half lightning damage and it can knock people prone. It also only effects creatures you chose so you dop not have to worry about it hitting your own party. Things prone on the ground grant advantage to hit them. I would pick this spell as a buffer or blaster bard. I would almost rate this spell gold come to think of it.

[/SIZE]

Just wanted to point out I believe Circle of Power requires Concentration (PHB page 221) though still probably a sky blue spell. And doesn't Destructive Wave indeed appear as a 5th Level Paladin Spell in the PHB (page 209)? That should make it less likely for a DM to deny it since it is a legitimate spell from another class.

Zardnaar

Legend
Just wanted to point out I believe Circle of Power requires Concentration (PHB page 221) though still probably a sky blue spell. And doesn't Destructive Wave indeed appear as a 5th Level Paladin Spell in the PHB (page 209)? That should make it less likely for a DM to deny it since it is a legitimate spell from another class.

It's a Paladin spell but they messed up the name in the PHB.

Perhaps it was fixed in the errata and Rub has the errata'ed version of the PHB?

At any rate, no reasonable DM will deny that it's a real spell that is actually supposed to be in the PHB, even if they have the original version of the PHB Paladin list.

Timothy Park

First Post
I would give some consideration to including Hunger of Hadar in the list of spells from other classes to consider. While it is somewhat dependant on how the DM manages the effect and the immediate damage is not high, it kind of starts with Darkness, add difficult terrain, add damage.

As battlefield control it's pretty potent either blocking terrain and line of sight, or slowing if not trapping a group of enemies. In a way it's similar to spike growth. If the DM rules that NPCs get lost in it, it's a slow fireball. If fireball is your other pick or some other area of effect damaging spell it's shooting fish in a barrel with a shotgun.

If the bard has two levels of Warlock allowing Devil's Sight and Agonizing Blast, or there's a Warlock in the party with same, those caught in it are in for a very bad time.

I believe those in it who fail saves are restrained as well so there can be advantage if one can attack blind or see in.

I've experimented in play with such and if the fight gets tough the others look at my bard and start chanting "Tentacles! Tentacles!"

Nathan Mitchell

First Post
I think Counterspell needs to be rated higher in Additional Magical Secrets, or just Magical Secrets in general. I have disabled bosses using a combination of Greater Invisibility and Counterspell. It's great, especially with Jack of all Trades and Peerless Skill making you a better user than anyone bar an Abjurer.

I also think a 2-level dip in Rogue needs mentioning. Cunning Action is just that good for keeping you alive.

Magic Secrets

OK, so I wanted to make a post about my experiences with Magic Secrets. I wanted too, because I think some may underestimate how important your choices are here. And I credit mine for making me the MVP of the group. I couldn't possibly have been happier.

6th level Secrets:
1. Aura of Vitality - AoV has been covered pretty well here, so I won't go too crazy about it. But the 30' ranged healing *as a bonus action* is just too awesome for words. I could still do my thing without going full healbot, or I could still cast Cure Wounds as a standard action if I did. But generally speaking, I never cast Cure Wounds again once I got this spell.

2. Lightning Bolt - LB gave me the exact amount of blaster capability I wanted. I personally prefer it over Fireball, because I can do things like blast things point-blank in melee range, blast single targets engaged with party members (requires them to be perpendicular, but party members catch on quick how to position themselves), and still be pretty good AoE, if you position yourself right. Fireball is amazing, and you won't go wrong there. But where Fireball is like lobbing a grenade, Lighting Bolt can be a battlefield scalpel.

10th level Secrets:
1a. Bigby's Hand - Such a versatile spell. Control it as a bonus action! Punch something for 4d8, push a creature off a ledge, grapple a spellcaster, or keep a creature away from you. I've never found a more helpful battlefield control spell. This saved our bacon bigtime while fighting a dragon that we couldn't catch up too, that kept breathing on us and flying out of sight to recharge his breath weapon. Just when we were all about to die from a 3rd breath attack, I cast this and had the hand grapple the dragon, and pull it to the ground. It let the melee catch him, and it was curtains.
-or-
1b. Telekinesis: So this deserves a mention here, simply because of how mechanically similar it is to Bigby's Hand. The major drawback here is it's a standard action (not a Bonus Action) to control your telekinesis. Major pluses are that it lasts for 10 minutes, (Bigby's Hand only lasts 1 minute) and you can ultimately do more with it. (DM depending, of course.) It could have a ton of out-of-combat uses, where Bigby's Hand is almost strictly for combat. So you need to pick your poison here! I went with Bigby's, but that's just me. But I wouldn't get both.

2. Wall of Force - There is no better wall spell. I've pushed the "pause" button on a boss creature for 10 minutes with a sphere while the party kills his minions. The DM absolutely hated that. Or you can use it to divide and conquer. Plus, my "get-out-of-jail-free" card has always been casting this to protect me and the party in a sphere for 10 minutes, and then casting Teleportation Circle. (1 minute casting time for Teleportation Circle, and no Teleport until level 13.) All kinds of uses! Unless your character is building themselves a castle, (i.e. Wall of Stone) then this is the "wall" spell you want.

*snip good comments*

2. Wall of Force - There is no better wall spell. I've pushed the "pause" button on a boss creature for 10 minutes with a sphere while the party kills his minions. The DM absolutely hated that. Or you can use it to divide and conquer. Plus, my "get-out-of-jail-free" card has always been casting this to protect me and the party in a sphere for 10 minutes, and then casting Teleportation Circle. (1 minute casting time for Teleportation Circle, and no Teleport until level 13.) All kinds of uses! Unless your character is building themselves a castle, (i.e. Wall of Stone) then this is the "wall" spell you want.

Just so long as you have a second spellcaster to cast Teleportation Circle. Remember, casting a spell that takes longer than one action (like Teleportation Circle) breaks concentration (needed for Wall of Force).

But yes, it is a terrific spell. :)

Miracle_Matter

First Post
Crown of Madness should be red, it is a spell that costs an action to cast, requires a save to work, and requires every action afterwards to maintain that concentration until it breaks. Not only that, but the enemy has to attack before moving, otherwise he does anything normally. This means that the DM could position the enemies in a way so that they are all 10 feet away from that creature, making that creature act normally. Also, that creature gets to do the save any time it gets damaged + on the end of its turn. All in all, with the action consumption and the unlikeliness that the creature will actually attack another enemy just don't make Crown of Madness worth it one little bit. It should at most black.

mellored

Legend
Crown of Madness should be red, it is a spell that costs an action to cast, requires a save to work, and requires every action afterwards to maintain that concentration until it breaks. Not only that, but the enemy has to attack before moving, otherwise he does anything normally. This means that the DM could position the enemies in a way so that they are all 10 feet away from that creature, making that creature act normally. Also, that creature gets to do the save any time it gets damaged + on the end of its turn. All in all, with the action consumption and the unlikeliness that the creature will actually attack another enemy just don't make Crown of Madness worth it one little bit. It should at most black.
If you know the order of inititive, just tag the creature who goes first. There won't be time to move.

As a bonus, have an ally rogue with sentinal. So you spend 1 action, stoped 1 action, got an attack, and give the rogue an attack. It certainly takes setup to make work, but it's can be powerful.

Don't worry about later rounds. If the enemies spread out, then just end it. It did it's job.

Remove ads