D&D 5E Bardic Lore: A Basic College of Lore Bard Guide

Finglas

Explorer
Updates with SCAG and Xanathar's would be great! Easy for me to say, since someone else is doing the work, but this guide has helped me and I'd love to see more! Thanks!

Finglas

Explorer
Updates with SCAG and Xanathar's would be great! Easy for me to say, since someone else is doing the work, but this guide has helped me and I'd love to see more! Thanks!

I’m actually curious about what you and other people think of taking Thunder Step as an Additional Magical Secret for a Lore Bard. It seems like a great choice for Valor, but I am thinking about it for when my Lore Bard hits 6th level too. Good utility and a bit of AOE damage seems nice, but not sure if passing up other spell choices is worth it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

DocSharpe

Explorer
I’m actually curious about what you and other people think of taking Thunder Step as an Additional Magical Secret for a Lore Bard. It seems like a great choice for Valor, but I am thinking about it for when my Lore Bard hits 6th level too. Good utility and a bit of AOE damage seems nice, but not sure if passing up other spell choices is worth it or not.

I'm actually going back and forth on this spell.
What I like is that it fills a few niches...damage, teleport, and the "oh s#it I need to get out of here". Plus, "any space you can see" can be abused.
What I don't like is that it's not ally friendly, and 30' is a big radius to be inflicting 3d10 damage to your allies. (Especially if the fight is already going badly.

If you're someone who Dimension Doors a lot as a utility...this is a less expensive version of that but I'm not sure I would want to see this used in a combat situation.

Finglas

Explorer
Right, I feel the same way! One thing in its favor, as far as being ally-friendly, is that it's only a 10-foot radius (yes, I had to look that up, was thinking 30 feet). So if you're rescuing your ally who's about to go down, with say, 3 adjacent foes, this is great, but in some situations it may be more tricky. I may just have to try it in play when I get to 6th level in a couple of months. Or else chicken out and take Fireball, lol.

Remove ads