D&D 5E Bardic Lore: A Basic College of Lore Bard Guide

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Exactly. Giving up stat bonus for said feat, another feat, or multi classing which delays when you gain new spells or future stats/feats. A pretty big investment.

I keep hearing how most characters don't see into higher levels so this might be one of 2 or 3 total feats used.

Yes, for a +3 to +5 AC, which is better than any feat in my opinion.

Gortle

Explorer
Spells

Thanks for the review of Bard spells.

I disagree about one. Cure Wounds should be taken by every Bard. Even if you do have another healer in the party one day you will need it.
It's a whole role in just one spell.

SullyGamer

First Post
[MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] Interesting write-up. My only critique is that it doesn't address qualitative aspects except where they are potentially negative (e.g. Drow).
[MENTION=88663]Gizella[/MENTION] Re: Cure Wounds. I think it depends. If, for example, the party had a cleric, paladin, and druid who all had Cure Wounds, do you really want a fourth class to have it? I'd concede that if there was one spell I'd want everyone to have, this would be it, but I think the nature of a small party system incentives the players and characters to avoid too many role back-ups. I'd also concede that of that list, the Paladin is the one I'd have give up Cure Wounds because of Lay on Hands. Though even with the Paladin not taking it and both the Druid and Cleric having it, I'd still skip the Bard having it. Now if the party only had one character with it I'd say have the Bard take it too.

kirtar

First Post
For the standard human traits you can actually emulate half elf block with 16/16/14/12/10/9. The even spread example given for human looks a little over budget at 28 points by my calculation. That said, without any extra features (e.g. dark vision, 2 skill proficiencies) I would still take half-elf rather than do focused human block. I might try this out whenever this campaign ends. I would note that dissonant whispers is not fully bard specific as it is on one of the Warlock (Great Old One) expanded spell lists.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
For the standard human traits you can actually emulate half elf block with 16/16/14/12/10/9. The even spread example given for human looks a little over budget at 28 points by my calculation. That said, without any extra features (e.g. dark vision, 2 skill proficiencies) I would still take half-elf rather than do focused human block. I might try this out whenever this campaign ends. I would note that dissonant whispers is not fully bard specific as it is on one of the Warlock (Great Old One) expanded spell lists.

You are right it is 28 point buy. I think the half elf is better as well even for non bard classes. Updated the default human based on your feedback and added some new comments based on more information gleaned from various forums.

Added level 3 spells and some magical secrets as well.

Last edited:

sithramir

First Post
Should add smite spells and hex/hunters mark

All allow you to do extra damage. You can get level 3 paladin versions.

Lore bards still get light armor and that can allow them sent huge damage increases as they aren't as wimpy as a wizard when needed in melee

Hex/hunters mark can last many fights with only one slot

Remove ads