D&D 5E Bardic Lore: A Basic College of Lore Bard Guide

Zardnaar

Legend
I think Faerie Fire is better than Blindness but I may have under rated it. I can just think iof around 4 Bard spells better than it so taking it is a difficult sell IMHO. Those spells being Faerie Fire, Dissonant Whispers, Tashas Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter and Healing word. I may have over rated FF but at worst is is a light blue spell but we are still using it at level 11 so go figure. Willing to discuss the pros/cons of blindness just black or blue spell I suppose. Wisdom saves tend to be harder for NPCs to make and blindness only hits a single target hence Tashas getting the higher rating.

That means Blindness is at best a black spell IMHO. I think I will downgrade crown of madness though I thought it was better than it is.

Ashrym

Legend
Tasha's is more restricted by target type, takes up the concentration, is also only single target, and cannot be cast in a higher slot for multiple targets like blindness. Tasha's is also easier to break with saves every turn and every time the target takes damage (with advantage in that case). The fact that blindness duals as an offensive bonus and a defensive bonus while allowing concentration on another spell makes it pretty good at any level.

Zardnaar

Legend
Tasha's is more restricted by target type, takes up the concentration, is also only single target, and cannot be cast in a higher slot for multiple targets like blindness. Tasha's is also easier to break with saves every turn and every time the target takes damage (with advantage in that case). The fact that blindness duals as an offensive bonus and a defensive bonus while allowing concentration on another spell makes it pretty good at any level.

Have you been using it in a real game? Con saves are usually semi decent on monsters relative to will saves.

Ashrym

Legend
Have you been using it in a real game? Con saves are usually semi decent on monsters relative to will saves.

The point is to be able to do either because there are a lot of monsters with good WIS or DEX saves. I do use it in a real game and the fact it's not concentration and affects the widest variety of monsters is good.

Zardnaar

Legend
The point is to be able to do either because there are a lot of monsters with good WIS or DEX saves. I do use it in a real game and the fact it's not concentration and affects the widest variety of monsters is good.

How woulod you rate it then? Black, blue or sky blue? If one can flunk a save though I would prefer something like Faerie fire that hits multiple NPCs so I am leaning towards black or blue. I may have missed the doesn't need concentration part of the spell.

Ashrym

Legend
I would rate it blue just for the no concentration. Concentration is one of the most restrictive mechanics in 5e for casters and that's a low level status effect that can be effective and doesn't force the caster to break concentration on other spells.

Gloves

First Post
Thanks a lot for this post! Any news on when you'll be updating it further? I am interested in your breakdown of optional Feats for Bards as well.

Zardnaar

Legend
Thanks a lot for this post! Any news on when you'll be updating it further? I am interested in your breakdown of optional Feats for Bards as well.

Ideally in a weekend but I said that 2 weeks ago. 6am starts atm in the lead up to Christmas le sigh.

Gloves

First Post
Real life is important!

I have just rolled a 5e Half-Elf bard myself in a friend's campaign. I've been using your advice quite a bit, though I was fortunate that we used "4d6 drop lowest" for stat rolls and I ended up with no drop stats. The campaign doesn't begin until January, but for first level I've selected the cantrips "Friends" and "Viscious Mockery", and the 1st level spells "Sleep," "Dissonant Whispers," "Bane," and "Faerie Fire".

Although it overlaps with the party rogue quite a bit, I selected Stealth, Deception, Sleight of Hand, Persuasion, and Investigation as my proficient skills.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases