Doctor Who s08e05 "Time Heist" - SPOILERS

MarkB

Legend
This episode seemed like a return to the latterday Matt Smith stories, and I don't mean that in a good way. Lots of rushing through the plot, quick cuts, perfunctory characterisation, and after it was all over, I'm left feeling "Well, okay, that just happened, I guess."

Hopefully others got more out of it than I did.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My weird theories cross posted on CM).

1) The Doctor is being all the previous Doctors at various times. He's not settling in, and he's not going to. He doesn't have his own persona. One minute he's Hartnell, being coldish and pragmatic. Next minute he's Pertwee, being authoritarian and using Venusian Aikido. Or he's Troughton and dancing around. I think we'll see him manifesting 12 Doctors this year.

-1a) Maybe this weird Time Lords granted emergency regeneration isn't a regeneration, it's an amalgamation. Not the Valeyard, but something else.

2) He keeps describing Clara's appearance as different to what we can plainly see. Maybe he's being alien. Or maybe he can literally see something different to us - some bug-eyed alien. Maybe Clara isn't what she appears; and maybe she doesn't know it either.

Yeah, I'm stretching.

Elven

First Post
This episode seemed like a return to the latterday Matt Smith stories, and I don't mean that in a good way. Lots of rushing through the plot, quick cuts, perfunctory characterisation, and after it was all over, I'm left feeling "Well, okay, that just happened, I guess."

Hopefully others got more out of it than I did.

Did i miss something?, or why did they not take the TARDIS to the vault before the solar flare/storm?
Wait for it to open, then leave after the storm?

And why hide your "guilt" with the memory worms, when there was no guilt in the first place? (it was a rescue mission)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think I missed something too. Near the start the Doctor says "Robbing a bank with a TARDIS is easy. So why aren't we using it?"

I'm still unclear why he didn't just use it, rather than that convoluted plan. Fly in, rescue critters, fly out. Job done. What did I miss?

Elodan

Adventurer
I think I missed something too. Near the start the Doctor says "Robbing a bank with a TARDIS is easy. So why aren't we using it?"

I'm still unclear why he didn't just use it, rather than that convoluted plan. Fly in, rescue critters, fly out. Job done. What did I miss?

The Doctor mentioned that the solar storms would interfere with the Tardis being able to land on the planet.

I'm liking Capaldi more and more. Wish they'd stop the Doctor acting like a jealous boyfriend bits.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Doctor mentioned that the solar storms would interfere with the Tardis being able to land on the planet.

Huh. That makes the TARDIS a bit rubbish! I thought it was the highest tech in the universe, capable of holding a star at its centre and towing planets, not to mention travelling to other universes, and watching the creation and end of the universe. Wouldn't have thought a little solar storm would bother it any.

MarkB

Legend
I think that's a big part of why I couldn't get into the episode. Everything in it seems to be a plot device to counter another plot device, which in turn counters another plot device, until it all comes full circle, with the result that it's composed of about 90% plot twists, and 10% actual plot.

Honestly, if they wanted to make the TARDIS not an option for breaking into the vault, their best move would be to make the vault actually TARDIS-proof, and thus scarily high-tech.

I was hoping to see some connection to Missy in this episode - in both looks and attitude, Madame Karabraxos and her clone seemed like a younger version of Missy, and I was hoping they'd tie in somehow. But it seems that the arc-plot is taking a back seat for now.

Remove ads