Everything D&D Ever - Chapter 1: Temple of the Frog

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Lillily, Xana, and Taranis see about half a dozen elves with bows pointed at the group cleverly hidden in the trees above them.

The speaker, a handsome elven man with uncharacteristically broad shoulders and a distinctly non-elven blond mustache, drops to the ground and motions for the other elves to lower their bows upon hearing Xana's greeting.

"Ah. So you're the group recruited by the Dark Mother. Welcome to you. I am Jackdaw, son of an elven father of Kae'Anir and a human mother of the Suel tribe."

Jackdaw and the elves hold forth blindfolds, "Before we continue, I must ask that you put these on so you cannot reveal our location once you leave us."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"That's crazy! How are we going to find our way out if we haven't seen our way going in? We were just trying to help."

Lillily does not understand what the secret is, nor why she would accept being made defenceless for no good reason. There is plenty of adventure elsewhere, she thinks.

sithramir

First Post
Taranis begrudgingly acquiesces knowing that while he is a drifter he is no forest expert.

"I think the blind fold may be wasted but I will do it willingly to show our good faith" he states in elvish. "Do not worry friends, they could have taken us had Ill will been their intent. Let us learn more so we can help our mission to bring peace to the land."

Brother Dave

First Post
Bran bows deeply to Jackdaw. "Well met, Master Jackdaw. I am Bran Ravenwood. My friends and I were indeed sent by your 'Dark Mother' on a mission of grave importance. She chose us - or, as she would have it, we chose ourselves - and led us to believe that we would find trusted friends and allies here. I pray that is so."

He considers for a moment, then holds out his hand for the blindfold. "I understand that you have your own people to protect, and trust must be earned. I will wear your blindfold for now, and hope for the day that you find it unnecessary."

Bran turns to his friends. "Come, my friends. We have accepted the Lady at Her word, or what are we doing here at all? And as Taranis has pointed out - if they meant us ill, they could have slain us already without warning." With a flourish, he winds the blindfold around his head and ties it securely, then waits patiently for Jackdaw's guidance.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"This is crazy! We we gathered supernaturally by one of the six wives of the leader of the elven nations. She called to us, subtly, magically, and we responded. We are heading to a Dismal Swamp, to a Temple that is a hideout for cultists or bandits".

Lilliy has a good memory for these things.

"War is brewing between Blackmoor and the elves and Blackmoor wants to exploit the Temple's power.

"We know there are people among the elf leaders who want the temple for themselves. How do we know which faction these archers are on? We only know they exist because they announced themselves. Had they not done so, we'd have had no idea they were there, or that we were entering their territory.

I do not know them, but I am here to help their people. If they want my help, they get my eyes. If not, they can supernaturally recruit another being to fight for their cause.

"We need to earn their trust? Hah! These creatures need to earn mine."

She squares her stance. If the elves attack, she will fight back. If all her companions accept the blindfolds, she will stay here, going only if she is unencumbered and unblidfolded. If they all are led away, she will take her equipment, and return to the port and seek a position on a ship, where this would be recognized for the foolishness it is.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Xana is momentarily silent, seeing the handsome elf with a moustache, overwhelmed by the reality that she's on an adventure. Odum, her winged monkey familiar, waves his hand in front of her eyes once or twice, trying to get her to snap out of her reverie.

When Lilly challenges the elves, Xana snaps to attention. Wait! We don't have to fight! Think of it this way: whether or not we trust them, we're the ones going to the Temple. We're researching! If we find something that, as our employer said, is too dangerous for either party (like, I don't know, some artifact that opens portals to an army of demons, or something crazy that'll blast everyone into an apocalypse or something), we are the people on hand. And hey, what better way to sue for peace than to have some kind of working relationship with the Elves? If this war really happens, it won't be the nobles who get killed, but the farmers and commoners caught in the middle. On both sides. To have peace, we need trust. If it has to start with me, then so be it.

Xana accepts the blindfold from the elves, and says to Lilly as she puts it on, And hey, why would they want to kill a bunch of randoms? Way too much work for too little benefit.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Lillily turns to Xana: "You're right. We don't have to fight. I don't know about motives. The elves want my help or they do not. But they do not begin a relationship by making stupid demands that they know they themselves would not accept." Lillily is surprised at the gullibility of her colleagues, but holds back from saying so. She will have to be extra cautious, as this gives her reason to doubt them too. But, under no circumstances, is she accepting a blindfold.

Remove ads