returning weapon and multiple attacks

Orm

Explorer
I don´t know if this has been discussed before...

When a character with quick draw (to get them out quickly) and multiple attacks throws a bunch of returning weapons (as much as he has attacks), exactly at what time will they return to him? All at the same time at the beginning of the next round or at that moment he threw them only one round later? Will they return to his hand or their sheathes? And thus, will he be able to throw all the weapons again in the next round or will he get some problems juggling for example up to four (with rapid shot five) throwing axes in one hand?

Thanks in advance
Orm

Destil

Explorer
Per the returning description they return just before his action on the following round. So you'd need as many returning daggers or watever as you could make attacks in a round, to make a full attack.

I don't see any balance problem in letting him make a full attack this next round. It's not specific as to where they return, but it does state that it's ready to be used the next round. So I wouldn't worry about the specifics, full attack every round he wants. Mabye they return just as he throws them, since each was thrown a slight bit later... or mabye they go to his off hand and he can pass them off as a free action.

Last edited:

Orm

Explorer
Thanks for your opinion, Destil. Any one else out there? And what happens if a returning dagger gets stuck to a small, light target like a rabbit. Can you use it as a hunting knive that retrieves it´s own prey? Would be very convenient...

Nifft

Penguin Herder
"Returning" is only +1 equiv. I'd make a new enchantment "Retreiving" +2 equiv. which has the power to bring back with it any creature one size smaller than the weapon.

Now imagine a demon with a retreiving large javelin, hurling it at your party's mage...

-- Nifft

Dingleberry

First Post
Orm said:
Thanks for your opinion, Destil. Any one else out there? And what happens if a returning dagger gets stuck to a small, light target like a rabbit. Can you use it as a hunting knive that retrieves it´s own prey? Would be very convenient...

I agree with Nifft that the plain returning enchantment isn't powerful enough to bring back a target object. In fact, I've ruled critical failures with returning weapons to mean the weapon missed the target and lodged in some other object near the target, unable to return until manually freed.

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Nifft said:
"Returning" is only +1 equiv. I'd make a new enchantment "Retreiving" +2 equiv. which has the power to bring back with it any creature one size smaller than the weapon.

Now imagine a demon with a retreiving large javelin, hurling it at your party's mage...

-- Nifft

:D Nice idea, REALLY. What a visual...

Orm

Explorer
Nifft said:

-- Nifft
Really cool visual. What about someone with far shot and his throwing (+1), retrieving (+2) greatsword of distance (+1) up to 100ft towards his enemies?

isoChron

First Post
:)
You couldn't resist, Orm ! I knew it ! I KNEW IT !!! :)
Throwing Greatsword ... who is so insane to come up with such an idea ... :)

You know : Your daggers ALWAYS do more damage than any other weapon you use ! :) Or buy some new D6 ...:rolleyes:

reapersaurus

First Post
that's nothing.

I've got a guy that's using a Ranged (PsiHB), Distance shield and has Far Shot, so he can huck his Divine Shield (+BIG) 450 feet. :D

Remove ads