Give me your monster conversion request!

Sacrosanct

Legend
This is spawned from the couple of threads where we have been lamenting the omission of some of our favorite monsters. I love creating monsters, so I figured why not address the problem until the "official" monsters have been released. I mentioned in the other thread how I really wish the cave fisher was in the MM, so I'll lead off by giving you my version of said omitted monster.

Because I'm sure it will be asked and/or pointed out, this version might not be the 'perfect" conversion in your eyes. My process when doing conversions is to look at how the monster was used previously. What level of PCs did it typically go against? That gives me a good idea of what CR the creature should be. From there I look at other monsters of the same CR to get a good idea of base stats and attacks. Then I look at context of the creature in how it's typically used to assign any special abilities that would be relevant. Just to give you an idea of how I go about doing my conversions. I'll tell you right now that if you reply with "Well, that creature does an average of 11.24432 DPR, and the average DPR of CR4 creatures is 10.9323, I'll probably just go, "Ok." IMO, there's a lot more than physical stats that go into the CR equation, like how the creature is typically encountered and any other attributes that may impact combat. Just so you know ;)

So tell me what creature you want converted, and I'll give it my best shot. Disclaimer though, I'm not familiar with 4e very much, so any monsters exclusive to that edition I might not be able to do.

cavefisher.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hmm. I think I'd like to see someone attempt some kind of demon prince or high ranking devil. One of the real big guys!

Sacrosanct

Legend
Hmm. I think I'd like to see someone attempt some kind of demon prince or high ranking devil. One of the real big guys!

Challenge accepted! And it is a challenge because a) I've never tried to tackle on a unique epic creature before, and b) it's been a looooong time since I read up on a demon prince. Keep that in mind for criticisms ;)

Anyhoo, here is my initial draft. No ecology of course since it's found elsewhere

*edit* damnit. already an error. Demonic sacrifice is supposed to be 60ft, not 600ft.

*edit 2* Now that I think about it, I think a better lair action is to get rid of the sulfur cloud and replace it with:

Create a hellish essence within a 120ft radius, seeping up from the ground. All demons within the radius are healed 25 (3d10+10) hit points.

*edit 3* I really had him all wrong. See my changes a bit later in the thread with the updated one.

Last edited:

Remove ads