Iron Kingoms Character Primer Review?

Azure Trance

First Post
On the homepage of www.ironkingdoms.com they said that IKCP was released in late December; since it's the second week of January does anyone have / making a review of it? I didn't even realize it was out (enworld d20 review has it listed as overdue Nov 2002 FYI). Very much interested in purchasing it.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I just got it today, so I really haven't had a chance to look at it very closely. It does look like a nice overview of the setting, though, with Privateer's outstanding art really adding to it.

Azure Trance

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
I just got it today, so I really haven't had a chance to look at it very closely. It does look like a nice overview of the setting, though, with Privateer's outstanding art really adding to it.

Hm ... well, can you tell me a bit about it when you digested it some? Like ... everything? :D

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
ColonelHardisson said:

Details, we need details! :)

Have to check by my local store on the way home tonight!

Azure Trance

First Post
The more I think about it, the more I believe - and feel free to correct me - that PP has the best, consistent artworok production values of any D20 company. I don't even play in the IK world as is, though sometimes I sorely am tempted to, if only for that map.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
OK, here is a bit from the blurb on the back cover:

Inside You'll Find:

* Facts on a cadre of enthicities, with special starting abilities and background traits

* Entries regarding playing demihumans - gobbers, ogrun, and trollkin - unique to the Iron Kingdoms

* New weaponry, firearms, and other "heavy metal" gear and accoutrements

* Details on the Iron Kingdoms pantheon and starting abilities for priests

* Information about the nations of the Iron Kingdoms

* Official character sheets (six pages to be precise!)

* A full-color, incredibly detailed, foldout poster map of the Iron Kingdoms

* A deluge of mesmerizing artwork by the Privateer Art Studio

This is a concise, accurate rundown of what is in this book, which is 64 pages long, including the 6 page character sheet. For its size, it's packed with interesting material. The info about the nations is necessarily short, but colorful. Each class and race gets some attention, helping each of them fit into the IK scheme of things. Much of it is what would be called fluff, but there is definitely some crunch. The added abilities are fairly low-powered in nature, with stuff like getting a masterwork weapon or some extra starting money being typical. The book is very much a gazetteer of the IK, essentially, and gives a very good glimpse into the setting, judging by how much I've been able to absorb through power-skimming. It's $13 US, and I think it's worth more than some books going for $20. Nice book, much greater than I expected it to be. If you've liked the other IK books, I'd say there's a good chance you'll like this one quite a bit.

Last edited:

Remove ads