The Fey, the Far, and the Ugly Space In Between

Binks

Explorer
1) Your keen ears and sense of spatial perception tells you that the girl doesn't have long before she is caught. Obviously she will be torn to pieces and made a meal of. They aren't far from you, but they're on the opposite slope from you. Cresting the ridge should bring them in eyeshot.

2a) These mad dogs hunt in voracious packs. There are always stragglers waiting for the last vestiges of the meal after the alphas and betas have had their fill. They're usually the hungriest...

2b) You needn't be on the lookout for humans. Your bear lets you know (through your primal magic of bestial communication) that it can smell no other humans around. His nose is a sure thing.

3) The ridge. You're just above a dark ravine. You'll have to make a quick climb up the slope to get to the high ground of the ridge (Defy Danger Str). From there, you'll be able to pinpoint the creatures and, hopefully, let loose a volley and save the girl.

Rawr has traversed the thorny thickets of these mountains many a times in search of fish from the mountain streams and the berries at the top of the ridge-lines. He will guide my way.

[sblock]Defy Danger (Str + 0, + 1 for Rawr's Cunning). 6 + 1 + 1 = 8.

As we discussed, my complication will either be losing my Called Shot due to loss of surprise, or taking 1d6 environmental damage (no armor) due to rushing through the thorny thickets. I chose the latter. Rolled 1.

1 damage in. 20 HP left.[/sblock]

Rawr and I traverse the thorny thicket without trepidation. I have no regard for the superficial wounds I endure. The small pecks of pain invigorate me as I'm in the midst of an important hunt.

As we crest the ridge, the trees and scrubs are sparse. The girl must have been picking wild berries and found herself lost in the chase. This territory is far too dangerous and remote for a young girl, unaccompanied by any protectors, to be playing. The three hounds are fast on her heels. I have a shot with them unawares. I lean into it.

[sblock]Called Shot against a surprised enemy at range. d8 damage. Rolled 3. That kills the hound as we discussed.[/sblock]

The first shot is clean through the heart. The beast is dead in a heap. Two left. My hand races to my quiver and strings two arrows simultaneously.

[sblock]Blot Out the Sun. Spending 1 ammo on the Volley to deal damage to another enemy. Volley (+ 2). Rolled 2, 3 + 2 = 7. d8 on first is 5 and second is 3. Both of the other hounds are dead. 3 ammo left.

I'll take the Volley complication that forces me to put myself in danger to get the shot. As we discussed, I'll have to Defy Danger (Dex) to avoid losing my balance and falling down the mountain slope due to the steepness and the loose, gravelly soil.

Defy Danger (Dex + 2). Rolled 6, 4 + 2 = 12. I'm good.[/sblock]

The two dogs turn momentarily to regard me. They then sprint the last few paces toward the girl. My line of sight is obscured by a small stand of trees. I sprint parallel to them on the ridge-line to maintain the shot, keeping my feet despite the treacherous ground. They clear the copse of trees. I loose. Both arrows are true and the other two hounds fall where they stood.

I immediately sprint after the girl. Where there are three wild, mad dogs, there will be 6...or even 12...

Tecklenburg

Explorer
With my blade still sheathed, I burst forth intent on charging the Master

Half the distanced closed, my Elven Longsword is unsheathed with the tip of the blade pointed down low and to my side

Harnessing every muscle fiber within my legs to propel me through the hair to land beside the Master with a quick and decisive strike
[sblock]Defy Danger

3,5+1=9

Complication as we discussed - girl loses her grip on the rock and the raging waters threaten to rush her over the edge[/sblock]

The rushing waters continue their unrelenting attack on the female's precarious grip...only one arm remains around the rock...

The strike is not made at his mortal flesh, however, targets the Master's blade instead

Attempting to disarm or push the Master's blade wide exposing his front

The main attack comes next with an advancing front kick to the inside part of the Master's favored knee
[sblock]Flawless Bladework - Advancing front kick to knee joint

3,6+3=12 May use two techniques

Damage
d8=7, -3 = 4 Dmg

As we discussed, The Master's AC is 3[/sblock]

With my offhand free, I attempt to summon a forceful blast of energy to knock the Master from his perch
[sblock]Burst Technique

2d4=2 dmg[/sblock]

The first force wave impacts the Master and he goes over the edge but he immediately counters by utilizing his Eladrin racial ability and teleports back to the rock; however, my flawless execution of the blade diversion placed me in a supreme position to summon forth a second wave of force. Unfortunately for the Master, his racial ability to teleport is not able to respond quickly enough to teleport back to a safe haven. The Master falls over the edge....
[sblock]

b(2d10)

2,7 = 7 dmg[/sblock]

Out of my periphery I see my female companion begin to lose her hand hold on the rock. Summoning all that I am, I run... moving, nay, springing from rock to rock to her precarious position and lift her from the waters deadly embrace. Carefully choosing a path back to the river bank and the remaining students...
[sblock]Defy Danger

5,5+1=11[/sblock]

Last edited:

The two dogs turn momentarily to regard me. They then sprint the last few paces toward the girl. My line of sight is obscured by a small stand of trees. I sprint parallel to them on the ridge-line to maintain the shot, keeping my feet despite the treacherous ground. They clear the copse of trees. I loose. Both arrows are true and the other two hounds fall where they stood.

I immediately sprint after the girl. Where there are three wild, mad dogs, there will be 6...or even 12...

1) You resolved the complication of traversing the ridge and the treacherous slope. 2 ammo spent but you've slain the 3 dogs chasing the girl.

2) You're chasing her down and wondering what she is doing up here by herself.

As you sprint down the mountain, she clearly recognizes your presence as her salvation. She sobs wildly and runs up the face to meet you, tripping and falling repeatedly. As you close, you note her frock is covered in blood...but not her blood. She is uninjured. When you meet, she explodes into you with a heaving, weeping embrace.

The sound of wild, rabid dogs echoes on the remote mountainside from all sides. The rest of the pack has the scent. They emerge from the scrub and stalk into the clearing. Toothy growls. Snapping jaws. With the rest somewhat cautious, inevitably the intimidating presence of your mighty bear, two of them bolt toward the three of you.

What are you doing?

Out of my periphery I see my female companion begin to lose her hand hold on the rock. Summoning all that I am, I run... moving, nay, springing from rock to rock to her precarious position and lift her from the waters deadly embrace. Carefully choosing a path back to the river bank and the remaining students...

1) You've resolved all the complications we discussed.

2) The aged Master, millennia old (ruthless) instructor for your people, has been cast from the river to the unforgiving, stone-strewn base of the falls. His fate is unknown. The students gasp in unison.

3) The student you saved is hacking up water on the river's edge, but she will live due to your valiant rescue. Several students check on her. But there is a contingency who does not....

Two stone-faced Eladrin students stare cold daggers into you. In ancient elven, the words are no less harsh. "You fool. You've doomed us all. We are in the midst of a battle for the survival of our hard-earned empire. At this very moment, the Unseelie Fey and their Fomorian allies scheme our demise with each other...and what do we do? We murder our most noble kin. You've slain the only one capable of turning this soft generation of our people into the hardened wall that our enemies would break against. His brutal methods and a few student deaths were irrelevant in the face of our annihilation...which you have now ushered in."

His hand tightens on the hilt of his sheathed blade. "I will see you cast out for this...and your family name disgraced..."

The two Eladrin stand at Near range to you, the entire group under the shadowy boughs and the lavender hues of the Feywild broadleaf trees.

I want you to (a) tell me who these 2 Eladrin are and (b) give me your Move.

Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
As you sprint down the mountain, she clearly recognizes your presence as her salvation. She sobs wildly and runs up the face to meet you, tripping and falling repeatedly. As you close, you note her frock is covered in blood...but not her blood. She is uninjured. When you meet, she explodes into you with a heaving, weeping embrace.

The sound of wild, rabid dogs echoes on the remote mountainside from all sides. The rest of the pack has the scent. They emerge from the scrub and stalk into the clearing. Toothy growls. Snapping jaws. With the rest somewhat cautious, inevitably the intimidating presence of your mighty bear, two of them bolt toward the three of you.

What are you doing?

I stare down savagely at the rabid dogs and bare my teeth. Their eyes are dilated in blood lust and they barely seem to acknowledge my threat as their gaze preys upon the blood covered little girl in my arms. Hastily, I pry away her death-gripped arms that are wrapped around my waist. As I shove her behind me, I signal to Rawr for him to step to my side so that we may serve as a barrier. They are going to attack, but we will not let them harm her. I reach down to my belt and draw my dagger.

[sblock]Defend (the child)
5 + 5 + 1 = 11
Result: Gain 3 hold
Redirect an attack from the thing you defend to yourself​
Damage roll to myself: 5 + 1 -1 (armor) = 5​
Deal damage to the attacker equal to your level (x2)​
Deal 3 damage to each dog, killing them.​
[/sblock]

The rabid dogs both snarl and rapidly bound forward. The first one tightens its rear leg muscles and bounds itself into the air, projecting its muscular body toward the space between myself and Rawr. The child sees him bounding through the air and releases another piercing scream. The scream sends my adrenaline running and everything comes into a clear focus. I manage to catch the dog by the throat with my dagger before he can do any harm. There is a brief whimper and the force of his now limp body slams into me. Unprepared for this, I begin to teeter. Doing my best to stay on my feet, I fail to notice the lunge of the other dog until I feel sharp teeth piercing the cloth on my arm left arm. Pain instantly registers through my body, but before there is time to react a bundle of bear fur is before my eyes and the second dog is pushed off of me by the claws and bite of Rawr, who quickly mangles the dog in a show of ferocity.

Rawr lifts his head into the air and releases a massive roar at the remainder of the pack, blood and skin dripping from his red painted muzzle.

[sblock]Defy danger
5 + 6 + 1 + 1(bear cunning for intimidating tag) = 13
[/sblock]

The dogs look down at the dog food that was their alphas and quickly scatter like so many sticks to the wind.

Tecklenburg

Explorer
These two brats, twin brothers Malgelir and Gwenchon Beretheil, are representing the Beretheil family; which are an ambitious lot seeking political advancement within the walls of Leuthilspar. They both are cowards.

Stepping away from my fellow students as they care for her, I turn to address the twins without malice:

“Murder and a Fool!?! Our companion, our fellow student in arms, is slain by our Master because it was believed that he was to weak to continue the trials, that he would inevitably bring dishonor to our ranks. You call me the murderer while you watch our brother in arms slaughtered. I am not guilty of being a fool or a murderer. I am guilty of following my heart’s call to protect the weak from the wicked. If you fail to see that, then you too will follow our former Master and break upon the rocks below.”

With both hands resting at ease on my belt, I look them both in their eyes and await their move...

[SBLOCK]Parley (2d6 + CHA)

3,5 +1 = 9

Leverage: They are both cowards and will not risk forfeiting their lives when their family namesake and the riches that await them could be lost to them. In addition, they witnessed what happened to the Master which magnifies this reasoning even more.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat:

They demand you swear a blood oath right now:

1) You will submit to the will of the elders and let them determine your fate.

2) If your innocence is upheld, you will accept your peer's nomination (they all agree to it) that you will be elevated to the rank of Master and train this generation of Eldritch Warriors in the art of Arcane Bladework.

I swear the blood oath...

@Tecklenburg

The parlay was successful. We'll close out the scene.

I need you to answer a few questions and flesh out some backstory. From this, derive your 4th Bond and update your character.

1) Was the Master truly slain? If not, what became of him?

2) What became of the girl you rescued?

3) What became of the Eladrin nobles who castigated you initially but relented under the weight of your words?

4) Did the Elders exonerate you and accept the nominations of your peers? If so, what transpired afterward with respect to (a) your training of them and (b) the battle to come against the Unseelie Fey and the Fomorians?

or

Did the Elders indict you? If so, what was your punishment (for example; 25 years exile in solitary patrol of the Borderlands)? Who rose to the rank of Master and trained the Eldritch Warriors of your people and what was the military fallout from it?

@Binks

Your rescue of the female, human child was successful. We'll close out the scene.

I need you to answer a few questions and flesh out some backstory. From this, derive your 4th Bond and update your character.

1) Why was the female, human child that you rescued by herself in such dangerous and remote territory?

2) What become of her and the settlement her people carved out in these harsh lands.

3) The creature you were trailing down into the deep dark of the ravine and into the underdark. Did you find out what it was? Did your prioritzation of the safety of the girl over the hunt of this creature cost you or anyone else?

The present day...

Its the dead of winter. You've been watching over a local settlement at the base of a majestic, wintry peak for some time. Very recently, they've inexplicably lost contact with their sister settlement that resides in the alpine grasslands and tundra on a beautiful and grand lake, a half day's trek above the treeline. Its been a month since they've had contact.

This winter has been extremely harsh, and the remote mountain pass to the alpine lands above the treeline has been nigh-impassable. The team that was sent to brave these harsh wilds and investigate the lack of contact didn't return. This would not have been out of the ordinary...except for one small thing. Your eavesdropping/recon yielded the intel that animals have been coming down from the highlands to attack the lowland settlers. Herbivores and carnivores alike. Packs of wild dogs, alongside goats, alongside bears, alongside deer.

You've just exited the subalpine zone. The treeline is tight to your back and the world falls away at a steep grade the way you came. The two cliff faces that make up the borders of the narrow pass tower over you like silent sentinels. The wind whips wildly with the moaning regret of restless spirits. Dead before you it is clear to see what became of the team. Camping supplies are scattered everywhere. A frozen, blue arm sticks out at an awkward angle under the crushing weight of an avalanche that utterly blocks the pass (and looks dangerously unstable to boot!).

What are you guys doing?

* I'll upload a map sometime in the coming days.

Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
1) Why was the female, human child that you rescued by herself in such dangerous and remote territory?

2) What become of her and the settlement her people carved out in these harsh lands.

3) The creature you were trailing down into the deep dark of the ravine and into the underdark. Did you find out what it was? Did your prioritzation of the safety of the girl over the hunt of this creature cost you or anyone else?

The sounds of that night still haunt me. Its not the sounds of the fight or the pathetic whimpering of the dogs I was forced to slay that I speak of, but the sounds of the child as the last of the pack faded into the distance. She didn't speak for a long time and I didn't try to make her. After making a small fire in a cave, we went to a small brook to clean the blood off that covered her. As she watched the red drip into the water and disperse as if it was never there, she revealed that the blood she was watching fade away was that of her brother's. The prior day the two of them and her father had headed out from their village for her and her brother to forage roots and herbs while their father hunted. Their efforts were fruitful and they headed back to their village, looking forward to that long awaited night of full, happy bellies. It was dusk by the time they got back to their village, a time when people should be chattering and smells of dinner filling the air. All that welcomed them was empty silence. The father sensed something amiss and signaled for the children to await at the edge of the forest while he went into investigate. The next they heard from him was his screams in the distance. The sounds of the dogs followed. Picking up the children's scent from the father was easy for them and they obediently followed their orders to hunt the owners of the scents down. Her brother protected her as long as he could, using everything their father taught them to hide their scent, but after being fatally wounded he knew his only recourse was to use himself as a distraction in the hope that she might live. He gave her one last hug, his life's blood spilling onto her from the wounds on his marred left arm, said his goodbyes and then he was just gone.

I found an elderly couple at a nearby settlement that would take her in. Her presence has bonded me to that settlement, consequently it is the only place outside of the forest that I would now call home. My bond to her and that place is because of those sounds she made that night. I need to make sure she never has to make them again.

I don't know what became of the creature I was tracking when I first saw her, but it is my belief that the creature is related to the attack upon the village that night.

My 4th bond is going to be:

I am bound by solemn oath to protect Giliad's Rest.

Giliad's Rest is the name of the settlement at the base of the mountain where the little girl was taken in. It is named after the long-since-passed founder of the settlement.

The present day...

Its the dead of winter. You've been watching over a local settlement at the base of a majestic, wintry peak for some time. Very recently, they've inexplicably lost contact with their sister settlement that resides in the alpine grasslands and tundra on a beautiful and grand lake, a half day's trek above the treeline. Its been a month since they've had contact.

This winter has been extremely harsh, and the remote mountain pass to the alpine lands above the treeline has been nigh-impassable. The team that was sent to brave these harsh wilds and investigate the lack of contact didn't return. This would not have been out of the ordinary...except for one small thing. Your eavesdropping/recon yielded the intel that animals have been coming down from the highlands to attack the lowland settlers. Herbivores and carnivores alike. Packs of wild dogs, alongside goats, alongside bears, alongside deer.

You've just exited the subalpine zone. The treeline is tight to your back and the world falls away at a steep grade the way you came. The two cliff faces that make up the borders of the narrow pass tower over you like silent sentinels. The wind whips wildly with the moaning regret of restless spirits. Dead before you it is clear to see what became of the team. Camping supplies are scattered everywhere. A frozen, blue arm sticks out at an awkward angle under the crushing weight of an avalanche that utterly blocks the pass (and looks dangerously unstable to boot!).

I pull my scarf from my face and expose my nose and mouth. My breath is clouds of cold and the frigid air on my face is exhilarating. I keep my distance from the avalanche and look to the the earth, to the sky, and finally to the great cliffs to determine our current state and our next move.

[sblock]Discern Realities + 2. Rolled 3. 2 + 3 = 5.

6- and Marked 1 XP.[/sblock]

Complication per Manbearcat:

Neither the earth nor the cliffs give up their mysteries, but the sky surely does. The sky portends an ominous storm on the horizon before you. Great carrion birds begin to circle. I note that the corpse has not been picked as of yet. I know where there are carrion birds on these mountains, the greater scavengers will inevitably make their appearance...and soon. "The heart-renders", Peryton's as called by the local huntsman, part wolf and part eagle, will not be far behind.​

Without turning to Otthor, I say to my elven companion:

"This is your sixth season in these lands with me and your second winter, my friend. You have learned much. Are these death's fresh or old? Is the snowpack trustworthy or treacherous? Have we cause to fear that storm.?

Tell me what you see."

[sblock]Aid Otthor. 2 bonds. Rolled 8. 8 + 2 is 10.[/sblock]

[MENTION=6781356]Tecklenburg[/MENTION] , you take + 1 for your Discern Realities.

Tecklenburg

Explorer
@Tecklenburg

The parlay was successful. We'll close out the scene.

1) Was the Master truly slain? If not, what became of him?

2) What became of the girl you rescued?

3) What became of the Eladrin nobles who castigated you initially but relented under the weight of your words?

4) Did the Elders exonerate you and accept the nominations of your peers? If so, what transpired afterward with respect to (a) your training of them and (b) the battle to come against the Unseelie Fey and the Fomorians?

or

Did the Elders indict you? If so, what was your punishment (for example; 25 years exile in solitary patrol of the Borderlands)? Who rose to the rank of Master and trained the Eldritch Warriors of your people and what was the military fallout from it?

Otthor and the two Elven nobles retrieved the Master’s body.

Felonia Elerelon recovered mentally and physically; however, she did not continue her studies under the Arcane Duelist track but went on to graduate from the Warrior ranks. Otthor and herself continue a good friendship. She was visiting a friend in the Crossroads when Otthor left Evermeet.

Malgelir and Gwenchon Beretheil continued their studies with Otthor; however, due to their nobility they serve in a reserve capacity in the AD ranks. Their primary position in Evermeet is political, Malgelir’s focus is on foreign relations and Gwenchon manages the acsent of his family’s name within the political hierarchy in Evermeet.

The Elders did exonerate Otthor; however, they did not accept the nominations. Their collective reasoning chose another seasoned officer within the AD ranks to lead and train the next Eldritch Warriors. The new Master possessed all of the formers knowledge, martial skills and discipline, but also applied measured compassion with her students. As a result, no negative impact on the military became from this transition. The war with the Unseelie Fey and Formorians continue to be waged in small skirmishes. They continue to test our outer defenses but we anticipate them to grow more bold in the future. Several Elders want a preemptive strike on these bastards while other Elders want to continue a more defensive posture. There is extensive debate at their meetings!

My 4th bond will be:

I will pursue the lost art of the Bladesinger.

The knowledge of the art was lost when the last remaining Masters were slain or believed missing when the two worlds merged. It is believed that ancient lore via texts or artifacts may provide the missing link to help restore the lost art.

The present day...

This winter has been extremely harsh, and the remote mountain pass to the alpine lands above the treeline has been nigh-impassable. The team that was sent to brave these harsh wilds and investigate the lack of contact didn't return. This would not have been out of the ordinary...except for one small thing. Your eavesdropping/recon yielded the Intel that animals have been coming down from the highlands to attack the lowland settlers. Herbivores and carnivores alike. Packs of wild dogs, alongside goats, alongside bears, alongside deer.

You've just exited the sub alpine zone. The treeline is tight to your back and the world falls away at a steep grade the way you came. The two cliff faces that make up the borders of the narrow pass tower over you like silent sentinels. The wind whips wildly with the moaning regret of restless spirits. Dead before you it is clear to see what became of the team. Camping supplies are scattered everywhere. A frozen, blue arm sticks out at an awkward angle under the crushing weight of an avalanche that utterly blocks the pass (and looks dangerously unstable to boot!).

What are you guys doing?

[Sblock]Discern Realities
1,5+1 = 7
What here is not what it appears to be?[/Sblock]

Last edited:

What here is not what it appears to be?

Something about this place reminds you of one of those Fomorian raids on the borderlands of your Feywild home. This place comes off as a serene, benign and welcoming wilderness. However, the truth just below the surface is the maliciousness of mother nature. There is a reason that the human hasn't been picked at by the carrion birds. They know something.

As you examine the snow-pack, slight tremors in your feet and subtle shifts in the icy, hardened snow reveal a terrible truth. This avalanche is not at rest. It is looking for the tiniest of opportunities to continue its route down the mountain...and it could go at any moment with even the slightest of nudging. The path up into these territories will be blocked until Spring when it does.

Deadly snowpack ready to give way.

Dangerous but climbable cliffs flanking the pass...which would make you vulnerable to predators from above.

A gathering blizzard not far into the interior.

The welcoming way back...but a hard climb and the threat of avalanche at your back...and the promise that you'll not venture back here until Spring.

What are our elven heroes Otthor and Saerie doing?

Tecklenburg

Explorer
Something about this place reminds you of one of those Fomorian raids on the borderlands of your Feywild home. This place comes off as a serene, benign and welcoming wilderness. However, the truth just below the surface is the maliciousness of mother nature. There is a reason that the human hasn't been picked at by the carrion birds. They know something.

As you examine the snow-pack, slight tremors in your feet and subtle shifts in the icy, hardened snow reveal a terrible truth. This avalanche is not at rest. It is looking for the tiniest of opportunities to continue its route down the mountain...and it could go at any moment with even the slightest of nudging. The path up into these territories will be blocked until Spring when it does.

Deadly snowpack ready to give way.

Dangerous but climbable cliffs flanking the pass...which would make you vulnerable to predators from above.

A gathering blizzard not far into the interior.

The welcoming way back...but a hard climb and the threat of avalanche at your back...and the promise that you'll not venture back here until Spring.

What are our elven heroes Otthor and Saerie doing?

This second winter is horribly cold and wet. The later creating the most mischief with my resolve; however, I find my resolve renewed at the possibility of great adventure. The life of a warrior poet on a whim of a journey.

With my face wrapped tightly in a wool shawl, "The snow here is teetering on the edge of ruin. If we try to recover them... We will bring down the entire face of this cliff. I suggest we not tarry and move quickly through this area."

[sblock]Defy Danger
1,3+2 = 6 Failure +1 Exp
1d12dmg rolled 8[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases