The Fey, the Far, and the Ugly Space In Between

Tecklenburg

Explorer
The winds slow to an uncomfortable winter breeze as people stir to their feet but vocalize only the anxious release of held breaths. The tremendous updrafts relinquish and the hammering sleet turns to more gentle flakes. The world of the mountain is shrouded in little more than twilight when it should be sunny. Old Man Winter and his dark mood hasn't played itself out quite yet...

[sblock]You guys are going to have to defy some BRRRRR danger.[/sblock]

With the freezing cold, the bitter wind, and the sun-obscuring clouds closing in on us all, I pick myself up from the snowy ground that I find myself holding onto after things truly went to hell. I say a few arcane words and touch the blade of my fine elven steel.

[sblock]Cast a Spell (Int) Light
4, 4 + 3 = 11

An item you touch glows with arcane light, about as bright as a torch. It gives off no heat or sound and requires no fuel, but it is otherwise like a mundane torch. You have complete control of the color of the flame. The spell lasts as long as it is in your presence.[/sblock]

With the glow of my sword being an obvious beacon and a source of light for everyone to follow, I move with purpose to the three men on the ground and the boy behind them. I quickly reach my hand out to each of the three men to help them to their feet.

Per Manbearcat
Each of them take it in turn, rising to shaky feet and looking a bit stupefied by all of this. The fury that possessed them before has fully fled, replaced by puzzlement and trembling fear.

None speak.

I give each of them a firm nod after I pull them to their feet. With a caring, friendly tone, I simply say "...that thing that you saw...that is coming for all of us. You must get your people off this mountain and to safety."

After I've picked the last of them up, my stride moves more aggressively to the boy who is picking himself up off the ground. I'm going to grab him by his heavy cloak and tear the Far Realm motif clasp from it, throw it to the ground and stamp on it hard. I take a fistful of cloak and pull him off his feet face to face with me. Does he resist?

Per Manbearcat
He does not. He is slightly shaken from the horror of what he just beheld, therefore a little wobbly.

I scrunch my nose at him and look at him with poison in my eyes. I turn and drag him to the two dead hunters that Saerie and I were forced to slay. I shout in his face. "Get a good look at them! YOU did this. YOU. I spared your life and you repay that gift with the blood of innocent men. No doubt there are children in this clan that are now fatherless!"

I toss him to the ground and point to where the portal was.

"That thing you saw on the other side of the tear in our world. That is YOUR GOD, young man. A corrupter of all things beautiful. Indifferent to notions of justice, heroism, innocence. Ranyon Argoth filled your head with destructive lies and you have too few years and not enough backbone to have realized it."

I pick him up to his feet while the men look on.

My voice is back to a normal volume and cadence. "Your youth has now earned you two reprieves. You will not get a third. You best make good use of this final pardon. Help get these people off this mountain."

I give him a hearty shove on the back toward the left cave where all the people of the clans are. Hopefully there is a way to access the middle cave there and we don't have to dig out the avalanche. I turn to Three Bird. "We need to get everyone out of this cold and quick. Can you and the barbarian men convince and organize the clans to start an emergency withdrawal from the mountain? Saerie and I will free the slaves, find the refugees, salvage what we can, and speak to the boy. Your wife said Ranyon Argoth took him with him when he was last seen at the tower. The boy will know something of value, I think."

Per Manbearcat
Exel and Xanob are rushing over from the site of the skirmish. The field of tentacles has faded into nothingness but they keep off where they were nonetheless.

Three Bird responds in the affirmative as he looks at the barbarian men picking themselves up. Two of their numbers are dead or gravely wounded such that his life-force will be quenched soon enough. The Druid shakes his head as he regards the boy you brought over and unleashed a relentless scolding upon. "It is amazing how vulnerable weak men are to foolish beliefs. It is also amazing how many weak men walk amongst us. But we lost only a few to their many. The World Serpent's wrath ultimately keeps the scales favoring the strong. Boy, go help them bring the injured inside so he may die amongst warmth and in the embrace of loved ones."

He turns back to you and Saerie.

"The left cave hooks into the central cave but not the right. The trail up the mountain and down the mountain, may Stoneroot bless our travels, are both next to that right cave that you will be entering. Let us find some warmth, do what we must do, and I will see you in...an hour?"

I clasp his hand and wrist. "Thank you for this."

As I turn to Saerie, a shiver settles over my body as my boiling blood cools after my anger at the boy has worn off. I can feel the weakness of the Sahuagin bite still possesses me. I pull my cloaks cowl over my head and wrap myself tight. "Let us get to that cave," I say as I nod toward the near right opening into the mountain and start trotting in that direction.

[sblock]Defy Danger (Con)
3, 6 + 1 (-1 ongoing) = 9

Success but a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
As you guys trot off toward the cave, you can feel the persistent cold. It is bone-chilling. And relentless. Unfortunately, you get the sense that it won't be letting up anytime soon. Your trek up the mountain to the tower is going to be harassed by it, no doubt.

Go ahead and add what you wish and make your DD vs the cold Saerie. I'll move things forward after.

Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
Per Manbearcat
As you guys trot off toward the cave, you can feel the persistent cold. It is bone-chilling. And relentless. Unfortunately, you get the sense that it won't be letting up anytime soon. Your trek up the mountain to the tower is going to be harassed by it, no doubt.

Go ahead and add what you wish and make your DD vs the cold Saerie. I'll move things forward after.

I'll sheathe my weapons, put my own cowl over my head, pull my cloak tight and lean into Rawr's warmth.

[sblock]Defy Danger (Con)
5, 4 + 1 (+ 1 Cold Amulet) = 11[/sblock]

Together, we'll follow Otthor's magically imbued blade, watching him give full weight to his ire. I feel the same way but he has shown a propensity to "let it go" now and again in our travels, whereas I'm a bit more cornered and quiet. It is his way. It is probably more constructive than my own as he at least puts his anger to use when I would just bottle it. The men naturally fall in line and it is not just because of his display of prowess in battle.

Lucky comes up to me somewhere in the midst of things, a few arrows is his mouth. I take them from him and give him a loving smile and pat on his head. Though he is merely a spirit, I can almost feel his fur.

[sblock]Animal Companion gives me back 1 expended Ammo after combat.[/sblock]

When Otthor is ready, I'll accompany him to the right tunnel. I'll make note of possible supplies that we can salvage for our journey up the peak toward the obsidian tower. I'll let Otthor do the salvaging while I free the refugees and other slaves, debrief them on what is happening, and talk to the young boy so he can tell me what he witnessed when Ranyon Argoth never returned from their last trip to the tower. At the beginning of the journey, the Winter Wolf said that members of their pack were entranced by shifting glyphs and a voice from the tower. He said that there didn't seem to be an entrance. There must be one if Argoth was able to transit it.

[sblock]Aid (Otthor)
1, 2 + 2 = 5

Mark 1 xp[/sblock]

Ack! Let us know what we find in the cave and what kind of trouble I get us into!

Ack! Let us know what we find in the cave and what kind of trouble I get us into!

Nothing too bad. The cave winds to the left, inward in a counterclockwise direction, spiraling to its terminating point. Here it spills out into a claustrophobic cave (6 ft ceilings) the size of a Great Room (maybe 20 * 30 or 600 SF). The room is very dimly lit by a trio of lowlander lanterns; Two on the walls and one on a central table. Only the one on the table is in use. Ten pens with primitive locks, probably initially used for housing animals, align the walls. There the forced laborers reside. In the middle are a set of benches which flank the table. On the table are raw materials, some mended items, and tools. It appears that their primary toils are mending cloaks/furs/clothes, fabricating crude stone tools (scrapers, spades, and their own tools for mending), and making rope. There is also a few stray pieces of climbing gear; spurs, spikes, a battered grapnel, snow shoes. They’re all in bad condition and look like they were meant to be mended but have been put on the backburner.

[sblock]Take – 1 to your Salvage move Otthor.[/sblock]

Everyone is kept in separate pens. It appears they were quickly locked into their pens before the taskmasters left. The little boy is obvious as he is the only curious one, sitting at the front of the pen, holding the bars and looking outward as you enter. The mother is the only female here and she is far away from the boy. She beseeches him to get back when you enter the room. The father, the only other that speaks up, addresses you with a simple, pathetic “…please.” The rest of the pens appear to be indentured servants from this clan, likely here for one indiscretion/crime or another. All of them are underfed. Besides the boy, they all shrink back in unison and behold you with wary eyes. They would have surely felt and heard the avalanche and likely heard the fighting and the Fireballs.

Binks

Explorer
As I take in the padlocked cages and the tortured faces within, I look for keys either haphazardly dropped on the table or hung on the wall. I really don't want to go back outside and deal with the deep freeze anymore than I have to as my aching bones are beginning to thaw. I'm hoping that they aren't on the fricasseed corpses of the Taskmasters.

Once you let me know if they're here or outside, I"ll update this post...

Per Manbearcat
Keyring is on the table with only two keys. One key has a rough pictorial of a cage scrawled on it while the other has a rough pictorial of a manacle. The benches have a series of manacles hooked to the floor under them. Obviously this is a pair of skeleton keys.

I'll grab them while Otthor is doing his introduction in the below post. Then I'll get in my pack and quickly grab 10 of the 21 Dungeon Rations I have. I'll neatly lay them out on the table, 1 portion for each person. They're going to need a meal's worth of energy to take on the hard trek down the mountain path. Is there enough cold weather gear for these ten amongst the mended furs and clothes here?

Per Manbearcat
In this storm? Not likely. There is enough for each of them to have some extra breeches and a tunic, ill fitting both, but that is it. That won't prevent hypothermia for a days long trip down a mountain in a winter storm.

I'm sure the clans have more. Especially now that their numbers are fewer... I'll talk to Three Bird about securing enough gear for these folks.

When Otthor nods to me, I step forward. I place the extra breeches and tunics in front of each cage, matching them up to the size of the person the best I can. Once that is done, I'll set about moving to unlock the cages as I address them.

"No doubt you have heard the fighting." <click goes a lock>

"As you can see, we come as liberators." <click goes a lock>

"Amongst your people there has been a festering disease for some time." <click goes a lock>

"That disease has ended today." <click goes a lock>

"Ranyon Argoth's Far Realm worshipping cult will no longer infest your people." <click goes a lock>

"Unfortunately..." <click goes a lock>

"Although he and his wicked followers are gone, his pestilence has poisoned this land... <click goes a lock>

"Which means that everyone has to leave... <click goes a lock>

"Within the hour." <click goes a lock>

"Fear not. Your wise and powerful druid Three Bird and his circle will lead you safely down the mountain to Giliad's Rest." <click goes a lock>

With the final lock opened, I'll stand back. "Have no fear. Come out, put on these clothes, and get some food in your bellies. Given how hard your lives have been as of late, I suspect the day's travel will seem an easy thing to you."

Per Manbearcat
Slowly but surely, each of them come out, take the clothes and migrate toward the table where you have placed the rations. All but the refugee family. They huddle together, sob quietly, and just hold each other. The mother and the father each intermittently mouth "thank you" to you. Both of them are battered, bruised and bloody. The father likely has a horribly fractured orbital socket as one eye is grotesquely swollen shut.

I smile softly, give them their space and try to hold back a tear.

I walk up to Otthor, get close and whisper to him. "Please go see Three Bird. These people are not provisioned for such a journey. I'm afraid many, or none at all, would make it in this state with such lack of preparedness. See what he can do, my friend. If nothing can be done about it then I'm afraid they would be better off staying behind..."

After about fifteen minutes of everyone eating, I'll sit with the refugee family from World's End Bluff so I can talk to them and find out what their boy knows.

We can handle that tomorrow.

Last edited:

Tecklenburg

Explorer
Because I know she is far too humble to properly introduce herself, I will make sure these poor souls understand who is addressing them. I walk a circuit around the exterior of the room with my magically imbued blade shedding light on the gloom-shrouded faces in the cages. I'll motion toward Saerie and Rawr's position with my hand as I address the group.

"Before you stands Saerie Woodwalker, elite Ranger of the Feywild's Summer Court. In your lives, a decade is a very long time. She was dispatched some ten years ago to investigate a possible Far Realm invasion into your world. She and her loyal companion (motioning to Rawr who is no doubt very prominent) have spent this time protecting the people of Giliad's Rest and the surrounding area."

When I get some looks of recognition, I'll stop. "Good. You know of her. That makes this easy."

With that, I'll turn to Saerie and give her a nod. I'll then leisurely stroll to the table that she pointed out and see what I might find that will aid our journey while she debriefs this group and talks to the child.

[sblock]When you search for stuff you need in a place that just might have it, roll + Int. On a 10 +, you gain 3 hold. On a 7-9, you gain 1 hold but your search also turns up something you wish you hadn't found. Your GM will tell you what. Spend hold 1 for 1:

* 1 use of Adventuring Gear
* 1 use of Dungeon Rations
* 1 Ammo

Salvage (Int)
1, 5 + 3 (take - 1) = 8

1 hold spent on 1 Adventuring Gear.[/sblock]

While Saerie is talking, I coil a small bundle of rope, grab some thick scarves, and some snow shoes that might be helpful. I tuck them and tie them to my pack.

SAERIE

The young boy sits on his mother's lap as he eats. She holds him around the waist and runs her hand through his hair as she looks at him lovingly. With little notice, he abruptly looks up from his meal of dried meat and quietly says "I know what you want to know. The World Serpent visited me in my sleep. He talked in my mind. He said that someone would come to stop this man that is hurting me and my family. He said to not be afraid...to go with him to the tower and to remember what the man says and does there. Remember for the someone that will come."

He looks around, leans in and whispers a few gobbledeegook words, enunciating very carefully. It must be language because it is too precise with repeat syllables. In the midst of the words he invokes the name Pisaethces. The boy then leans back and pantomimes slitting his own throat. He falls backward, eyes rolling up in his head, feigning death. He opens them and says; "The tower took him."

OTTHOR

We'll handle things on your post if you go to the other cave to speak to Three Bird or get supplies.

Tecklenburg

Explorer
When Saerie requests that I go check on Three Bird and our prospects for provisions for the poor folk of this cave, I pull my hood back on and close my cloak around me, leaving my weapon arm out so the light of my sword can guide me in the mid-day, wintry gloom.

Per Manbearcat
Your blade's light is sufficient to get you to the cave safely and in relatively short order. The robust crunch beneath your boots betrays the reality that even in this small period of time, the snow has gathered a fair amount.

When you enter the cave, you find that there are several women and children milling about. However, they don't seem to be preparing for a mass exodus. The setup is there is a main, winding avenue with "pod caves" for each family every so often off this primary cave. They are covered by goat/other animal skin curtains hung from ceiling anchors. Some of them have beautifully intricate dye jobs or paintings adorning them. A trail of fresh blood leads to the first one where the soon-to-be-dead hunter is being attended to by his family.

The women and children shrink to the sides of the hall as you enter/move through, quickly ferrying their awe-stricken children along.

The sound of heated argument from deeper in echoes through the chamber.

I'll leave the family to their quiet grieving.

Not preparing for exodus, eh? That is disconcerting.

I pull my hood back to reveal my face and do my best to soften it for these people. But I won't address them. I'll let them be and continue straight for the sounds of the argument.

Per Manbearcat
The raised voices are easy to follow and this thoroughfare forks only once. One fork, moving off to your right in the direction of the buried cave entrance, is all quiet, while the other route is a tempest of noise.

The first clear voice you can hear is a collected, venom-spitting, serpent-like thing. Surely produced by the lungs of a calculating man. "You bring outlanders to our door, fight with them against our people, threaten us with vague omens, and demand that we take flight from our home? You confuse us with cowards and fools, druid. The spirits do not pay heed to your pleas and neither do we!"

As you enter the room, a raucous rumble of support is like a wave washing over the room, its point of origin being from behind the large man who is towering over Three Bird. The man is a bare-chested leopard, tall, lithe, and muscled, wearing only breeches. A leather strap crossing his chest holds a serrated, well-worn greatsword. His bare feet grip the stone like a predator waiting to launch upon prey. His head is not-quite clean shaven and his beard is wild and woolly. It is very cold in these tunnels. The fire in the hearth across this large common room does little to staunch that. He doesn't seem to mind.

There is a group of 15-20 barbarian men behind him, all grim-faced and committed to obstinance. The few surviving, recruited hunters, Exel and Xanob, and the boy behind Three Bird look small and insignificant by comparison.

When you enter the room, the raucousness dims immediately and there are a few intakes of breath heard. The huge man takes his right hand and, not-so-softly moves Three Bird from his sight-line to fully take you in.

Let us pick this up later.

Picking this back up...

I look from the man briefly and then to the men beyond him. I look at my drawn blade with the enchantment of light upon it. "A glorified torch to repel the winter gloom" I say aloud and then sheathe the weapon.

I nod at any of the men who have foght alongside me who might be looking at me. I then say to the room in general:

"I was hoping to gain some provisions for the kin and refugees you have kept like dogs in the far cave. I was hoping to see a community, no longer under the thrall of a madman and his cult, express its newly found freedom in the most sensible way possible. By leaving this place before the terror of the black tower can be unleashed upon it."

I look down and slide the toes of a boot against the cold stone floor, feeling out the footing. "I guess I'm to be disappointed, yes?"

Per Manbearcat
The stalking-leopard-man steps forward beyond Three Bird. The huntsmen you fought with reflexively step back even though he hasn't neared them yet.

"You have murdered many men today, 'small one.' Do you deny that?" Steadily but slowly stalking toward you. You can see the whites of his eyes.

I'm relaxed here, hands free from the pommel of my sword. "My people reserve your word 'murder' for unjustified killing and always off the field of battle. No murder has taken place today."

Per Manbearcat
Slowly stalking in. Your allies all give a wide breadth, even Exel and Xanob...though not because they are fearful for themselves. You can see the gleam in their eyes. They are expecting a beautiful offering to Kord.

"Word games are for cowards who cannot use their hands to defend themselves. That avalanche that buried one of our caves will take a week to dig out. Where does that labor come from? Not from weakling hands." He nods to your hands as he continues to stalk in. "Nothing is free in the highlands."

Still stalking. The air is thick with the anxiety and excitement of 20+ quickening heartbeats.

I think to myself we don't have time for this. I then say it out loud, slowly shaking my head, but quietly.

"We don't have time for this."

Looking beyond the stalking man to the fools behind him, I address them. "This is not what I want but you seem to have an insatiable bloodthirst you need to slake. If I slay this man, will you step in line behind Three Bird and leave this mountain or do I have to slay some of you as well?"

[sblock]I'm setting up leverage for a Parley move. I'll roll it after I've accrued the leverage of gaining their respect, hopefully, from the outcome of this duel.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
Got it.

Unsurprisingly they don't respond and they just look on, excitedly anticipating what is to come.

Also unsurprisingly, the man unleashes like a coiled snake, weapon flying free from his back as he flies through the air. He looks to finish this with a killing stroke right off the bat as the blade comes from the sheathed position in an arc meant to split you in two.

Reach range so you're going to have to Defy Danger.

I roll underneath his arc greatsword, closing the distance between us, and drawing my blade.

[sblock]Defy Danger (Dex)
6, 1 + 2 = 9

Success but a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
You masterfully somersault under the huge sword and your blade is in your hand, lighting up the battlefield convieniently for the onlookers. But your foe lands with authority and speed. His long arms grant him extraordinary reach. He grabs for your cloak to draw you in close and pummel you to death.

If he gets his hands on you, "you're gonna have a bad time." You can allow the man to close it to Hand range and start a grapple or you can avoid it, but if you do you take -1 armor to any immediate damage (from a melee exchange or a defy danger) resulting from your next move.

I'll briefly make myself vulnerable to any counterattack to avoid a grapple and maintain Close range.

Ducking under the man's reach, I'll spin toward his flank and weave sword and spell together.

[sblock]Master's Bladework (Int)
2, 3 + 3 = 8

d8 damage, 2 techniques, and counterattack on me. 8 damage - 2 armor = 6 damage to him.

Burst: Your attack deals an additional 1d4 damage and gains the ‘forceful’ tag. 3 damage to him.

Torrential: Your attack ends with a flurry of strikes that your opponent must dedicate effort to blocking or avoiding. If they instead attack you in response to your attack, deal your damage again (this does not apply techniques).

Counterattack on me:
(b[2d10]+2 damage) and 1 piercing. 1, 7 + 2 = 9 - 1 armor. 8 damage to me and Forceful tag.

Torrential Counterattack: d8 damage. 4 - 2 armor = 2 damage to him.[/sblock]

I'd like to use my Forceful to throw this guy back off of me. Out to Near range if possible. Also, now that I've crossed swords with this guy...

[sblock]The Riddle of Steel + 1 to Discern Realities (Wis)
4, 3 + 1 = 8

* What is this person about to do? + 1 forward when acting on it.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
The two Forceful tags combined will achieve that Near range.

The speed, precision, technique, grace, and brutality of the exchange would be something spectacular to behold you are sure of it. An uncountable number of flurries and parries in a short span leaves you now separated from each other by some 30 feet. But while he is nearer the center of the room, you are literally a pace away from the stone wall. The stone wall adorned with musk deer stag heads and a tangle of deadly antlers (1d8 damage).

He sets his feet, grabs his blade in both hands, hefts it over his head and chucks it end over end at you with amazing ferocity and precision. Worse still, his posture tells you that he is (recklessly) coming full throttle behind it, looking to smash you into that wall (and those antlers) you're next to.

Can I intercept the blade with Wind Slash, hopefully destroying it and sending the shrapnell upon him as he darts behind it?

Per Manbearcat
Sure. That sounds pretty aweseome. Roll your dice and let's see what happens. If you destroy it, roll 1d4 environmental damage to him, armor applies. If you end up dealing damage to him as a result, and you decide to avoid his rush completely with a DD, you can take +1 to it as the shrapnel field blinds him momentarily.

[sblock]Wind Slash (Int) on the greatsword
5, 2 + 3 (+1 forward from TRoS) = 11

d8 damage and 1 technique. 4 damage.

Burst: Your attack deals an additional 1d4 damage and gains the ‘forceful’ tag. 2 damage. Sword destroyed.

d4 environmental damage, no armor. 3 damage - 2 armor = 1 damage to him.

Bladesong (Int)
2, 2 + 3 = 7

1 Bladesong for:

* Void Note - Teleport somewhere nearby within your line of sight.
* Guarded Flourish - When you have no weapon or shield in your offhand and you take damage, take + 2 armor.
* Blade Crescendo - When you deal damage to an enemy within your melee weapon's range, gain 2 piercing.[/sblock]

When my blades of cutting air rend the steel of the man's weapon, it makes a terrible sound that echoes off the walls of the chamber. The melody of my kin's ancient battlesong envelops me, body and soul.

[sblock]I want to spend my 1 Bladesong on Void Note.[/sblock]

At the very last second I teleport a few feet to the left as the man bears down on me through the blinding shrapnel field of what once was his trusted blade!

Per Manbearcat
His hands are up guarding his face from the shrapnel of his ruined sword. Nonetheless, you can still see his eyes go wide as you momentarily remove yourself from this world and reappear a few feet away.

The moment is too late and his momentum is too great.

[sblock]Roll 1d8 environmental damage for the antlers[/sblock]

[sblock]d8 damage on the barbarian. 5 - 2 = 3 damage. Dead.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
Exel and Xanobs' near squeels of delight are the only thing to break the collective groan of the crowd at the grotesque sight of the man impaling himself on a dozen (or more) antlers. His broken body just hangs there awkwardly as blood pools heavily at the base of the wall.

I turn slowly and look blankly at the men who were behind him. "Can we now be done with this? Get your people together and make extra preprations for your travel. A nasty storm is building out there."

[sblock]Parley (Cha)

Leverage: The terror or respect I just instilled in them after I slew their champion.

4, 2 + 1 = 7

They will do what you ask, but need some concrete assurance of your promise, right now.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
Looks like we aren't done yet!

While everyone else turns timid and is utterly cowed by your display, two stout objectors abruptly break from the crowd and rush you with a unified roar of outrage. They have no weapons, but they've got brawn and rage to burn. Your battle-honed perception easily unravels the tale embedded in their movements. They bear nothing of the might and athleticism of the titan you just took down. Nonetheless, if the two of them get on top of you, it won't be easy getting them off.

Let us pick this up later.

Last edited:

Tecklenburg

Explorer
Per Manbearcat
While everyone else turns timid and is utterly cowed by your display, two stout objectors abruptly break from the crowd and rush you with a unified roar of outrage. They have no weapons, but they've got brawn and rage to burn. Your battle-honed perception easily unravels the tale embedded in their movements. They bear nothing of the might and athleticism of the titan you just took down. Nonetheless, if the two of them get on top of you, it won't be easy getting them off.

I mutter "...very well..." and draw upon blades of cutting air to fell one of my two new foes who is trying to close the distance between us.

[sblock]Wind Slash (Int)
2, 3 + 3 = 8

1d8 damage and 1 technique. 5 - 0 armor = 5 damage. Dead.

Soul-Siphoning: Your attack heals you for 1d4. Heal 1d8 instead if this attack kills your target. 5 HP returned to me.

I'll take danger as my complication.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
Your blade cuts the air with deadly intent and the extended reach of its reverberations fells one of your foes. Nethermantic magic draws upon his ebbing life force, revitalizing you.

The sounds of the man next to him never cease. Like a raging bull, he cuts across the room on feet that bring a thunderous clatter against the stone floor. He slams into you heavily, reaching both hands around your neck like the Muay Thai Plumb position. He attempts to slam heavy knees into your face.

You can't combine sword and spell tangled up with this guy at Hand range.

Useless at this range, I drop my fine elven blade to the ground and wriggle my hands inside his Plum position to arrange for a hip toss and to finish him with a hard elbow to the throat.

[sblock]Hack and Slash (Str)
6, 4 + 0 = 10

d8 damage. 5 - 0 armor = 5 damage. Dead.[/sblock]

I grasp the hilt of my dropped sword and stand up from my kneeling position over the newly dead barbarian and look at the rest. "That is three less winter cloaks that will be needed for the trek down the mountain." I sheathe my weapon and walk up to Three Bird. The nearly ruined slaves need cold-weather gear to survive the harsh journey that awaits you. Where might I find this?"

Per Manbearcat
Whatever resolve this group had to stand against you is fully broken. No one else challenges you.

Three Bird looks at the groups' sour but beaten dispositions and probably wonders about mutiny on the trip down the mountain without you to strike fear into their hearts. Without taking his eyes from them, he addresses your query. "Take the fork to the middle caverns. The pantry will be immediately on your left. You'll find what you need there." Looking at you now he quietly says "I'll commission a few to help me lead this exodus from the mountain. Give us some time to sort out the logistics and make preparations. I'll meet you in the other cave in just under an hour's time."

I give him a strong pat on the shoulder and a firm "thank you for your leadership in this. A thousand men and more would shrink from this responsibility."

With that, I cast Unseen Servant to help carry the load of cold-weather gear and head to the pantry for provisions.

[sblock]Cast a Spell (Int) Unseen Servant
2, 4 + 3 = 9

My complication will be that I lose the spell.

Unseen Servant

You conjure a simple invisible construct that can do nothing but carry items. It has Load 2 and carries anything you hand to it. It cannot pick up items on its own and can only carry those you give to it. Items carried by an unseen servant appear to float in the air a few paces behind you. An unseen servant that takes damage or leaves your presence is immediately dispelled.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
Exel and Xanob follow you to the pantry and help you gather the winter gear necessary for the slaves to make the hard trip down the mountain in the inclement weather. Under a stack of cloaks you uncover a Bundle of Arrows (3 Ammo), a precious commodity here as the hunters must take hard journey down the mountain to the sub-alpine territory to harvest the wood at the tree line.

What luck! Saerie's quiver is waning. I unconsciously smile as I gather them. "Fortune favors the bold. Avandra provides for us."

Exel and Xanob and I take our gathered provisions and head back to Saerie.

Binks

Explorer
SAERIE

The young boy sits on his mother's lap as he eats. She holds him around the waist and runs her hand through his hair as she looks at him lovingly. With little notice, he abruptly looks up from his meal of dried meat and quietly says "I know what you want to know. The World Serpent visited me in my sleep. He talked in my mind. He said that someone would come to stop this man that is hurting me and my family. He said to not be afraid...to go with him to the tower and to remember what the man says and does there. Remember for the someone that will come."

He looks around, leans in and whispers a few gobbledeegook words, enunciating very carefully. It must be language because it is too precise with repeat syllables. In the midst of the words he invokes the name Pisaethces. The boy then leans back and pantomimes slitting his own throat. He falls backward, eyes rolling up in his head, feigning death. He opens them and says; "The tower took him."

Obviously I commit the gobbledeegook that the boy relays to memory. I'll make sure he repeats it to Otthor when he returns from Three Bird and the other cave.

When the boy says this to me, I’m a bit shocked. What exactly is this tower? Is the Far Realm actually inside? Is it a pocket dimension with access to the Far Realm? Saerie has transited the planes multiple times and has at least a modicum of understanding of planar transport. Obviously the veil between this world and both the Feywild and the Far Realm is pretty thin here. Saerie wracks her brain to figure out what this tower is.

[sblock]Spout Lore (Int)
4, 3 + 1 = 8

The GM will only tell you something interesting—it’s on you to make it useful.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
Think of the Far Realm as outerspace and the Prime World is your shuttle. The tower is basically an air-lock. Going straight to the Far Realm would kill any human host (eg Ranyon Argoth), thus rendering it useless for possession by an elder entity from the Far Realm that requires that vessel to invade your world. The ancient evil can enter the air lock, take the host, and then enter the prime world.

Weird dimensional magicky- stuff. Effectively, yeah, it’s a pocket dimension.

Just so I can get my head around the mechanics of this, what sort of danger are we putting ourselves in by carrying out this ritual to enter the tower? Mechanically are we talking about going to 0 HP and taking Last Breath? Or are we going to have to Defy Danger with either access to the tower pocket dimension thing or some sort of awful thing happening to us contingent upon the outcome of the roll?

Per Manbearcat
You’re basically talking about a ritual bloodletting, not killing yourselves, combined with the words of transmutation. Then you’re talking about actual discorporation (physical, spiritual, mental). The body isn’t what is at risk here. It is the mind. If your minds can handle the mangling and then reincorporation of your spiritual/mental selves, then you’re good. If they can’t then you’ll be lost to the madness of the Far Realm, soon to mutate into one of its abominations. You’re talking about the following:

DD (Wis)

10 + and you’re good to go
7-9 and take – 1 forward while your scrambling resolves itself
6- TOAST!

Doesn’t that sound awesome!

Hrmmm… not too awesome.

So we can possibly die by transiting our world into this pocket dimension but we can fight human Warlock Ranyon Argoth, slay him, and prevent all this bad stuff from happening.

Alternatively...

We can wait until the ancient Far Realm evil Piscaethus (however the hell you spell it) assimilates Ranyon Argoth and enters our world. And then try to defeat this world mutating monstrosity here on the mountain?

Once Otthor comes back I'll give him the bad news and see if he has any ideas. Also, I when Three Bird returns, I want to talk to him about possibly using the Spirit Realm as a means to access this tower pocket dimension without having to endure this ritual.

Tecklenburg

Explorer
By the gloom-breaking light of my sword, Exel, Xanob, myself, and my Unseen Servant walk back to the other cave. When we arrive, we put the cold weather gear heaped onto the servant on the worktable. The slaves and refugee family will have long since finished their meal.

Exel and Xanob aren't the type to have loose lips so I won't bother instructing them to not tell Saerie what happened in the other cave. I won't bring it up. It isn't necessary that she know what happened and I certainly don't feel particularly well about the needless bloodshed and further loss of life. Even if they chose their own deaths.

When Saerie tells me the boy's tale and what our options are, I walk the table for a moment thinking. When the Blood Queen was revealed to us from just beyond the entropic rift to the Far Realm, Saerie's Spout Lore uncovered the below:

Per Manbearcat
You recall a campfire horror story used for cheap thrills and scares amongst you and your fellow Feywild youths. Pisaethces is "The Blood Queen." The Elder One who is the mother of all aboleths. Her mere presence warps the minds and mutates the flesh of sentient creatures. She cares nothing for her offspring but she is bent on dominating and distorting all of existence.

I'm assuming either I already knew the above or Saerie relayed this bit to me.

Her mere presence warps the minds and mutates the flesh of sentient creatures. Obviously we felt this when we were engaging her through that rift. Just how powerful is this aura effect of hers?

[sblock]Spout Lore (Int)
4, 1 + 3 = 8

The GM will only tell you something interesting. It’s on you to make it useful.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
You felt that through the portal. If she was actually here, on the material plane, it would inevitably be an order of magnitude more virulent. Animals would probably spontaneously change into Far Realm mutates. And it would tug at you ever hearder...

Hmmm...

I'm supremely confident we could take down Ranyon Argoth, but if we go through with that ritual and enter the tower, I'm looking at a little more than 40 % chance of just straight falling over dead on a single roll of the dice. Saerie has a much better chance than that, but who knows.

However, at the same time, it seems like allowing an Elder Evil from the Far Realm into this world is asking for major, major trouble. And I'm not terribly confident we could defeat her...without help...

I wonder if Three Bird could send one of his perigrine falcons to Averandox's lair with a dire message from me? That might even the odds. After Saerie asks him about entering the tower via the Spirit Realm, and avoiding that 40 + % Otthor Is Dead Ritual, I'm going to ask him about it and see what he says.

Remove ads